Shoutbox

New signature size limit - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: New signature size limit (/showthread.php?tid=29998)

New signature size limit by WDZ on 08-16-2004 at 06:21 AM

There is now a CSS-based automatic size limit on signatures. All signatures higher than 125 pixels (this was voted on by the staff and elite members) or wider than your browser window will be cut off. You can see an example in my current sig.

Profiles will still show the entire signatures.

Also, there's a new signature separator as I posted in a T&T thread a few days ago. :p

You can post comments or problems in this thread. I'd be interested to know if everything works right in Mozilla... I've only tested Opera 7 and IE 6.

RE: New signature size limit by lopardo on 08-16-2004 at 06:46 AM

Everything seems to work fine under Mozilla Firefox 0.9.3, the new signature separator works fine (even if I don't like it :dodgy: :refuck:) and your signature scrolls fine (one thing though: you said in T&T that scrollbars sucked, but how do you tell if there's something more as it is right now?).

how many times did I say the words "signature" and "fine"? :lol:

EDIT: Your sig doesn't scroll in IE.

RE: New signature size limit by Chestah on 08-16-2004 at 06:50 AM

In IE it doesn't cut off as much, in my firefox i can't see any of the writing just under your pulse sig. Ie shows about half of your writing and ":P" emoticon :P thats all so far that i've found, not that it matters in the slightest, but meh ;)

RE: New signature size limit by WDZ on 08-16-2004 at 06:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lopardo
EDIT: Your sig doesn't scroll in IE.
Good; it's not supposed to.

It doesn't scroll in Opera either. Dodgy Mozilla. :p
RE: New signature size limit by lopardo on 08-16-2004 at 06:54 AM

If it's not supposed to scroll then no scrollbars are needed :)

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
It doesn't scroll in Opera either. Dodgy Mozilla. :P
Well, it's not that easy to make it scroll in Firefox... :)

And BTW, I still get a horizontal scrollbar with your sig.
RE: New signature size limit by Eljay on 08-16-2004 at 06:57 AM

i tested in all three browsers
firefox: cuts off writing entirely but u can scroll
opera: cuts off half of writing and u cant scroll
ie: cuts off half of writing and u cant scroll
in ie tough if u search for timeline which is at the bottom of the sig it finds it and scrolls the sig down but thats just me being fussy :refuck:

RE: New signature size limit by Chestah on 08-16-2004 at 07:02 AM

mine doesn't scroll in firefox lol

RE: New signature size limit by lopardo on 08-16-2004 at 07:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lopardo in the other thread
I don't see any scrollbars, but I'm using Firefox and if I middle-click your sig. and scroll down with the mouse wheel, it scrolls down :)
It's not that easy :)
RE: New signature size limit by Anubis on 08-16-2004 at 07:47 AM

I had to do a deep refresh for the signature separator to show, and imo it's not as nice as the old one that was a partial line separating the post from sig, looked very nice on a 1024x768 resolution especially...I still wish there was an option to change my signature separator in the user cp, any chance of this?
Also the sig does indeed cut off more in Firefox than IE...I prefer how it looks in IE

RE: New signature size limit by WDZ on 08-16-2004 at 07:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
the old one that was a partial line separating the post from sig, looked very nice on a 1024x768 resolution especially...
Even with a centered signature? I don't think so... :p

quote:
I still wish there was an option to change my signature separator in the user cp, any chance of this?
Uhh... maybe, but it's not important enough to justify storing it in the DB. Maybe it could use a cookie. I'll only add it if there's enough demand.

Anyway, the current (default) separator could still be changed to something that everybody is happy with... I dunno...

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
Also the sig does indeed cut off more in Firefox than IE...I prefer how it looks in IE
The way it looks in IE is the way I intended it to look. I have no idea why FireFox would show it differently. Screenshot?
RE: New signature size limit by Anubis on 08-16-2004 at 08:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Anyway, the current (default) separator could still be changed to something that everybody is happy with... I dunno...
I highly doubt you'll get everyone happy with one option...
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Even with a centred signature? I don't think so...
Yeah, that looked a little dodgy, but still better than it is today...it has a weird bulky feel...
I'm going to start a Poll to see if people agree that there should be an option to change the sig separator in your user cp...
RE: New signature size limit by GiantSpider on 08-16-2004 at 08:36 AM

Erm sorry if i'm the only one but I can't see the separator.

RE: New signature size limit by WDZ on 08-16-2004 at 08:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by GiantSpider
Erm sorry if i'm the only one but I can't see the separator.
Do a complete refresh (Ctrl+F5 in IE) or clear your cache...
RE: New signature size limit by Sunshine on 08-16-2004 at 09:48 AM

Can the width be limited a bit more, still have ta scroll :( If u start the page u have to scroll to see the complete posttekst meanin u scroll the avatarcolum away (you have to scroll back to see who posted). Soz if this sounds like complainin, it isnt ment that way.

RE: New signature size limit by WDZ on 08-16-2004 at 09:56 AM

I can't set the width to a fixed size, because there are many different sizes of browser windows. This is how it's supposed to look, just cut off at the edge of the window (notice that the MsgPlus logo isn't shown)...

I hope any issues with Mozilla can eventually be solved... I still haven't seen a screenshot... :p

RE: New signature size limit by user27089 on 08-16-2004 at 10:04 AM

I don't think that its compatible with firefox 0.92 and below, it just looks as if it is part of your post.

RE: New signature size limit by Menthix on 08-16-2004 at 10:39 AM

Here you go WDZ :). I must say i still have a horizontal scrollbar too when my window goes below a certain width (about 800 pixels is my guess :s). Using Firefox 0.9.3.

RE: New signature size limit by RebelSean on 08-16-2004 at 11:22 AM

DZ, Your sig is makin me have a horizontal bar in IE. :dodgy: But glad ya added this (y)

Heres a screenie!

RE: RE: New signature size limit by Sunshine on 08-16-2004 at 11:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
I can't set the width to a fixed size, because there are many different sizes of browser windows. This is how it's supposed to look, just cut off at the edge of the window (notice that the MsgPlus logo isn't shown)...

I hope any issues with Mozilla can eventually be solved... I still haven't seen a screenshot... :p

It doesnt look like in ur attachment for me in IE..see my attachment.

Edit: maybe its because i prefer my screensetting to be 800x600
RE: New signature size limit by Anubis on 08-16-2004 at 12:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
I don't think that its compatible with firefox 0.92 and below, it just looks as if it is part of your post.
Do a deep refresh Ctrl+F5...this is a known occurrence...
RE: New signature size limit by Menthix on 08-16-2004 at 12:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
I must say i still have a horizontal scrollbar too when my window goes below a certain width (about 800 pixels is my guess ). Using Firefox 0.9.3.
That's fixed, my windows was actually a lot above 800 pixels wide, but you only get a scrollbar when...
  • You resize a big window to a smaller window that is bigger then 800 pixels wide but don't refresh (F5) the page.
  • Your window is smaller then 800 pixels.
So all good in Firefox, except for the max height being lower then in IE.

However, in my Internet Explorer (v6/WinXP) the width resize doesn't seem to work at all and it looks like i'm not the only one. See the attachment.
RE: New signature size limit by Dane on 08-16-2004 at 05:16 PM

Ugh...I think this is stupid, you completely buggered my sig :|.

RE: New signature size limit by Menthix on 08-16-2004 at 06:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dane
you completely buggered my sig
Then do the thing what this feature was designed for in the first place: Make your signature smaller.

For instance, we know your name is dane, having a huge part of your name surounded by a texture doesn't make that better/prettier/nicer/more usefull. You could also make the link to Messenger Plus! Zone a bit smaller. No offence, it's just that this is exactly why we discussed and implented the signature limit.
RE: New signature size limit by Choli on 08-16-2004 at 07:38 PM

Good work WDZ, however it isn't still finished :P As people said before, in Avant I still see the horizontal scroll bar (remember that i have 800*600). other people's screen shots of IE are just the same i'm seeing.

RE: New signature size limit by lopardo on 08-16-2004 at 08:51 PM

There's something dodgy... some pages looks OK (no horizontal scrollbar) and some (like this one) do show a horizontal scrollbar (but there are no big signatures or anything!)... I'm using 1024x768 and a maximized Firefox window :)

RE: New signature size limit by Kryptonate on 08-16-2004 at 09:49 PM

WDZ, you're sig is fckd up :p.

The seperator is no problem in IE, but, like Anubis said, in Mozilla I had to do a refresh before I could see it.

RE: New signature size limit by RebelSean on 08-16-2004 at 10:11 PM

It is. It makes me have a horizontal bar, which absolutly bugs the hell outa me. :dodgy:

RE: New signature size limit by Moo on 08-16-2004 at 10:56 PM

I dont care about that bar

RE: New signature size limit by Chrono on 08-16-2004 at 11:06 PM

same as choli and the others, the feature wont work here (800*600, tested on avant and IE6)

RE: New signature size limit by WDZ on 08-17-2004 at 01:02 AM

quote:
However, in my Internet Explorer (v6/WinXP) the width resize doesn't seem to work at all and it looks like i'm not the only one. See the attachment.

Attachment: IE6_width_resize_bug.jpg (252.69 KB)
That really doesn't show anything... :-/

What happens if you decrease the width of that browser window? :p

quote:
Originally posted by lopardo
There's something dodgy... some pages looks OK (no horizontal scrollbar) and some (like this one) do show a horizontal scrollbar (but there are no big signatures or anything!)...
No big images/screenshots in posts?

Another thing that could cause horizontal scrolling is the navigation bar at the top in the MP!3 theme. Your browser window basically has a minimum width because of that.
RE: New signature size limit by lopardo on 08-17-2004 at 02:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
No big images/screenshots in posts?

Another thing that could cause horizontal scrolling is the navigation bar at the top in the MP!3 theme. Your browser window basically has a minimum width because of that.

No, I have the window maximized and I'm using a 1024x768 screen resolution.
RE: New signature size limit by Menthix on 08-17-2004 at 12:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
That really doesn't show anything...
It shows that your sig is not being resize?

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
What happens if you decrease the width of that browser window?
Not much, except from a bigger horizontal scrollbar. Pressing F5 or clearing chache won't help either.

RE: New signature size limit by WDZ on 08-18-2004 at 01:29 AM

quote:
It shows that your sig is not being resize?
Oh, now that I look at it again, you're right... :|

Well, I dunno how to limit the width in IE... yet... I guess I'll just resize my sig so it doesn't bother you. :-/
RE: New signature size limit by Chrono on 08-18-2004 at 01:34 AM

w00t, thx wdz :P

RE: New signature size limit by WDZ on 08-18-2004 at 01:38 AM

Well Chrono, looks like mods will still have to remove wide sigs... :tongue:

RE: New signature size limit by RebelSean on 08-18-2004 at 01:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ

What was wrong wit doing this before, besides givin yall work?
RE: New signature size limit by Johnny_Mac on 08-18-2004 at 01:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Sean
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ

What was wrong wit doing this before, besides givin yall work?
It was more about what limits we should accept as a forum. Its called consistancy. :P

Mod siscretion will obviously still be used too. (A)