Shoutbox

slow start-up - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: slow start-up (/showthread.php?tid=30253)

slow start-up by Eljay on 08-21-2004 at 07:40 AM

i just cant figure why my comp takes so long to load
there are 2 accounts on my PC
mine and my dads
my dads account loads really fast
but mine takes ages
now the only program i have loading on startup that my dad doesnt is messenger plus!
i know this is not the reason but i cant figure out what is
any ideas??

RE: slow start-up by doughboyy on 08-21-2004 at 08:31 AM

hey. marissa told me to say that you should to go to start > run > "msconfig" > start up > and to remove anything unneeded items

RE: slow start-up by Anubis on 08-21-2004 at 08:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by doughboyy
that you should to go to start > run > "msconfig" > start up > and to remove anything unneeded items
quote:
Originally posted by leejeffery
now the only program i have loading on startup that my dad doesnt is messenger plus!
So this can't be a solution :p

Another possibility is that you have lots of files in your account your Dad doesn't, that windows quickly processes at start up. Saving these files let's them fragment all over your hard drive and when windows quickly checks through your documents at login it has to search for all the little shreds on your Hard Disk. Try defragmenting all partitions on your HDD and see if the problem continues...

Edit:
quote:
Originally posted by doughboyy

hey. marissa told me to say that you should to go to start > run > "msconfig" > start up > and to remove anything unneeded items
Posting for banned members is not allowed; you should have just given that advice and not mentioned Marissa
RE: slow start-up by Eljay on 08-21-2004 at 09:45 AM

ok i defragged and then i rebooted my comp and im still getting slooooooooooow startup
the thing that seems to be taking up all the memory is norton parental control but i cant turn it off because my dad has it password protected :(
EDIT: the weird thing is my docsand settings folder is 100mb
but my dads is 300mb so how can his be faster :S