Shoutbox

Few questions about M$ paint... - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Few questions about M$ paint... (/showthread.php?tid=30310)

Few questions about M$ paint... by RebelSean on 08-22-2004 at 05:39 PM

Well, one day I remember in a thread I had saved a picture as a .gif and the color had fucked up. Cookierevised said it was something to do wit my settings, well I was wandering how do I make it were when I save it as a .gif it dont  mess up the colors of the image? And also, why can't I save a picture a a .jpg it don't ever give me a option to save it as that.....:)

RE: Few questions about M$ paint... by CookieRevised on 08-22-2004 at 05:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Sean
And also, why can't I save a picture a a .jpg it don't ever give me a option to save it as that.....
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=23...d=219914#pid219914

quote:
well I was wandering how do I make it were when I save it as a .gif it dont  mess up the colors of the image?
convert your image to 256 colors before saving it. Although it should do that automaticly in MS Paint though...
RE: Few questions about M$ paint... by RebelSean on 08-22-2004 at 05:45 PM

How do I convert it to 256 colors?

[EDIT]

Okay I was reading this artical http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=193354

And okay I have a question, I cant save it as a .jpg cause I dont have picture it express installed? I mean I have the disk for it but I dont have it installed, do i need to install it to get to save it as a .jpg?

RE: Few questions about M$ paint... by CookieRevised on 08-22-2004 at 06:02 PM

quote:
How do I convert it to 256 colors?
With "convert to 256 colors" I was talking in general. In Paint, you can't do that, but it will automaticly reduce the colors when the image format only supports x colors (but, note that the conversion-method to less colors used by Paint, isn't the best algorithm; there are many more (often better) ways to do it which will give a much better result. But this said, Paint is only a very basic graphics program, so don't expect to much of it.)

quote:
I cant save it as a .jpg cause I dont have picture it express installed?
Microsoft Picture It! Express or Microsoft Paint....

Both are different programs. But the article gives only a list of what to do for Picture It!... But the same goes for Paint; Instead of Picture It!, select/unselect Paint, the rest stays the same as described...

RE: Few questions about M$ paint... by RebelSean on 08-22-2004 at 06:08 PM

You mean to select paint in add/remove? It's not listed in there. :s

RE: Few questions about M$ paint... by CookieRevised on 08-22-2004 at 06:19 PM

indeed it isn't listed there because that isn't the place where you need to look for it...

read the list in the article again, you proberly read it to quickly ;) :

quote:
  • Double-click Add/Remove Programs.
  • On the Install/Uninstall tab, click Microsoft Plus! 98, click Add/Remove, click Add/Remove again, and then click Next.

RE: Few questions about M$ paint... by RebelSean on 08-22-2004 at 06:25 PM

Okay I am almost threw, I am doing the reg edit but I am confused about this part....

Use Registry Editor to remove the JPEG value from the following registry keys:

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Shared Tools/Graphic Filters/ Export

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Shared Tools/Graphic Filters/ Import

Does that mean to go to the Import and delete the JPEG folder and the sam in the Export??

[edit]

I dont have Microsoft Plus! 98 on my add/remove programs either??:undecided:

RE: Few questions about M$ paint... by CookieRevised on 08-22-2004 at 07:12 PM

quote:
Does that mean to go to the Import and delete the JPEG folder and the sam in the Export??
yes... (although they aren't "folders".)

quote:
I dont have Microsoft Plus! 98 on my add/remove programs either??
quote:
  • Double-click Add/Remove Programs.
  • On the Install/Uninstall tab, click Microsoft Plus! 98, click Add/Remove, click Add/Remove again, and then click Next.

On the Install/Uninstall tab; not in the "add/remove programs"-list....

EDIT: sorry for the wrong info, this is for Picture It!... MS Paint is found in "windows setup"...
RE: Few questions about M$ paint... by RebelSean on 08-22-2004 at 07:23 PM

Umm its not there or I am not lookin hard enought... I deleted the registry tho....:undecided:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=295795]

RE: Few questions about M$ paint... by spokes on 08-22-2004 at 08:43 PM

you deleted the registry? :S

RE: Few questions about M$ paint... by RaceProUK on 08-22-2004 at 08:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by spokes25
you deleted the registry? :S
A small part of it. It's not a problem if you know what you're doing: I've deleted registry keys quite often myself.

<offtopic>If anyone is having problems with network cards and DHCP, there is a registry key you can delete. After a reboot, DHCP works again.</offtopic>
RE: Few questions about M$ paint... by jren207 on 08-22-2004 at 09:10 PM

when you save a file, can't you just put .jpg on the end?

like: mypic.jpg

RE: Few questions about M$ paint... by RebelSean on 08-22-2004 at 09:45 PM

It don't work like that....And I deleted the registry and it still dont freakin let me save it as a .jpg....Do I need to reboot after editing it? :undecided:

RE: Few questions about M$ paint... by jren207 on 08-22-2004 at 09:47 PM

If you edit the registry, you need to reboot to see any changes.

RE: Few questions about M$ paint... by RaceProUK on 08-22-2004 at 09:48 PM

For some changes yes. For others (though not many), just restarting a program is enough.

RE: Few questions about M$ paint... by RebelSean on 08-22-2004 at 10:06 PM

Grrrr, I can save it with the extention .jpg, but then when I open it, it looks like the attached file.....Also it didn't put the fuckin registry back after I deleted it.:s

[Image: attachment.php?pid=295867]

RE: Few questions about M$ paint... by jren207 on 08-22-2004 at 10:12 PM

omg tht pic is murder on dial-up lol.

Haven't you noticed that there is an icon for it. (next to the file path)

RE: Few questions about M$ paint... by RebelSean on 08-22-2004 at 10:13 PM

Yes, what does that have to do with it? :undecided:

RE: Few questions about M$ paint... by chris on 08-22-2004 at 10:19 PM

Try reading http://www.hftonline.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-4457.html and it will most likely help you. You probaly dont have the filters in both locations or at all so there is a download link there and you can download the filters and put them in the right spot and i think it has .reg files too so i think u will be able to get it to work after that it has step by step how to so good luck(Y)

RE: Few questions about M$ paint... by RebelSean on 08-22-2004 at 10:38 PM

Ty sooooooo much chris! Worked like a charm! I can now save it as a .jpg :p But it looks crappy....Now, thats done, What about when I save it as a .gif it still fucks up the color...Anyway to fix that?

RE: Few questions about M$ paint... by jren207 on 08-22-2004 at 10:56 PM

like I said for .jpg

Put .gif on the end of the filename but DON'T select gif from the filetype dropdown menu.

RE: Few questions about M$ paint... by RebelSean on 08-22-2004 at 11:02 PM

You cant do that I dont think. If I do that its does the thing as in the screenshot attached...

[Image: attachment.php?pid=295885]

RE: Few questions about M$ paint... by jren207 on 08-22-2004 at 11:03 PM

o, it works for me, that's the only way I can save images as different types without changing the compression.

RE: Few questions about M$ paint... by RebelSean on 08-22-2004 at 11:08 PM

Hmm maby it is cause if this, It dont let me check to save as nothing, and put the file type at the end. I hope you get what I mean...

[Image: attachment.php?pid=295887]

RE: Few questions about M$ paint... by jren207 on 08-22-2004 at 11:16 PM

by default it's set to a bitmap image (.bmp) Leaving that saves the image with full quality. Selecting the other options on the list alters the compression/quality according to the filetype, For example, when you save it as .gif, it has like dots on  the image.

When you select something from a list, it doesn't add the .xxx extension. If you do it manually, it'll save with bmp quality but as another type.

RE: Few questions about M$ paint... by RebelSean on 08-22-2004 at 11:50 PM

If I do it manually, it don't show the picture that I saved. Like I showed on the other page as a screenshot. Why does it do that? Do I have to edit the registry?

RE: Few questions about M$ paint... by jren207 on 08-22-2004 at 11:54 PM

aha, I think i remembered somthing. At my school on Windows 2000 computers, it does that. Then when I try to open a .jpg file in the microsoft picture editior on that computer, it says "file format imformation not found in registry."

RE: Few questions about M$ paint... by Millenium_edition on 08-22-2004 at 11:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jren207
When you select something from a list, it doesn't add the .xxx extension. If you do it manually, it'll save with bmp quality but as another type.
ummm not true, you will have a bitmap with the jpg extension. it's like: you can rename a txt file to .exe but you won't have an executable =/
RE: Few questions about M$ paint... by jren207 on 08-22-2004 at 11:59 PM

although i uploaded a file like that using a .jpg only service and it worked lol :P

but it is terrible on dial-up internet having good quality.

RE: Few questions about M$ paint... by CookieRevised on 08-23-2004 at 09:08 AM

quote:
Umm its not there or I am not lookin hard enought... I deleted the registry tho....
in your case it is the second tab "windows setup".... then "bureau asso." or something and "ms paint"....

quote:
Put .gif on the end of the filename but DON'T select gif from the filetype dropdown menu.
jren207, the things you're telling are totaly incorrect... I'm sorry... By changing the extension of a file you do NOT change the filetype.... The filetype is still what it was as you first saved it... This is a very bad way of dealing with files!...

quote:
Grrrr, I can save it with the extention .jpg, but then when I open it, it looks like the attached file.....
because it is not a jpg.

quote:
Hmm maby it is cause if this, It dont let me check to save as nothing, and put the file type at the end. I hope you get what I mean...
Do NOT change the extension yourself!... if you want to save it as GIF select GIF from the menu and put GIF as an extension. Do NOT play with the file-extensions!

quote:
although i uploaded a file like that using a .jpg only service and it worked lol
Because the service only checks on file extension, not on file content. The file you've uploaded is NOT a jpg...

RE: Few questions about M$ paint... by RebelSean on 08-23-2004 at 11:29 AM

Okay. Thanks cookie! Now, can you help me wit this stupid gif and when I save it it fucks up the colors? Is there a registry setting that I have to mess with to get it to work right?

RE: Few questions about M$ paint... by CookieRevised on 08-23-2004 at 12:57 PM

attach the original file that you want to be saved as a gif...

RE: Few questions about M$ paint... by RebelSean on 08-23-2004 at 08:27 PM

No thats not the point....I want  myself to be able to make .gif's when I save as and it don't mess up the picture...:)

RE: Few questions about M$ paint... by RaceProUK on 08-23-2004 at 09:39 PM

Then do your bitmaps in 8-bit colour. If you do them in 24-bit colour, then convert to GIF (8-bit), then you will lose the colour quality. Paint's filter is a bit crap really: use The GIMP instead ;)

RE: Few questions about M$ paint... by RebelSean on 08-25-2004 at 02:38 AM

Hmmm, but I want to save it as a gif and it not fuck it up...But for now I gues .jpg is okay altho its like crapy looking...:)

RE: Few questions about M$ paint... by lopardo on 08-25-2004 at 02:58 PM

Paint is very basic, don't expect much from it. I use xat.com Image Optimizer.