Shoutbox

WDZ!!! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: WDZ!!! (/showthread.php?tid=30995)

WDZ!!! by matty on 09-05-2004 at 04:39 AM

WDZ, I tried to use an alternate url for these forums and they worked (tried using them at work). Now when I login it sets the cookies wrong thus I cant login. Is there anyway to change that so it will set the cookies properly? The URL i used was http://www.avidmotion.com/~msgplus/

Thanks

Oh and PS take a look at the Find the Spam thread. You were wrong :P

RE: WDZ!!! by Mnjul on 09-05-2004 at 04:42 AM

Cookie path is set in Admin CP (that is, a forum-range setting). If it gets modified, 30+K users here are affected too. But let's see if WDZ will modify the code for you... :p

RE: WDZ!!! by matty on 09-05-2004 at 04:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mnjul
Cookie path is set in Admin CP (that is, a forum-range setting). If it gets modified, 30+K users here are affected too. But let's see if WDZ will modify the code for you... :p
I hope he could. I mean I have been here so long. I post lots and help lots but since my work decided I couldn't view it any more and proxied it out I haven't been able to post during work. So this will give me the opportunity to do so :)
RE: WDZ!!! by surfichris on 09-05-2004 at 04:54 AM

Well maybe you shouldn't be posting during work though?

Forgive me if I am wrong, but you dont pay a cent to use their bandwidth - in fact they pay you to work there, and therefore shouldnt they have the decision to block these forums or not?

Obviously if they have blocked it then you shouldn't be doing such activities at your work.

RE: WDZ!!! by matty on 09-05-2004 at 05:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
Well maybe you shouldn't be posting during work though?

Forgive me if I am wrong, but you dont pay a cent to use their bandwidth - in fact they pay you to work there, and therefore shouldnt they have the decision to block these forums or not?

Obviously if they have blocked it then you shouldn't be doing such activities at your work.
I fix computers over the phone. Its not like I can do anything inbetween. So......
RE: WDZ!!! by WDZ on 09-05-2004 at 05:00 AM

Well, I'd prefer if everyone used the same, correct, URL so I don't have to worry about issues related to differing URLs.

wj should be slapped with a large trout for allowing access via that URL. :p

Chris has a point too... :dodgy:

RE: WDZ!!! by matty on 09-05-2004 at 05:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Well, I'd prefer if everyone used the same, correct, URL so I don't have to worry about issues related to differing URLs.

wj should be slapped with a large trout for allowing access via that URL. :p

Chris has a point too... :dodgy:
So you all rather lose me posting as often as I can :P
RE: WDZ!!! by wj on 09-05-2004 at 05:36 AM

WDZ could just set the set cookie command to not set the path or domain so PHP figures it out for him.....

RE: WDZ!!! by surfichris on 09-05-2004 at 06:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by wj

WDZ could just set the set cookie command to not set the path or domain so PHP figures it out for him.....
And therefore screwing the other 30k users who would have to delete cookies and relogin for it to work properly. When you dont set it the domain defaults to the current domain, and the path is /
RE: WDZ!!! by wj on 09-05-2004 at 05:51 PM

That wouldnt screw anyone over, It would only effect people when there current cookies expire and the new ones are created with the PHP determined domain and path. I really dont see anything wrong with that and it wont effect any current users.

Matty could just write his own little php script that sets his cookies for the alternate address......

RE: WDZ!!! by .blade// on 09-05-2004 at 05:53 PM

Can't Matty just use a different proxy to get on? That's what I do to get by some school blocks, like game sites and such...

RE: WDZ!!! by surfichris on 09-05-2004 at 10:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by wj
That wouldnt screw anyone over, It would only effect people when there current cookies expire and the new ones are created with the PHP determined domain and path. I really dont see anything wrong with that and it wont effect any current users.

The cookies don't expire :cheesy:. When people tried to logout, or when new cookies were set for stuff like thread views for users it would screw up and they would remain logged in and lose all of their previously read thread details.

Thats how it effects other users ;)
RE: WDZ!!! by matty on 09-06-2004 at 07:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by blade
Can't Matty just use a different proxy to get on? That's what I do to get by some school blocks, like game sites and such...
Ya I can but the proxy wont log me in obviously.
RE: WDZ!!! by michael_m91 on 09-24-2004 at 01:05 PM

I know this may be dumb to say, but somtimes I find things work better If you just

Clear History
Clear Cookies
Clear All Internet Files
Then Restart your Computer.

Also why woul'd you use an alternate URL? at work if your not going to http://shoutbox.menthix.net/ then your probably not supposed to be on MsgPlus Forums.

RE: WDZ!!! by matty on 09-24-2004 at 02:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by michael_m91
I know this may be dumb to say, but somtimes I find things work better If you just

Clear History
Clear Cookies
Clear All Internet Files
Then Restart your Computer.

Also why woul'd you use an alternate URL? at work if your not going to http://shoutbox.menthix.net/ then your probably not supposed to be on MsgPlus Forums.
Ok look, I warned you on PMs to stop bring up old threads and spamming and look what your doing. I could care less what my work wants me to surf, I finally have a working proxy that will login me in as well. Your steps you posted are not going to work when my IT department has proxied out the website. Meaning my request for a website goes through another computer, if they dont want that one, then they block it and it comes back with a blue box saying Surf Controled.

Please stop posting when you don't know about the issue. The original question was to allow another url to log into the forums. Not I cant log into them.

My work is stupid they blocked out the forums cause the title bar said Messenger. The forums are harmless, if I dont take a call for 4 hours what else am I going to do right?

Anyways back to my request. Stop bring up old threads, if the thread question is above your knowledge, dont post cause its probably not going to make a difference like in this case.