Shoutbox

New Virus Discovered - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: New Virus Discovered (/showthread.php?tid=30399)

New Virus Discovered by R0cK3TttttT on 08-24-2004 at 08:42 PM

The Register » Security » Network Security »
Meet the Peeping Tom worm
By John Leyden
Published Monday 23rd August 2004 14:56 GMT
A worm capable of using webcams to spy on users is circulating across the Net.

Rbot-GR, the latest variant in the prolific worm series, spreads via network shares, exploiting a number of Microsoft security vulnerabilities to drop a backdoor Trojan horse program on vulnerable machines as it spreads. Once a backdoor program is installed on a victim's PC it's always game over - an attacker can do whatever takes their fancy. But Rbot-GR comes pre-loaded with functionality specifically designed to control webcam and microphones. Other variants of the worm do not come with this "Peeping Tom" routine, according to AV firm Sophos.

"If your computer is infected and you have a webcam plugged in, then everything you do in front of the computer can be seen, and everything you say can be recorded," said Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant for Sophos. "It would be like having a regular Web cam conversation except you wouldn't know you're taking part in it."

Aside from its voyeuristic behaviour, the Trojan component of the worm attempts to steal registration information for games and PayPal passwords from infected machines. It's a thoroughly nasty piece of code; so it comes as some relief that Rbot-GR isn't particularly widespread. Sophos has received only a handful of reports about the worm. Most vendors rate it as a medium-risk threat. As usual, Rbot-GR is a Windows-only menace. ®

RE: New Virus Discovered by user27089 on 08-24-2004 at 08:43 PM

lol, thats crazy, i need to do things more often on camera, might make them stop :)

RE: New Virus Discovered by Pr0xY on 08-24-2004 at 08:49 PM

oh man, thats creepy, I have my webcam pointed right at me, that means they could be looking at me typing right at this very moment.......

RE: New Virus Discovered by .Roy on 08-24-2004 at 08:59 PM

Even if ur not using ur webcam like i mean ur not using it in msn and messenger and stuff!! thats crazy.... im going to run antivirus just in case ;-)

RE: New Virus Discovered by Jimcando on 08-24-2004 at 09:14 PM

i never trust the internet and viruses so unless im using it, my webcam is always pointed at the wall away from from face....they virus mite like walls or it cud be an easy way to wipe it out...:D

(must stop smoking that sh*t)

RE: New Virus Discovered by -dt- on 08-25-2004 at 06:00 AM

lol im so paranoid i always have my webcam facing up unless i need to use it

RE: New Virus Discovered by marissa on 08-25-2004 at 06:08 AM

eek where do you get a patch? (if made) and oh god, do you think this could have anything to do with this program on my puter when i click it and it starts recording or takes pictures, and it saves it in my documents called "spying" ? ahhh

RE: New Virus Discovered by Pyroteq on 08-25-2004 at 06:11 AM

LoL i have the cover over the front of my webcam unless im using it just in case haha, would it show the connected status light?

RE: New Virus Discovered by spokes on 08-25-2004 at 07:20 AM

i just unplugged :D

RE: New Virus Discovered by aNILEator on 08-25-2004 at 07:33 AM

It should do and it doesn't really bother me what harm is it causing me? I ain't bothered about some person watching me thats possibly why i have a webcam feed on my website ( www.niles-lair.tk )
and stuff. Who cares other than strip-tease girls and boys.

Anyway they'd probably just see boring old me fiddling with a blob of blue tack if they did watch me :-p

RE: New Virus Discovered by Pipish on 08-25-2004 at 07:55 AM

woah scary luck i dun have a webcam  luckily i will runan anti virus anyway

RE: New Virus Discovered by Anubis on 08-25-2004 at 08:42 AM

This may be a new virus, but it's still an old risk...just with a new edge. Trojans have been able to monitor all input devices for a while now...
The only slightly advanced part is the delievery method, this seems intregeing, I've been meaning to do some research into this kind of deployment for a while now...So it's actually a firewall that you need to block this kind of attack. And now you can get a free, not so bad, M$ firewall, I'd advise people start to use it...

quote:
Originally posted by DangerXone
im going to run antivirus just in case
You should really have one running despite risks...
RE: New Virus Discovered by aNILEator on 08-25-2004 at 10:00 AM

lol i actually think i have got that virus :D my webcam app isn't loading its not in use on msn messenger. But the green light is on. :-P

RE: New Virus Discovered by Pr0xY on 08-25-2004 at 05:13 PM

Well I scanned my computer, just to be safe.  I didn't have this virus, but I did have a little script virus on my computer, I'm glad I found that. 

RE: New Virus Discovered by jren207 on 08-25-2004 at 05:22 PM

You know when you open an app that shows what's on the cam, would it say the camera is being used by something else i had the virus?

RE: New Virus Discovered by Anubis on 08-25-2004 at 06:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jren207
would it say the camera is being used by something else i had the virus?
Maybe or maybe not, it depends on the scripting of the virus...
RE: New Virus Discovered by DJeX on 08-25-2004 at 10:44 PM

Bah, you can do that same thing with a Sub7 or Netbus. It's not new. Any who, what I would do if I had a web cam, I would tape this emoticon :refuck: infrot of it when your not useing it. :D(Y) So when and if they do get control of your cam they get a nice surprise. lol.

RE: New Virus Discovered by jren207 on 08-25-2004 at 10:49 PM

that'll teach em lol :lol:

RE: RE: New Virus Discovered by Titty on 08-26-2004 at 06:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by -dt-
lol im so paranoid i always have my webcam facing up unless i need to use it

Yeah, I used to do that.  I had a webcam that had a cover
over it, so I just flipped it over.  On my shitty old one I'd put
a towel on it if I felt like it. Haha.

RE: New Virus Discovered by fluffy_lobster on 08-26-2004 at 01:08 PM

You guys realise how unlikely you are to be watched, right?  Firstly the obstacles a virus would have to get over would probably cut-down webcam compatibility to the most common brands - then if you had any form of antivirus, firewall or home network would bring it to a halt - and if your webcam was activated you'd most likely notice, for a number of reasons.  After all that, what are the chances some hacker will actually be watching you? :p

quote:
Originally posted by Fukafly
Anyway they'd probably just see boring old me fiddling
You don't know how disturbed i was for a moment after reading that
RE: New Virus Discovered by Pyroteq on 08-26-2004 at 01:13 PM

a few weeks ago my webcam light wouldnt go off as if it was in use but it wasnt, oh well i have a cover and im not interesting i just play with cds and stuff on my desk and type away...

RE: New Virus Discovered by aNILEator on 08-26-2004 at 02:42 PM

i found out that it was just explorer being gay again, not closing programs fuly so having to go into task manager :-p stupid explorer.exe

RE: New Virus Discovered by DJeX on 08-26-2004 at 04:08 PM

I agree with fluffy_lobster. A virus would first have to find a webcam conected to your computer. Then either find its drivers to control it or find a whole in either the cams program or Windows. And its not like it will run ever cam on the market. Useally the chepper ones for like $30 are more of a risk than the $50 - $100 ones.

RE: New Virus Discovered by BEWARE^^ on 08-28-2004 at 02:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DJeX
I agree with fluffy_lobster. A virus would first have to find a webcam conected to your computer. Then either find its drivers to control it or find a whole in either the cams program or Windows. And its not like it will run ever cam on the market. Useally the chepper ones for like $30 are more of a risk than the $50 - $100 ones.
and i agree with DJeX

RE: New Virus Discovered by segosa on 08-28-2004 at 03:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DJeX
Then either find its drivers to control it or find a whole in either the cams program or Windows. And its not like it will run ever cam on the market. Useally the chepper ones for like $30 are more of a risk than the $50 - $100 ones.

If the drivers are correctly installed, the Windows API has routines to perform functions with webcams, which will work almost definitely without problems.