Shoutbox

Severe chat disappointment and a program suggestion - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Severe chat disappointment and a program suggestion (/showthread.php?tid=29986)

Severe chat disappointment and a program suggestion by tj07 on 08-15-2004 at 08:14 PM

I used to be on this forum quite a bit right when plus! 2 came out. So I decided to com back, specifically in the chat because I had a suggestion. Lovely folks/scripts there. I joined as entr0py. Why? That's the sn I've used on several forums and chats for the last year or so. I'm not whoever was banned. Please unban me! Want proof? Go to short-media.com/forum and shoot me a pm. I hope to be unbanned sometime, even if i need to use another sn, seeing as how they kindly ip/permabanned me.

Anyways, for my suggestion. Ever noticed how msn messenger opens ALL links in IE, due to them both being microsoft products? I think plus! can and should solve this. I use Maxthon as my browser, and it'd be nice if messenger could open links in said browser. Maybe have an option to use the *real* default browser, or at least a list to choose from? Just my 2 cents. Thanks and i hope to chat soon....:)

RE: Severe chat disappointment and a program suggestion by toddy on 08-15-2004 at 08:17 PM

StuffPlug-NG makes the links open in your default browser

RE: Severe chat disappointment and a program suggestion by RebelSean on 08-15-2004 at 08:19 PM

SPNG has this feature. But would indeed be a nice feature in plus...U can get SPNG here

RE: Severe chat disappointment and a program suggestion by DXtremz on 08-15-2004 at 08:27 PM

LOL. No no, you joined right as we were being attacked by bots, so you got G:Lined along with the bots. Had nothing to do with old user names or anything. Come on back. You've been unbanned.

Sorry again, but you joined at a bad time. I think Vazza was banned as well, both of you have been unbanned, the bots are still banned though :p

RE: Severe chat disappointment and a program suggestion by tj07 on 08-15-2004 at 08:28 PM

You guys are quick! but...it has an option to open Hotmail links apparently, but regular links in chats don't seem to open with my default browser...

//EDIT: Alright, thanks DX. All i saw was something about "was like entr0py or somethin along those lines. he banned vazza, too" and i assumed I was targeted...sorry for the confusion 8-) Thanks for unbanning me :)

RE: Severe chat disappointment and a program suggestion by toddy on 08-15-2004 at 08:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tj07
You guys are quick! but...it has an option to open Hotmail links apparently, but regular links in chats don't seem to open with my default browser...
well those links are meant to open in defualy browser anyway, aren't they ?
RE: Severe chat disappointment and a program suggestion by tj07 on 08-15-2004 at 08:31 PM

They don't, that's the thing. They'll open in IE regardless of what I set as my default (MyIE2, Firefox, Maxthon...doesn't matter).

RE: Severe chat disappointment and a program suggestion by tj07 on 08-16-2004 at 04:42 AM

Well what the crap. Winblows XP, SP2? (it did it with sp1 as well).

RE: Severe chat disappointment and a program suggestion by Grue on 08-16-2004 at 05:31 AM

The open hotmail inbox with default browser feature in Stuff Plug NG will not work with Maxthon (or MyIE2). I don't know why, but it does work with other browsers such as firefox.

RE: Severe chat disappointment and a program suggestion by tj07 on 08-16-2004 at 07:32 AM

Oh lovely. I have such wonderful luck. Of the tens of browsers out there, I choose the one that's fubar'd. Thanks for letting me know at least :)

RE: Severe chat disappointment and a program suggestion by RaceProUK on 08-16-2004 at 09:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Grue
The open hotmail inbox with default browser feature in Stuff Plug NG will not work with Maxthon (or MyIE2). I don't know why, but it does work with other browsers such as firefox.
Let me guess: they're both based on IE? If so, that's why.
RE: RE: Severe chat disappointment and a program suggestion by Grue on 08-17-2004 at 01:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
quote:

Yep, they are
RE: Severe chat disappointment and a program suggestion by tj07 on 08-17-2004 at 05:29 AM

...Why does that matter?

RE: Severe chat disappointment and a program suggestion by RaceProUK on 08-17-2004 at 09:18 AM

If they are just a 'shell' for IE, IE remains the default.

RE: Severe chat disappointment and a program suggestion by Millenium_edition on 08-17-2004 at 12:19 PM

that doesn't really matter i think... try running this (start/run)

code:
c:\<path to maxthon>\<maxthon main exe> http://www.msn.com
if it opens msn.com, it should normally work <_<
RE: Severe chat disappointment and a program suggestion by tj07 on 08-19-2004 at 03:20 AM

It won't even take it ... no matter what I try it won't run it. "Windows cannot find C:\Program blah blah"

RE: RE: Severe chat disappointment and a program suggestion by Grue on 08-19-2004 at 03:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition
that doesn't really matter i think... try running this (start/run)
code:
c:\<path to maxthon>\<maxthon main exe> http://www.msn.com
if it opens msn.com, it should normally work <_<

I tried to run
code:
C:\Program Files\Maxthon\Maxthon.exe http://www.msn.com

and

code:
C:\Program Files\Maxthon\Maxthon http://www.msn.com

both of which gave the error
quote:
Windows cannot find 'C:/Program'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search.

RE: Severe chat disappointment and a program suggestion by Tochjo on 08-19-2004 at 07:38 AM

Put it in quotes, i.e.
"C:\Program Files\Maxthon\Maxthon.exe" http://www.msn.com

RE: Severe chat disappointment and a program suggestion by Grue on 08-20-2004 at 07:18 AM

Okay, putting it in quotes did work and it did open http://www.msn.com just fine in Maxthon

RE: Severe chat disappointment and a program suggestion by tj07 on 08-22-2004 at 07:29 PM

Yep, same here...so why does messenger still use IE instead of Maxthon?

RE: Severe chat disappointment and a program suggestion by RebelSean on 08-22-2004 at 07:30 PM

Are you sure that you have checked the option in the StuffPlug preferences, and then have restarted msn messenger?

RE: RE: Severe chat disappointment and a program suggestion by Grue on 08-22-2004 at 07:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Sean
Are you sure that you have checked the option in the StuffPlug preferences, and then have restarted msn messenger?

Yes yes i am sure... It does not work with Maxthon or MyIE2, apperently because it is based on IE, but i don't know
RE: Severe chat disappointment and a program suggestion by tj07 on 08-22-2004 at 07:40 PM

Same here, I restarted it, etc. and it refuses to work.

RE: Severe chat disappointment and a program suggestion by RaceProUK on 08-22-2004 at 08:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
quote:
I should elaborate on this a little: this is a theory, so far shown to be true. If someone can find a couter-case, then we can work on finding what the true problem is.
Addition: Also, check Control Panel | Add/Remove Progams | Set Program Access and Defaults (XP only)
RE: Severe chat disappointment and a program suggestion by Grue on 08-22-2004 at 08:40 PM

Yeah I have looked at that, Maxthon is not listed in it. There is just Internet Explorer and Use My Current Web Browser to choose from. I have Use My Current Web Browser selected

RE: Severe chat disappointment and a program suggestion by RaceProUK on 08-22-2004 at 08:56 PM

*ding ding ding*
That dialog should list all installed browsers. As it doesn't list Maxthon, that means that it isn't a browser in its own right: more likely an IE shell. This will therefore explain your problem fully.

Of course, this means that there is no workaround that I know of. Sorry.

RE: Severe chat disappointment and a program suggestion by tj07 on 08-23-2004 at 12:04 AM

Why not? Can't you point messenger to the Maxthon exe? Why does it need to be the default browser? (I'm not ignorant, just confused is all :P)

RE: Severe chat disappointment and a program suggestion by RaceProUK on 08-23-2004 at 09:26 AM

I don't know how Messenger and SPNG handle this default browser stuff, but just pointing Messenger/SPNG to Maxthon, while it would work, would require a significant recoding on SPNG's part.

RE: Severe chat disappointment and a program suggestion by tj07 on 08-25-2004 at 03:41 PM

Well, I dunno how to make a .cmd file, but I couldn't get that to work. I tried also pointing that reg key to maxthon.exe and it didn't work.

RE: Severe chat disappointment and a program suggestion by RaceProUK on 08-25-2004 at 09:43 PM

You don't want a .cmd file, you want a .bat file.

RE: RE: Severe chat disappointment and a program suggestion by Grue on 08-25-2004 at 11:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by buqingzi
I have an ugly hack. No let me elaborate... it's ugly.

1) Create a file name "Hotmail.cmd" somewhere...
write in it:

@C:\Program Files\maxthon.exe http://www.hotmail.com

(or where the hell your x browser exe is)
2) Login to your Hotmail account... Click "Sign me in automatically" at the login page.

3) Regedit

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\ {0002DF01-0000-0000-C000-000000000046} \LocalServer32

and change the reg key to "C:\....*your directory*...\Hotmail.cmd"

It's ugly.
Have I told you it's ugly yet?

Okay I did all of this and when i click to go to my email inbox in messenger it flashes this command prompt with nothing in it that says at the top C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe. It flashes it for like a millisecond then it does nothing. I tried it with both a .cmd file and a .bat, both of which do the exact same thing. It also does this exact same thing when i open Hotmail.cmd and Hotmail.bat
RE: RE: Severe chat disappointment and a program suggestion by Grue on 08-26-2004 at 09:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by buqingzi
basically, I've told you the key that needs to be modified for the hack to work. all you got to do is figure out a way to ask your default browser to open www.hotmail.com. I'm not a batch script expert so I can't really help you in this. but I tried it with firefox a few days ago, and it works. In theory, it should be no different for any browser but maybe maxthon takes the parameter slightly differently from firefox, I don't know.
Experiment with the .cmd file. Personally I don't know the difference between .cmd and .bat so if anyone can enlighten me to it I'll be grateful.

edit: To see the "DOS" thingy window put ' @echo on ' as the first line of the .cmd file. The output might be useful to help you to debug this.

Sweet! I got it working! Turns out that i needed to put C:\Program Files\maxthon\maxthon.exe in quotes. Thanks for your help
RE: Severe chat disappointment and a program suggestion by tj07 on 08-29-2004 at 12:33 AM

(sorry I'm a bit late) but Grue - does this work for regular links in messenger chat windows now, too??

//EDIT: Oh, when I tried this before (attempting to use a .cmd...) it broke my links in messenger chat windows ... just so you know, but a reinstall will prolly fix it.

little update - it didn't fix it. i can't click links in windows...at all...

RE: RE: Severe chat disappointment and a program suggestion by Grue on 08-29-2004 at 06:27 AM

quote:
(sorry I'm a bit late) but Grue - does this work for regular links in messenger chat windows now, too??

Hmmm... I didn't notice before now but when I click a link in a chat window, it just opens hotmail.com. Its alright though as i don't recieve that many links in chat windows, and its not hard to copy and paste. It would be nice though if there was a different key to change instead that would fix this problem.

quote:
//EDIT: Oh, when I tried this before (attempting to use a .cmd...) it broke my links in messenger chat windows ... just so you know, but a reinstall will prolly fix it.

So you said you didn't know how to create a cmd file, but that you changed the registry key to maxthon right? That is probably why the links don't work. You need to go back to regedit and go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\ {0002DF01-0000-0000-C000-000000000046} \LocalServer32 and change that reg key to C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE  That should fix your problems.  Or if you want i can tell you how to make a cmd file and you can get hotmail to open with maxthon even though the links in conversation windows will not work. Just ask me if you want.

quote:
little update - it didn't fix it. i can't click links in windows...at all...

What other links can't you click in windows? The ones from msn messenger at what others?
RE: Severe chat disappointment and a program suggestion by tj07 on 08-31-2004 at 09:49 PM

Oop, yep, thanks for making me go check that. I accidentally hit ';' instead of ':'. Thanks! But now if only we could get these links to open in our faithful Maxthon! :'( :P

RE: Severe chat disappointment and a program suggestion by Grue on 09-03-2004 at 04:07 AM

Yeah I could try to get a registry watcher and try that, but the question is that if I uninstall, then reinstall messenger, would it delete this registry key? or would it just keep the key then use it when i reinstall messenger?
I too wonder how TB was able to do it...

RE: Severe chat disappointment and a program suggestion by Grue on 09-03-2004 at 09:01 PM

I couldn't delete the key manually because i dont know which key it is... right? Isn't that the point of trying  a registry watcher? which btw i couldn't find a good one of.... so now i am pretty clueless...

RE: Severe chat disappointment and a program suggestion by tj07 on 09-03-2004 at 09:50 PM

Oh, if the key you're talking about that would "recreate the key on reinstallation" is the one we tried before, changing it to Maxthon.exe instead of IEXPLORE.EXE, then no, it doesn't work. I reinstall messenger, and it did NOT fix the key, and yet until I figured out what I did wrong (hit ; instead), links in chat windows wouldn't work. Curse you Microsoft *shakes fist*!

RE: Severe chat disappointment and a program suggestion by Grue on 09-03-2004 at 10:02 PM

No we are not talking about that key... we are thinking that there might be a different key to change instead of that one which would allow the links clicked in the chat window to actually open those instead of opening hotmail.

RE: Severe chat disappointment and a program suggestion by tj07 on 09-04-2004 at 04:41 AM

I gave it a shot, cuz, well I'm really bored lol. But I tried it, and couldn't find any relevent keys. Maybe I don't understand them entirely, but there were only maybe three that it went for - one was the one that was discussed, another one that ... doesn't exist, yes seems to be able to access it, however the attempt -right- after it always fails. One nice thing about that app, buq, is that you can double click something and it'll take you right to that regkey. Notice: I tried doing this with just messenger running, and then I typed a link, waited a quarter to a half second (that's all it takes to have literally hundreds or even thousands of accesses for different apps) and 'captured' it. I couldn't find anything :-/

RE: Severe chat disappointment and a program suggestion by Grue on 09-04-2004 at 06:51 AM

It is a very nice program, good find. I tried it although I also was not able to find any keys that might be one that we are looking for..