Shoutbox

When I type, my system freezes - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: When I type, my system freezes (/showthread.php?tid=30738)

When I type, my system freezes by the_vicious_cycle on 08-30-2004 at 11:52 PM

I don't know if this is anything to do with Plus or not. I have had Plus installed for serveral months and had no trouble with it and I haven't recently installed anything new into it so I doubt my problem is because of Plus.

My problem is... everytime I type into the conversation window, my computer temporarily freezes. I mean... once I type the first letter, it just freezes. If I keep typing while the computer is frozen, a few seconds after I am finished, the text will appear all together, instantly. It is very frustrating.

Does anyone know how to stop this, or what may of caused it to happen?

Thanks in advance!

Matt.

RE: When I type, my system freezes by Abz2k4 on 08-31-2004 at 12:25 AM

A similar thing has started happening to me, i will type some text in and it will take a few seconds for the word to appear and when i click the send button MSN freezes for a few seconds before sending a message. Anyone know what the problem could be?

RE: When I type, my system freezes by the_vicious_cycle on 08-31-2004 at 12:26 AM

It's damn annoying aint it! lol

RE: When I type, my system freezes by Abz2k4 on 08-31-2004 at 12:29 AM

Yea it started last night and now it's really starting to p*ss me off.

RE: When I type, my system freezes by the_vicious_cycle on 08-31-2004 at 12:31 AM

Mine started within the last 24 hours too. Hmmm, maybe it's a general MSN problem or something.

But no one on my list is suffering.........

RE: When I type, my system freezes by Abz2k4 on 08-31-2004 at 12:33 AM

I thought it was just my computer running slow at first but i restarted it and it's still happening so im kinda confused as to what the problem could be.

RE: When I type, my system freezes by the_vicious_cycle on 08-31-2004 at 12:34 AM

Yeah, same here. I've rebooted, reinstalled (both MSN and Plus) and it's still doing it.

Is there somebody out there with the answerrrrr!

RE: When I type, my system freezes by M73A on 08-31-2004 at 12:58 AM

wat speed inet connections u got? nefin to do wit ur connection to msn?

RE: When I type, my system freezes by the_vicious_cycle on 08-31-2004 at 01:01 AM

I have 1.5mb broadband but I highly doubt is is anything to do with that because I am on my other computer now and it is fine (they are networked). But it is still being a beeyatch on the other machine.

RE: When I type, my system freezes by Abz2k4 on 08-31-2004 at 01:03 AM

It can't be the Internet connections or speed coz MSN was wokin fine until it happened.

RE: When I type, my system freezes by the_vicious_cycle on 08-31-2004 at 01:07 AM

I deleted every file and folder on my computer that refers to MSN/Windows Messenger and then completely reinstalled them all, and it still made NO difference whatsoever.

So I'm beginning to think it's a different file/folder that's affecting MSN.

And also, I just realised the typing thing is in MSN in general, not just the conversation windows. This includes the box where you type your screen-name, and even the box where you enter your password to sign in.

RE: When I type, my system freezes by Pyroteq on 08-31-2004 at 01:23 AM

Scan for spyware and adware using

Ad-Aware  http://www.lavasoft.de/
and
Spybot S&D http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html

This may not solve your problems but it might help your computer run a bit faster in general.

RE: When I type, my system freezes by the_vicious_cycle on 08-31-2004 at 01:24 AM

I have already done this too. I done 2 spyware searches and 2 virus scans. But thanks anyway.

RE: When I type, my system freezes by matty on 08-31-2004 at 01:27 AM

Out of curiosity do you have any plugins installed for Messenger Plus!?

RE: When I type, my system freezes by the_vicious_cycle on 08-31-2004 at 01:28 AM

I have only installed one... the colour fader thingy, but I installed that after this problem started so it won't be that

RE: When I type, my system freezes by matty on 08-31-2004 at 01:31 AM

Press CTRL+ALT+DEL.

If Windows 98 or Windows ME
   How many processes in the white box.
If Windows 2k/XP/2k3
   How many processes it say in the bottom left corner.

RE: When I type, my system freezes by the_vicious_cycle on 08-31-2004 at 01:33 AM

32 - what does that mean?

RE: When I type, my system freezes by matty on 08-31-2004 at 01:38 AM

32 Applications running in the background. 20 or so are for Windows.

When this started happening what did you install last? Wasn't SP2 was it?

RE: When I type, my system freezes by the_vicious_cycle on 08-31-2004 at 01:40 AM

Hmmm, the last thing I installed was Windows Media Player 9.1 and that was last night. I didn't use my computer for around 18 hours after that.
After deleting the old version, a message did pop up saying that if I chose to delete it then some programs may not run properly, but I don't see how WMP can be connected to MSN...

And what is SP2?

RE: When I type, my system freezes by matty on 08-31-2004 at 01:48 AM

SP2 is Service Pack to. It is a recent update to Microsoft Windows XP that improves bugs and gives more "stability" to Windows. but the downside is for alot of people causes their computer to slow down.

RE: When I type, my system freezes by the_vicious_cycle on 08-31-2004 at 01:50 AM

Hmmmmmm. Nope I haven't touched that. I'm just really confused as to why it has started happening all of a sudden. I hope it passes.

RE: When I type, my system freezes by Pyroteq on 08-31-2004 at 08:58 AM

It started happening to me a while ago and it just passed i dont know if i did somthing to fix it or not

RE: When I type, my system freezes by .Roy on 08-31-2004 at 09:57 AM

hmmm.. sounds very strange to me i suggest try using webmessenger... see if that works for a while.. if it does use that until the msn messenger problem just fades away i guess.. did you try using windows messenger?? did it also cause problem??

RE: RE: When I type, my system freezes by Hank on 08-31-2004 at 10:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by DangerXone
hmmm.. sounds very strange to me i suggest try using webmessenger... see if that works for a while.. if it does use that until the msn messenger problem just fades away i guess.. did you try using windows messenger?? did it also cause problem??

what Virus Scanner did you use to Scan your PC's?
RE: When I type, my system freezes by Abz2k4 on 08-31-2004 at 10:21 AM

Mines miraculously cured. It's working fine now.

RE: When I type, my system freezes by the_vicious_cycle on 08-31-2004 at 03:02 PM

Well I've give it over night and it is still doing it