Shoutbox

[suggestion] knowing who invited you into mass convos - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: [suggestion] knowing who invited you into mass convos (/showthread.php?tid=30893)

[suggestion] knowing who invited you into mass convos by fubar84 on 09-02-2004 at 07:57 PM

ok, so, sorry if this is totally obvious and has been asked about before....but would it be possible to implement a way of knowing who has added you to a conversation?

Or is there already some sort of patch that does that?

Reason I wonder is because I'm in a lot of BIG conversations, and sometimes people we don't want in get added, and we'd like to know who does it.

Thanks guys

RE: [suggestion] knowing who invited you into mass convos by Choli on 09-02-2004 at 09:37 PM

The suggestion is good and in fact it has been said before, however I think that there isn't any way to know who invited you to a multi-people convo. I think that due to the way the protocol works that's impossible.

RE: [suggestion] knowing who invited you into mass convos by M73A on 09-02-2004 at 09:53 PM

apparently if u use stuffplug ng and the open convo notifier it tells u hu added u, but this is not confirmed to my knowledge....it may just show hueva is on the top of the list of contacts in the convo....

RE: [suggestion] knowing who invited you into mass convos by RaceProUK on 09-02-2004 at 10:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Choli
The suggestion is good and in fact it has been said before, however I think that there isn't any way to know who invited you to a multi-people convo. I think that due to the way the protocol works that's impossible.
Choli, I am afraid to say you are WRONG! Apogogies for the caps btw.
I've been reading up on the protocol while sorting out the feature list of Project RP, and when you get an invite to a conversation, the inviter's e-maill address is supplied in the RNG command sent to the client.
RE: [suggestion] knowing who invited you into mass convos by Fredzz on 09-03-2004 at 01:37 AM

well i was goin to say that was the one that was in the top..but guess not huh..

RE: [suggestion] knowing who invited you into mass convos by RaceProUK on 09-03-2004 at 09:46 AM

It might be the one at the top: I don't know how the official client does these things.

RE: [suggestion] knowing who invited you into mass convos by Choli on 09-03-2004 at 11:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
Choli, I am afraid to say you are WRONG! Apogogies for the caps btw.
I've been reading up on the protocol while sorting out the feature list of Project RP, and when you get an invite to a conversation, the inviter's e-maill address is supplied in the RNG command sent to the client.

feel free to say when I'm wrong because I don't know everything. What I posted was my opinion. :)

I didn't know that the inviter's email address was sent with the RNG command. I though that the messenger server sends a list of email address of the people in the convo without saying who invited you. Anyway, thanks for the correction ;)
RE: [suggestion] knowing who invited you into mass convos by Millenium_edition on 09-03-2004 at 03:05 PM

it's someone who invited you, once you connected to the IP it sends you the list of people.

RE: [suggestion] knowing who invited you into mass convos by michael_m91 on 09-03-2004 at 03:24 PM

I'd Love that feature but I don't have any clue how it would be done.[Image: cownana.gif]

I think it Is not possible becuase if you've been in big convos before you'd know that when someone adds you your not in the convo until someone says something, so that could be anyone in the convo.

I don't know if that means The person who added you is instracble but that seems pretty convincing to me that you could not do this, then again People used to say you couldn't split the atom.

P.S. If Any of you already wrote this thaught down I'm sorry, I must have missed your Reply.:)

RE: [suggestion] knowing who invited you into mass convos by fubar84 on 09-04-2004 at 08:17 AM

The problem with what I need is that it has to be a way to see who has added someone else, rather than who has added yourself.

If that makes sense.

The most obvious visual representation of this for me would be to have -

"User X has added User Y to the Conversation" to replace the "User Y has joined the Conversation" or whatever it is at the minute. Which would solve all the problems completely.

RE: RE: [suggestion] knowing who invited you into mass convos by michael_m91 on 09-04-2004 at 08:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by fubar84
The problem with what I need is that it has to be a way to see who has added someone else, rather than who has added yourself.

If that makes sense.

"User X has added User Y to the Conversation" to replace the "User Y has joined the Conversation" or whatever it is at the minute. Which would solve all the problems completely.

Oh, lol i think you had all of us thinking that you wanted to know who added you to the convo.

But You meant somthing else... I have no clue then
RE: [suggestion] knowing who invited you into mass convos by Millenium_edition on 09-04-2004 at 08:54 AM

quote:

If that makes sense.

not possible... Only the invited one knows who invited him.
RE: [suggestion] knowing who invited you into mass convos by fubar84 on 09-04-2004 at 09:31 AM

If only the invited person knows who invited them, isn't there a way their MSN can communicate with the conversation to display that?

If not, how does the invited person know who invited them? What ways are there of knowing?

RE: [suggestion] knowing who invited you into mass convos by Millenium_edition on 09-04-2004 at 10:41 AM

quote:
If only the invited person knows who invited them, isn't there a way their MSN can communicate with the conversation to display that?
NO???
quote:
If not, how does the invited person know who invited them? What ways are there of knowing?
learn the protocol.
RE: RE: [suggestion] knowing who invited you into mass convos by Anubis on 09-04-2004 at 11:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition
quote:
NO???

Indeed, but if the plugin had an option to automatically make the invited client send a message  "I was invited by..." when invited it could work...And this would be a simple addition to the plugin in theory.
RE: [suggestion] knowing who invited you into mass convos by Underlord on 09-04-2004 at 11:40 AM

But then the person that was invited would have to have the plugin :)

RE: RE: [suggestion] knowing who invited you into mass convos by Anubis on 09-04-2004 at 11:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Underlord
But then the person that was invited would have to have the plugin :)

I believe that is the whole idea of the plugin, isn't it?
RE: [suggestion] knowing who invited you into mass convos by Underlord on 09-04-2004 at 11:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
I believe that is the whole idea of the plugin, isn't it?
Isn't the idea to show who invited you?
On the principals we are using, if you want to see who invited others they would also have to have the plugin.
RE: [suggestion] knowing who invited you into mass convos by Anubis on 09-04-2004 at 11:54 AM

quote:
On the principals we are using, if you want to see who invited others they would also have to have the plugin.
I don't think so. All the plugin would have to do would be collect that information from the target (invited) client and display it to the target (invited) client...If the information is already in the RNG command from the inviter to the invited the inviter wouldn't need the plugin...
RE: [suggestion] knowing who invited you into mass convos by Underlord on 09-04-2004 at 12:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
quote:
I don't think so. All the plugin would have to do would be collect that information from the target (invited) client and display it to the target (invited) client...If the information is already in the RNG command from the inviter to the invited the inviter wouldn't need the plugin...

I meant... for a person to see who invited another person, the person being invited would have to have a plguin and send a message to the conversation.
If that makes sence...
RE: [suggestion] knowing who invited you into mass convos by Millenium_edition on 09-04-2004 at 12:21 PM

oh nice a plugin to share who invited you...

:dodgy:

RE: [suggestion] knowing who invited you into mass convos by Anubis on 09-04-2004 at 12:57 PM

quote:

I meant... for a person to see who invited another person, the person being invited would have to have a plguin and send a message to the conversation.

Yes, only the person who wants to see who's invited them into the conversation would need it...and that would be the only person who would want it...Why would anyone else want or need it?
RE: RE: [suggestion] knowing who invited you into mass convos by michael_m91 on 09-04-2004 at 04:27 PM

quote:

If that makes sense.

He's not saying he want's to know who invited him, he wants to know who invited someone else.
RE: [suggestion] knowing who invited you into mass convos by Anubis on 09-04-2004 at 05:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by michael_m91
He's not saying he want's to know who invited him, he wants to know who invited someone else.
Ah, I must have missed that post. Well it's not very practical, I mean if you can't just ask someone like that if they've invited someone they probably won't install a plugin for you to find out for yourself, and since there's no way to tamper with the protocol, to tell the client to tell who invited who, there doesn't seem to be an alternative...
RE: [suggestion] knowing who invited you into mass convos by RaceProUK on 09-05-2004 at 04:04 PM

The original topic was knowing who invited you. This would be quite useful to know for some people.
I'm not so sure about the whole telling-everyone-else idea, although that too could be implemented without too much difficulty: the inviter, via the plugin, sends a special command to all the other participants. Those with the plugin will then see a message similar to the existing 'User X has been added to the conversation'.

It's an idea anyway.

RE: [suggestion] knowing who invited you into mass convos by FrozernFire on 09-05-2004 at 04:11 PM

i think a connection must be made with the person who invites u a split second b4 u really join the mass convo. maybe that could be used?

RE: [suggestion] knowing who invited you into mass convos by RaceProUK on 09-05-2004 at 04:30 PM

No such connection needs to be made. As I have said on the first page, when you get the invite, the server sends a RNG command with the e-mail address of the person who invited you included. This is all you need to know, I can guarantee, because then you can use the Messenger API to get the right contact's display name for the alert, or somehow use Plus to get the custom name.

RE: [suggestion] knowing who invited you into mass convos by michael_m91 on 09-05-2004 at 05:01 PM

So is there a Plugin to let yourself know who invited you to the conversation?

RE: [suggestion] knowing who invited you into mass convos by Choli on 09-05-2004 at 05:15 PM

quote:
no, there isn't any. People are just saying how it would be. :)
RE: RE: [suggestion] knowing who invited you into mass convos by michael_m91 on 09-05-2004 at 05:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Choli
quote:
no, there isn't any. People are just saying how it would be. :)

Can someone maby make a plugin because i'm sure it would be very popular
RE: [suggestion] knowing who invited you into mass convos by Millenium_edition on 09-05-2004 at 05:56 PM

i once made one like that... it was multiconvoblocker, which asked you if you want to join a convo with more than 2 users, and told you who invited you... too bad i lost it :(

RE: [suggestion] knowing who invited you into mass convos by BEWARE^^ on 09-05-2004 at 07:09 PM

cant you find it back that millenium coz i think its quite interesting to know who invites you :)(Y)

RE: [suggestion] knowing who invited you into mass convos by michael_m91 on 09-26-2004 at 07:40 PM

Ok I know it's been a long time since this thread was active, btw.

Wouldn't Stuff PLug NG do the job, Have it set to "Messege When User Opens A conversation with you", then whe the big convo opens, you'll know who added you in the first place

RE: [suggestion] knowing who invited you into mass convos by Plik on 09-26-2004 at 09:54 PM

From the tests i've just done. It looks like michael is right. It treats it like the person has just opened a normal convosation with you. Exept they've invited you into a multi-convo.

RE: [suggestion] knowing who invited you into mass convos by michael_m91 on 09-26-2004 at 10:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by madman66
From the tests i've just done. It looks like michael is right. It treats it like the person has just opened a normal convosation with you. Exept they've invited you into a multi-convo.

So now that the mystery if solved, we can all be a little smarter on msn and just block the person who keeps adding us to bug convos
RE: [suggestion] knowing who invited you into mass convos by giken on 09-29-2004 at 11:57 PM

millenium can you recover or rewrite it?
it would be very useful if you are away from pc and someone tries to invite you

I found this:
http://www.nsrtech.net/~millenium/software/multiconvoblocker.exe
m_e is your plugin?

RE: [suggestion] knowing who invited you into mass convos by CookieRevised on 09-30-2004 at 12:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by provolino
I found this:
http://www.nsrtech.net/~millenium/software/multiconvoblocker.exe
m_e is your plugin?
quote:
Originally posted by [b
Millenium_edition[/b]]i once made one like that... it was multiconvoblocker, which asked you if you want to join a convo with more than 2 users, and told you who invited you...
It would be a very huge coincidence if it wasn't, don't you think?

PS: Do not double post! I reported already many of your double posts. Double posting (more then once in a row) is not allowed. You might want to refresh on the  rules.
RE: [suggestion] knowing who invited you into mass convos by giken on 09-30-2004 at 12:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

It would be a very huge coincidence if it wasn't, don't you think?

You're right but I asked anyway because I don't know if the link is related to an old or incomplete version :)
This because Millenium_Edition said he lost it...

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

PS: Do not double post! I reported already many of your double posts. Double posting (more then once in a row) is not allowed. You might want to refresh on the rules.

Sorry for that, it was my negligence, thanks to WDZ for merge ;)
btw this is the first time I made a double post, if I remember well... maybe i'm wrong
RE: [suggestion] knowing who invited you into mass convos by Millenium_edition on 09-30-2004 at 04:44 PM

well, got it back now, but I don't feel like installing VB and fixing that compatibility error with those stupid winsock objects :(

RE: [suggestion] knowing who invited you into mass convos by CookieRevised on 09-30-2004 at 05:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by provolino
I asked anyway because I don't know if the link is related to an old or incomplete version
aye, fair enough... sorry...
RE: [suggestion] knowing who invited you into mass convos by giken on 10-01-2004 at 06:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition
well, got it back now, but I don't feel like installing VB and fixing that compatibility error with those stupid winsock objects :(

I hope you'll continue to work on it, it's very useful especially for the ability to prompt if you wanna join the conversation or not :)