Shoutbox

Messenger Plus won't work! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Messenger Plus won't work! (/showthread.php?tid=31042)

Messenger Plus won't work! by majestique on 09-06-2004 at 03:58 AM

Okay, I have Windows XP Home and today I did a System Recovery on my computer. Before the System Recovery, I had Messenger Plus! working just fine.

When the recovery was done, I opened up MSN Messenger 6.2, and noticed that Messenger Plus! was no longer on it. I went to my Program Files, then to the Messenger Plus! 3 folder, and double-clicked "MsgPlus" hoping that it would work, but when I did that, it said this:

Messenger Plus! has not been properly installed on this system.

Please download and install the setup package of this program.

After I clicked OK, a window opened to the msgplus.net website. First I went to "Add or Remove Programs" to look for it so that I could delete it first, but it wasn't there, so I just went to the website and downloaded it. When it was done downloading, I clicked "Open" and my computer made a quick sound, then nothing happened. I tried to download it from one of the mirror sites too but it still kept making a sound and nothing happened.

Then I deleted the Messenger Plus! 3 folder from my Program Files then tried to download it again from the website, but it STILL did the same thing with the sound and nothing happened.

Can anyone help me figure out what's wrong? :S

RE: Messenger Plus won't work! by marissa on 09-06-2004 at 05:03 AM

by any chance did you install sp2? (service pack 2) Because this could be cause by the pop-up blocker it installs on internet explorer...i was just wondering if that could be it, because it does block the install things for me.

RE: Messenger Plus won't work! by Wabz on 09-06-2004 at 09:39 AM

Run a Registry cleaner to remove the leftovers of Plus in the registry. 

Now download Plus again renaming it when you click save as

Try and install ensuring you pay attention to options provided to you

RE: Messenger Plus won't work! by majestique on 09-07-2004 at 03:05 AM

How do I run a Registry cleaner?

I deleted some Messenger Plus parts from the registry .. then I tried to download it and renamed it when I clicked "save as" and everything, but when I double-clicked it, it still didn't work !

RE: RE: Messenger Plus won't work! by Hank on 09-07-2004 at 03:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by majestique
How do I run a Registry cleaner?

I deleted some Messenger Plus parts from the registry .. then I tried to download it and renamed it when I clicked "save as" and everything, but when I double-clicked it, it still didn't work !

in HKEY_CURRENT_USER/SOFTWARE/PATCHOU <--an delete that Key an then go to  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/PATCHOU <<-- an delete that Key

Btw, have you tried Creating another XP User Account?
RE: Messenger Plus won't work! by majestique on 09-08-2004 at 12:08 AM

those keys aren't there ...

RE: RE: Messenger Plus won't work! by Hank on 09-08-2004 at 03:26 AM

quote:
those keys aren't there ...

Hope your a patient Man coz by the looks of it your gonna have to   Format XP an reinstall it. if those Subkeys arent there you got a problem with your registry. by fixing it, your only choice is to do a complete fresh reinstall of XP .

BTW can some admin move this to "tech talk" group
RE: Messenger Plus won't work! by RaceProUK on 09-08-2004 at 10:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Demandred
Hope your a patient Man coz by the looks of it your gonna have to   Format XP an reinstall it. if those Subkeys arent there you got a problem with your registry. by fixing it, your only choice is to do a complete fresh reinstall of XP.
Ignore that: it's bullshit. There's no need for a reinstall of XP whatsoever. Just reinstall Plus, and that will replace the missing keys.

Demandred: Next time, try *not* to post such a drastic solution when a far simpler solution will do!
quote:
I tried to download it and renamed it when I clicked "save as" and everything, but when I double-clicked it, it still didn't work !
You shouldn't rename the installation file. Doing so is known to prevent it from working. Just download it and run it *without* renaming it, and it should work fine.
RE: Messenger Plus won't work! by CookieRevised on 09-08-2004 at 12:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
You shouldn't rename the installation file. Doing so is known to prevent it from working. Just download it and run it *without* renaming it, and it should work fine.
Renaming the installation file wont corrupt anything. It should work, even if you rename the file to "IhAtEpLuS.eXe"...
RE: Messenger Plus won't work! by RaceProUK on 09-08-2004 at 09:44 PM

Good point, but I do remember a thread where someone had renamed the installer 'MsgPlus.exe' and it wouldn't work.

RE: Messenger Plus won't work! by CookieRevised on 09-09-2004 at 12:14 AM

quote:
I deleted some Messenger Plus parts from the registry
You sure you ONLY deleted Messenger Plus! things?

I dunno if you already exactly tried this:

- Reinstall MSN Messenger from http://messenger.msn.com/
- Reboot
- Make sure you don't have any anti-adware/spyware programs running (bad configuration of these can block downloads)
- Open Browser and clear your browsers cache completely (including offline items, etc...)
- Close your browser!
- Open Browser again and download Plus! from http://www.msgplus.net/
- Run the setup and install with the sponsor!
- Go to add/remove programs, find "Plus!" and uninstall it. Make sure you follow all the instructions. Also choose to not keep your settings.
- Reboot
- Run the setup again and install without the sponsor.

RE: RE: Messenger Plus won't work! by Hank on 09-09-2004 at 12:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
quote:
Hope your a patient Man coz by the looks of it your gonna have to   Format XP an reinstall it. if those Subkeys arent there you got a problem with your registry. by fixing it, your only choice is to do a complete fresh reinstall of XP.
Ignore that: it's bullshit. There's no need for a reinstall of XP whatsoever. Just reinstall Plus, and that will replace the missing keys.

Demandred: Next time, try *not* to post such a drastic solution when a far simpler solution will do!
quote:
I tried to download it and renamed it when I clicked "save as" and everything, but when I double-clicked it, it still didn't work !

Demandred: Next time, try *not* to post such a drastic solution when a far simpler solution will do

an you think by just reinstalling Plus will fix his Missing registry key missing problem also?  ur sadly mistaken
RE: Messenger Plus won't work! by Plik on 09-12-2004 at 11:29 AM

quote:
quote:

Demandred: Next time, try *not* to post such a drastic solution when a far simpler solution will do

WTF was that about?
And re-installing plus will fix his missing registay keys, Because plus makes those keys, there fore re-installing will remake them