Shoutbox

Inserting Quick Icons - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Inserting Quick Icons (/showthread.php?tid=30004)

Inserting Quick Icons by Dr. Hugh on 08-16-2004 at 08:30 AM

Plus > Preferences > Message Helpers > Quick Icons > Configure.
The Window "Custom emoticons" appears next, but how do I insert Emoticons in the different panels?
There is a button "add new" which is inoperative.
I have a whole set of Emoticons downloaded to a folder but I seem unable to reach that folder and insert custom emoticons :o.
Anyone who knows the proper procedure?
Thanks.

RE: Inserting Quick Icons by RaceProUK on 08-16-2004 at 09:39 AM

You only seem to be able to add them to panels 3-5.

RE: Inserting Quick Icons by Tochjo on 08-16-2004 at 10:47 AM

You can add emoticons to whichever panel you would like.
You have to set the boxes correctly though; if you choose to automatically add custom emoticons to a certain panel, you are not able to add them to other panels, I believe :)

You should see your custom emoticons in the lowest box. Clicking on one of them enables the Add New button. Then you should be able to add them.

RE: Inserting Quick Icons by Dr. Hugh on 08-16-2004 at 12:39 PM

Tochjo and Raceprouk,

I found a way to get Custom Emoticons into any of the five panels, but it is a fairly time consuming procedure *-).

First you have to import Emoticons (from any folder) to your MSN under Tools > Create Emoticons.
Each Emoticon then requires a sequence of characters that you my randomly choose.
You can put up to 10 extra Emoticons in your default MSN Emoticon file.

All newly imported Emoticons (any number more than 10) are now also visible in Plus under the Preferences tab and you can check them one by one and add them to any of the panels.

I wish our mysterious friend Patchou would provide some more explanation on that topic, but there isn't much to find in the FAQ.
Who is this 23 year old Whiz'Kid Patchou anyway? An American or French guy? The name sounds pretty much French to me ;) ...

RE: Inserting Quick Icons by Tochjo on 08-16-2004 at 02:18 PM

Dr. Hugh, the way you described is exactly the correct one :)

Patchou is born in France, but now lives in Quebec, Canada.

RE: Inserting Quick Icons by Dr. Hugh on 08-16-2004 at 02:33 PM

Heyo Tochjo,

Aged 17 you seem like a very clever guy (H).
So here is another question for you. To get rid of these boring ad popups on the bottom of MSN I installed the Crystal patch for vs. 6.2 that removes the ads.
However, MSN is always launching new versions about every 3 weeks. And then again, there are your ads appearing.

Apparently in Plus there is a feature that removes ads too. Does that concern the ads I mentioned?
If so, there is no use applying an ad-free patch and always update MSN to the latest version.

Yes I more or less figured out Patchou was a French Canadian living in Québec. But thanks for the info (Y)

Best wishes,
                          Dr. Hugh

RE: Inserting Quick Icons by Tochjo on 08-16-2004 at 02:38 PM

Thanks for the compliment :D

quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Hugh
in Plus there is a feature that removes ads too. Does that concern the ads I mentioned?
I think it does, if I understood you correctly. Go to Plus! > Preferences > Contact List and enable the first option (Hide advertisement banner). Then click OK and see if it has the effect you would like (of course, when you have a non-patched version of Messenger; you won't see any difference if a patch removed it already ;)).
RE: Inserting Quick Icons by Dr. Hugh on 08-16-2004 at 10:16 PM

Have you tried it yet?
I would like to know if it really works before downloading the newer version. I have 6.2 now but there is an update available. When I installed that I got the ads below, so I applied a Ghost Image to restore the OS ^o)

RE: Inserting Quick Icons by Tochjo on 08-16-2004 at 10:21 PM

quote:
Have you tried it yet?
I tried it, and it works, but I don't know if you mean the same banner:
[Image: attachment.php?pid=292824]

If you mean that one too, then it works (Y):)
RE: Inserting Quick Icons by Dr. Hugh on 08-16-2004 at 10:47 PM

That's indeed the one I meant. That banner always turns into ads.
The look of the MSN window I now have (due to the Crystal Patch) is without that banner.

RE: Inserting Quick Icons by Tochjo on 08-16-2004 at 10:47 PM

The option in Plus! will do exactly that :)

RE: Inserting Quick Icons by Dr. Hugh on 08-18-2004 at 09:45 PM

Heyo Tochjo,

I updated MSN Messenger and didn't realize these red & yellow buddies were due to the Crystal Patch. (H)
Now I've got the purple & green buddies again and that ad banner has indeed gone by checking the box you mentioned.

Something else I found. You can make your MSN window transparent from 0 to 100 %. It seems like our wonderkid Patchou has provided more options than I ever could have imagined! Will have to discover more goodies! :)

Bye now!
                        Dr. Hugh

RE: Inserting Quick Icons by RaceProUK on 08-18-2004 at 09:48 PM

quote:
Something else I found. You can make your MSN window transparent from 0 to 100 %.
0% to 80%</pedantic>
RE: Inserting Quick Icons by Dr. Hugh on 08-18-2004 at 09:57 PM

Raceprouk,

So it' 80 % right? Well, I've positioned the arrow on 50 % and that gives a fine result. I can now look throught the MSN window and see the Theme Desktop.

By the way, I noticed you're 19. How come that all guys on this forum are so young and bright? I feel like a vintage car :$ from the fifties :D

RE: Inserting Quick Icons by Millenium_edition on 08-18-2004 at 09:59 PM

that's probably because older people don't use the internet for fun, only for work and e-mail. also, they mostly don't know how to use a computer, so public forums are a huge step for them. :)

RE: Inserting Quick Icons by Dr. Hugh on 08-18-2004 at 10:17 PM

Not only for fun, you know?
I published lots of Walkthroughs of games on the Internet.
Now I see you're 14, boy that makes me dizzy. Good to know that so many youngans are good with compies (H)