Shoutbox

Starting Conversations - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Starting Conversations (/showthread.php?tid=30825)

Starting Conversations by LordYu on 09-01-2004 at 01:32 PM

I've looked through this forum for a thread about the same kind of thing, but I couldn't find one...

Whenever I try to start a conversation with anybody I get this error message:

Error: We were unable to start a conversation with [username]. You may want to try again.

Trying again only gives the same error, and I get this error with every contact I have. I've tried exiting Messenger Plus! and restarting it, but that didn't help. I tried restarting the computer, but that didn't help either. Do any of you know of an easier way to fix this, as I don't really want to have to reinstall it again?

Thanks for any help.

RE: Starting Conversations by Anubis on 09-01-2004 at 02:04 PM

Do you connect to the internet via a proxy or router? Or experience any internet difficulties of any other kind? Have you tried uninstalling MSN Messenger and Messenger Plus as well?

:wave: oh and welcome to the forum Lord Yu...Always nice to have a Stargate fan (I assume) :p

RE: Starting Conversations by bach_m on 09-01-2004 at 02:14 PM

Let Me guess... Ur on WIndows 98 or ME?

and u probably installed the handwriting plugin, right?

RE: Starting Conversations by LordYu on 09-01-2004 at 02:16 PM

Well, this is a networked computer, this one connects to the internet through another computer. There are three computers in our network, this and another one both connect to the internet through the third machine. The other two machines run MSN perfectly well, and I don't ever remember having this problem before. I haven't tried reinstalling it yet, but it does look like I'll have to do that...

RE: Starting Conversations by LordYu on 09-01-2004 at 02:18 PM

Windows XP. No I haven't got the plugin installed, this is a brand new computer, I only got it a few hours ago. I've upgraded it to the latest version of MSN, then installed Plus! 3. Since Plus! 3 went on I haven't been able to talk to anyone...

RE: Starting Conversations by Tochjo on 09-01-2004 at 06:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by LordYu
Since Plus! 3 went on I haven't been able to talk to anyone...
Go to Plus! > Preferences > Plugins and disable Msnhandwriting and others that could be related to handwriting. Then close and reopen MSN Messenger. This should disable the plugin - which I believe you have installed. :)
RE: Starting Conversations by LordYu on 09-01-2004 at 07:07 PM

I didn't have Ink installed, I don't even have it on the computer, so it can't have been that. It was bog standard Plus! 3.

RE: Starting Conversations by Tochjo on 09-01-2004 at 07:24 PM

Did you check what it said in Plus! > Preferences > Plugins?
If the handwriting one doesn't show, can you tell us what it does say?

RE: Starting Conversations by LordYu on 09-01-2004 at 07:28 PM

It says "No Plugins are currently installed or activated."

I'm going to redownload it, see if that helps, the reinstall didn't help.

RE: Starting Conversations by Tochjo on 09-01-2004 at 07:32 PM

Try to go to C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! 3\Plugins and delete MSNhandwriting.dll from that folder. If it's not there, see if it exists in C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! 2\Plugins and delete it from there.

RE: Starting Conversations by LordYu on 09-01-2004 at 07:54 PM

Well, I've redownloaded it and reinstalled it from the newly downloaded file and it works fine now. Strange...thanks for your help anyway though, it's appreciated.