Shoutbox

Audio Conversation Help - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Audio Conversation Help (/showthread.php?tid=30491)

Audio Conversation Help by Reaper on 08-26-2004 at 03:33 PM

Im currently using MSN Mesenger 6.2.0137. I also have Msg Plus 3 installed.
Recently i have had problems connecting to an audio conversation. i have to retry loads of tyms and sometimes when it connects my buddy cant hear anythin.
is there a cause for this and is there a solution??

RE: Audio Conversation Help by Anubis on 08-26-2004 at 03:39 PM

Do you connect to the internet using a proxy?...Do you use a firewall, if so which one? Do you use a router? Have you uninstalled Windows Messenger?

RE: Audio Conversation Help by Reaper on 08-26-2004 at 03:43 PM

im connected thru another computer but NOT usin proxy. im usin a network cable. i have uninstalled windows messenger and i have disbled my firewall wen i use audio buts its Norton Firewall 2004

RE: Audio Conversation Help by Anubis on 08-26-2004 at 03:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Reaper66613
i have uninstalled windows messenger
I believe that is your problem, download and install Windows Messenger again (I advice version 5.0 despite what some people believe, the API's aren't really more advanced but IMO I've seen less bugs)...you can download it by Clicking here...if you want another language version (the one previous is English) click here
RE: Audio Conversation Help by Reaper on 08-26-2004 at 03:49 PM

r u sure thats the problem. if it still happens after installin windows messenger wot shud i do?

RE: Audio Conversation Help by Anubis on 08-26-2004 at 03:52 PM

quote:
r u sure thats the problem.
99.999% Sure. Windows Messenger uses APIs that MSN Messenger needs for audio conversations...I believe
quote:
if it still happens after installin windows messenger wot shud i do?
Cross that bridge when we come to it...;) There's no point me telling you help unless you need it

From your post I sense you have reluctance problems with Windows Messenger...could you elaborate?
RE: Audio Conversation Help by CookieRevised on 08-26-2004 at 03:53 PM

No, Windows Messenger doesn't need to be installed/enabled for Audio IIRC (not 100% sure)....

The problem is your allowed ports. Either by your host computer or by your firewall... Audio uses UDP ports 5004-65535. Make sure those are allowed....

RE: Audio Conversation Help by Anubis on 08-26-2004 at 03:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
No, Windows Messenger doesn't need to be installed/enabled for Audio IIRC (not 100% sure)....
Last time I checked it used the same APIs. And I experimented a while back on XP and it was needed, at least for it to be stable
RE: Audio Conversation Help by Reaper on 08-26-2004 at 03:56 PM

how wud i enable the ports??

RE: Audio Conversation Help by Anubis on 08-26-2004 at 04:18 PM

quote:
how wud i enable the ports??
Unblock them on your firewall, but have you tried the Windows Messenger method?
RE: Audio Conversation Help by Reaper on 08-26-2004 at 04:24 PM

yeh still dont work

RE: Audio Conversation Help by Millenium_edition on 08-26-2004 at 04:45 PM

Windows Messenger is NOT needed for audio conversations, and CERTAINELY NOT for the API. Please don't talk about stuff you don't know anubis.

Reaper66613, can you hear your contacts?

If YES: you must have some problems with your microphone. Try going to the sound volume controls and make sure "Line In" is set to maximum. Also make sure the microphone is activated (little icon, next to your DP, when having conversation).

If NO: Try disabling your firewall and try again.

RE: Audio Conversation Help by Reaper on 08-26-2004 at 05:30 PM

it connects to the other computer quicker but the other person doesnt hear anything. i have enabled the ports and everything
WOT DO I DO

RE: Audio Conversation Help by Millenium_edition on 08-26-2004 at 05:43 PM

Can you hear the other person?

RE: Audio Conversation Help by Reaper on 08-26-2004 at 05:44 PM

no i cant.