Shoutbox

Uninstaller suggestions - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Bug Reports (/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+----- Thread: Uninstaller suggestions (/showthread.php?tid=30024)

Uninstaller suggestions by Millenium_edition on 08-16-2004 at 05:20 PM

Would it be possible to improve the uninstaller so that it terminates msgplus.exe and then deletes the files =/ ? I hate it to restart my system and i certainely hate it having entries removed in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run ...

RE: Uninstaller suggestions by Menthix on 08-16-2004 at 06:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition
hate it to restart my system
Me too, but i guess you restart your computer sometime? Mine runs 2 weeks straight sometimes, then i reboot and Plus! will remove it's files. That the files stay there for like 2 weeks doesn't hurt anything. The reason that files aren't deleted before a reboot is to avoid problems that are possibly still in use by other programs/plugins.

quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition
hate it having entries removed in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
As far as i know it only removes it's own entry there, which makes perfect sense.
RE: Uninstaller suggestions by Millenium_edition on 08-16-2004 at 06:39 PM

it did remove all of them on my system.

RE: Uninstaller suggestions by Patchou on 08-17-2004 at 05:02 PM

Well, Plus! tries to delete everything it can but because of the nature of global hooking, I can never be sure that some files aren't locked, even if Messenger is not running anymore. However, the uninstaller does uninstall everything else so appart from a couple of "dead" files that will be deleted at the next startup, everything else is gone, which means that you really don't need o restart immediately except if you need the extra 2Mb of space :p.

RE: Uninstaller suggestions by Millenium_edition on 08-17-2004 at 06:30 PM

it's just annoying especially if you're going for a reinstall or something =/

RE: Uninstaller suggestions by Patchou on 08-18-2004 at 07:13 AM

Well, if you're going to reinstall Plus!, don't worry about it, it will work just as fine. Files that are locked will be bypassed by creating new ones with altered names.