Shoutbox

Problem: E-mail hijacking - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Problem: E-mail hijacking (/showthread.php?tid=31026)

Problem: E-mail hijacking by KeyStorm on 09-05-2004 at 06:36 PM

I'm back form my holidays and I have noticed that someone has been  (intentionally) sending viruses to others using my address as sender (this is possible and even easy changing some parametric information in the e-mail).

This person has even got to register him- or herself on boards using my username and e-mail address.

As you will understand, this is certainly annoying.

Are there any way to execute countermeasures for this kind of hijacking?
Knowing the IP won't help much, sadly, but there's maybe a flaw in the way mails have been sent or... well, who knows.

I'd be very pleased if someone can provide any information about this issue... :-/

RE: Problem: E-mail hijacking by RaceProUK on 09-05-2004 at 07:15 PM

I've had returned e-mails that were apparently from me: not a lot you can do about them tbh.
As for forum joining and that, the e-mail needs confirming, so just delete those e-mails and forget about them.

RE: Problem: E-mail hijacking by KeyStorm on 09-05-2004 at 07:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
I've had returned e-mails that were apparently from me: not a lot you can do about them tbh.
As for forum joining and that, the e-mail needs confirming, so just delete those e-mails and forget about them.

Yeah, I've done so for a while, but I was wondering if there was a way to someway avoid this (and obviously not changing the e-mail adress and so forth)
RE: Problem: E-mail hijacking by RaceProUK on 09-05-2004 at 10:23 PM

As POP3 and SMTP are text-based, there isn't a way, as it's too easy to change the 'From:' field.