Shoutbox

Getting rid of the search bar? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Getting rid of the search bar? (/showthread.php?tid=30270)

Getting rid of the search bar? by ~Syntheah~ on 08-21-2004 at 06:49 PM

Right, here's the story; I downloaded the new MSN that they've been bugging me to get for ages, I agree to all the stuff etc. Now I end up with a new home page (which I've since set to 'blank') and some ghey search bar things.

So, my question is how do I get rid of them?

(Please answer simply, I'm no computer genius!)

x Syntheah x

RE: Getting rid of the search bar? by Anubis on 08-21-2004 at 07:30 PM

Is the toolbar a hotmail one? Or a blue one called LOP?

If it is the Hotmail one just uninstall MSN Messenger, download it and install it again...to uninstall go to add/remove programs in your control panel (classic view) and search for MSN Messenger and then uninstall it, go to MSN Messenger's website and download it and install it again, this time make sure you don't select to install the hotmail toolbar...

If it is the blue LOP one, go to add/remove programs in your control panel (classic view) and search for Messenger Plus! and uninstall it (follow through all the options) then go to the Messenger Plus! website and download and install it, be sure not to install the optional sponsor program...

If you are unsure which it is, post a screenshot (picture) and we can show you...Or if you prefer just describe it some more, but by the sound of it you are most likely referring to is the hotmail one...

RE: Getting rid of the search bar? by ~Syntheah~ on 08-21-2004 at 07:53 PM

I'm not entirely sure it's either of the ones you've described. It's grey and resembles the grey bits you would find on Microsoft 2000 windows. The homepage (that I've since removed) was www.search.com or something like that. Maybe it's to do with that site?

RE: Getting rid of the search bar? by Anubis on 08-21-2004 at 08:01 PM

I really can't help more unless you give a screenshot, to do so make sure the search bar is displayed and press Print Screen on your keyboard then open Microsoft Paint and press Ctrl + V, save the image somewhere, but remember where, and then come back here, click Post Reply, in the message text space type This is the screenshot and look at the box just under the message field called "Attachment" the click browse and search for the file you just saved. Select it and press Open then post reply...

RE: Getting rid of the search bar? by ~Syntheah~ on 08-21-2004 at 08:32 PM

Below is a screenshot showing the searchbar...

RE: Getting rid of the search bar? by poohead on 08-21-2004 at 08:43 PM

i uninstalled msn plus but i still get the blue bar. im confused, i dont no how to get rid of it:@

RE: Getting rid of the search bar? by ~Syntheah~ on 08-21-2004 at 08:50 PM

Yours is different to mine, Poohead.

RE: Getting rid of the search bar? by poohead on 08-21-2004 at 08:52 PM

there is an uninstall  button on ur pic. the top rite hand side of it, i had that abr before but got rid of it with that button. just type the #s it shows u in and it will be gone.:D

RE: Getting rid of the search bar? by ~Syntheah~ on 08-21-2004 at 09:02 PM

Where? I don't see it? It's not there anymore. My screen now:

RE: Getting rid of the search bar? by jren207 on 08-21-2004 at 09:10 PM

poohead, is the bar in your browser window the pic you posted?

It looks like it's on a windows xp taskbar lol

RE: Getting rid of the search bar? by poohead on 08-21-2004 at 09:11 PM

i guess u mite hav to open it a couple of times, on ur other scree, it had an uninstall button.

RE: Getting rid of the search bar? by jren207 on 08-21-2004 at 09:18 PM

I noticed that there's an E-Mail button now. Do the buttons that are on it change every so often?

RE: Getting rid of the search bar? by Sunshine on 08-21-2004 at 09:47 PM

Syntheah the searchbar on ur screenie looks like the one msn messenger installs..to get rid of it uninstall MSN then reinstall..make sure u uncheck all boxes of the extra's on installing ;)

Poohead, urs is the one from plus! sponsor... to get rid of that one uninstall plus, reboot and reinstall without sayin yes to the sponsoragreement..if u removed parts of the sponsor with adaware or other ad/spyware removal program: uninstall, reinstall with sponsor...then uninstall again (make sure all internetbrowser windows are closed meaning: exit IE) an reinstall without sponsor ;)

RE: Getting rid of the search bar? by poohead on 08-21-2004 at 09:55 PM

thanks sunshine, u solved my problem:D

RE: Getting rid of the search bar? by jren207 on 08-21-2004 at 10:00 PM

isn't this the MSN toolbar installed with MSN Messenger....

[Image: attachment.php?pid=295471]

RE: Getting rid of the search bar? by Patchou on 08-21-2004 at 11:44 PM

Note that my sponsor is now testing new search bar looks (it was about time, everyone will agree on that). Synthead, what you have is probably my sponsor. Just reinstall Messenger Plus! WITH the sponsor program and unisntall it again. During unisntallation, a screen will be displayed asking for a confirmation code. Just follow the instructions and restart your computer at the end :).

RE: Getting rid of the search bar? by Anubis on 08-22-2004 at 11:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by jren207
isn't this the MSN toolbar installed with MSN Messenger....
Yes, that isn't the one installed on Sythead's computer
quote:
Originally posted by poohead
i uninstalled msn plus
You are not referring to MSN Plus, you are referring to Messenger Plus! created by Patchou. MSN Plus! is a service owned by Microsoft...below are the links so you can inspect the difference
Messenger Plus
MSN Plus

If Patchou's method doesn't work try the .LOP uninstaller...but I have a feeling this is a separate piece of adware not related to MSN or Messenger Plus!...In that case use an adware removal program...