Shoutbox

what router would you recommend - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: what router would you recommend (/showthread.php?tid=30008)

what router would you recommend by -dt- on 08-16-2004 at 12:15 PM

im looking for a router because im getting sick of the software ones. ive never bought a router before so what would you recomend and why?
if it matters i have adsl 512/126k

RE: what router would you recommend by dotNorma on 08-16-2004 at 12:19 PM

My connection is genereally 1MB but normally is lower like 800k and my friend on the exact same ISP with the same service got a D-Link Extreme G router and it rocketed his speeds up to 100MB!

RE: what router would you recommend by bach_m on 08-16-2004 at 01:35 PM

I have a Linksys router, and it works perfectly. i would easily recomend any of their products. They arre easy to set up.

RE: what router would you recommend by Jeronimo on 08-16-2004 at 01:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by NoName
My connection is genereally 1MB but normally is lower like 800k and my friend on the exact same ISP with the same service got a D-Link Extreme G router and it rocketed his speeds up to 100MB!
You sure that he doesn't mean his internal network is now 100Mbits??

I have only used Linksys routers in the past, but they've given me no headaches. If you are on ADSL its probable that you have a USB modem. Most routers uses ethernet to connect to modems, so either get a router with a built in modem, or check your current modem and be prepared to factor in the price of a new modem ;)
RE: what router would you recommend by Menthix on 08-16-2004 at 01:50 PM

I haven't had more then 2 routers so can't say that much.

My first router was a Sweex 4-port broadband router. They are cheap but lack a lot of features, also after just i few monts in started to notice random disconnects from my LAN, a few months after that a port died, few weeks after that a second port died and i smacked the thing against the wall. No more cheap routers for me. I also saw other cheap routers at friends, many have diffrent names but are exactly the same inside. Problems with most of them is bad documentation, poor port-forwardng/NAT/security, they crash sometimes at long uptimes/many connections and port just die on some models.

After my Sweex died i bought a Draytek Vigor 2200E (they sell the 2600 instead of 2200 now), i must admit it was about 2 or 3 times the price i paid for the Sweex, but they sure last at least 2 or 3 times longer then a Sweex too. Good support, firmware updates if needed. Great uptimes and deals with many connections (long Emule/Bittorrent sessions). Superb documentation and way more features (y).

RE: what router would you recommend by -dt- on 08-16-2004 at 02:10 PM

yea im prepered to buy a new modem but i would prefer a combo with a modem and a router. yea i bought a cheap one and i got pretty annoyed at it because it would never dial to the internet...long story short it dosnt work anymore.
at the moment ive got my main pc set up with a "router type program" that acts like a software router and i just have my usb adsl modem plugged into that but its a hassle thats why im looking for a router because they seem alot easieir

RE: what router would you recommend by .blade// on 08-16-2004 at 02:20 PM

If you can wait a few months, go to a store like futureshop on boxing day and buy one. If you just need a wired one you can get one REALLY cheap (I got an SMC wireless [though slow when wireless :P] router for $15 Canadian on boxing day @ futureshop!)

RE: what router would you recommend by The Napster on 08-16-2004 at 03:18 PM

Ive got the Gigaset SE505, its a good modem (i find) and its not very expensive, here anyways.

[Image: SE505_1.jpg]

RE: what router would you recommend by Garndell on 08-16-2004 at 05:33 PM

When it comes to Routers D-Link, Belkin & Linksys are the best of the bunch.  Check through their catalogues for the models to suit your exact requirements.  Quick note aboue Wireless, if you are interested in purely internet then anything higher than your connection is fine, if a Network for Gaming is required you will want a minimum of a 54Mbit Wireless or better yet a 100Mbit wired one.  Most wireless routers have both wired and wireless on them so they are often a better all round bet.

RE: what router would you recommend by wj on 08-16-2004 at 05:54 PM

A nice cisco 2650 would be nice. If you buy that one I'd trade you a Linksys BEFSR11 (I think) but I doubt you want to spend that much money on the hardware, let alone training.

RE: what router would you recommend by Wabz on 08-17-2004 at 11:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by wj
A nice cisco 2650

* Wabz drools

I'll program it for a fee :P 

I'm a Cisco Certified Network Associate!

RE: what router would you recommend by -dt- on 08-17-2004 at 11:46 AM

lol a cisco 2650 is a bit expensive for me

RE: what router would you recommend by DJeX on 08-20-2004 at 12:14 AM

Go with D-Link (Y) very good routers www.dlink.com