Shoutbox

Cmd Help - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Cmd Help (/showthread.php?tid=31116)

Cmd Help by LoochTheMan on 09-08-2004 at 01:23 AM

i am trying to open some old games of mine that open in MS-DOS mode, but there is an error that always shows up. it did work b4, as well i have two disk drives...E: and C:...i dont know.  Im no computer expert so i need some advice that i can understand...

thanks

P.S, the Popup says :

16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem
E:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe
E:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Chose 'Close' to terminate the application.

Close    Ignore

RE: Cmd Help by DJeX on 09-08-2004 at 01:35 AM

ahh ok, this happened to me. Not for sure why it does that. I think it is because of spy ware, but not sure. It seems like the cmd is corrupt. I would try replacing the cmd.exe with a good one. I'm guessing you have Win XP so do a Google for cmd.exe and download and replace your existing one.

RE: Cmd Help by LoochTheMan on 09-08-2004 at 01:51 AM

does anyone know where to download a reliable cmd.exe file?

RE: Cmd Help by DJeX on 09-08-2004 at 02:02 AM

Try your Win XP CD.

RE: Cmd Help by LoochTheMan on 09-08-2004 at 03:22 AM

Ai Ai captain, i will try that when i get out of school tomorow...thnx

RE: Cmd Help by matty on 09-08-2004 at 04:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by DJeX
Try your Win XP CD.
quote:
Originally posted by LoochTheMan
Ai Ai captain, i will try that when i get out of school tomorow...thnx
That wont work as all files used for Windows XP Installation are compressed.

I am getting this exact message while trying to install AVG Anti Virus (any version). I think the problem is that neither you nor I have Autoexec.nt because I cant find it on my computer either... So needless to say that would possibly be the file you would be looking at extracting.

To do so you put in the Windows XP cd rom and do the following.

Click Start > click Run (then copy and paste the following)
code:
expand %cdrom%:\i386\autoexec.nt_ c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt
Now where %cdrom% is you want to replace it with the drive letter where the cd is. For instance If you have 1 hard drive and 1 CD Rom drive, normally your CD Rom drive is the D Drive.

After doing this I was able to run the AVG Installation (did this just as I was posting)

Now if your applications you are trying to run are 16Bit you might have to run the Windows Compatibility Wizard so that it will run the proper file allowing Windows to use it. (the file is wowexec.exe if anyone cares)
RE: Cmd Help by LoochTheMan on 09-09-2004 at 01:59 AM

still doesnt work...same message somes up

RE: Cmd Help by matty on 09-09-2004 at 02:16 AM

Click on Start > Run > copy and paste the following

code:
hcp://system/compatctr/compatmode.htm
Try running the compatibility wizard.
RE: Cmd Help by LoochTheMan on 09-09-2004 at 02:22 AM

still the same popup each time:(

RE: Cmd Help by matty on 09-09-2004 at 02:29 AM

Talked to CookieRevised on MSN and we both thought the same thing.

CookieRevised says:
other then "your 16-bit app isn't capable of running in a 32-bit system"

RE: Cmd Help by LoochTheMan on 09-09-2004 at 02:32 AM

it is though because in the past i have loaded the same programs i am trying now successfully on this computer.  As well, some of my up to  date software's installers are having the same popup when i try to open it.   

RE: Cmd Help by CookieRevised on 09-09-2004 at 02:45 AM

An up-to-date-installer wouldn't be 16-bit, so that error couldn't pop up for it. If all this is exactly as you've said, then you have some major problems with your XP installation...

Also, when you say "in the past", do you mean on a XP/NT machine?

Also, running a 16-bit game in an NT environment isn't strait-forward at all, and almost each individual program does need individual tweaking to be able to run decently in NT/XP (and this tweaking can involve many many things, from editing autoexec.nt/bat/dos files or config.sys files, to altering settings in the program itself, to editing the registry). And because there are millions of "old" 16-bit applications it isn't that easy to help you (unfortunatly), if you don't know much about computers....

XP solved it partly with the compatibily wizard, but that will not solve every possible problem (for the above reasons)...

But after reading this thread, my first suggestion would be, make sure your XP installation is in top condition and is installed absolutly properly without any twirks and hitches....

RE: Cmd Help by LoochTheMan on 09-09-2004 at 02:47 AM

yes when i say in the past i mean on this exact Windows Xp Pro

RE: Cmd Help by matty on 09-09-2004 at 02:50 AM

quote:
it is though because in the past i have loaded the same programs i am trying now successfully on this computer.  As well, some of my up to  date software's installers are having the same popup when i try to open it.

Newer Installers can have the problem but it should have been resolved but putting a new Autoexec.nt in the systemroot.
RE: Cmd Help by LoochTheMan on 09-09-2004 at 02:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Matty.
quote:

Newer Installers can have the problem but it should have been resolved but putting a new Autoexec.nt in the systemroot.

i never put a new Autoexec.nt in system root.  explain to me how so i can try that method
RE: Cmd Help by matty on 09-09-2004 at 02:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Matty
Click Start > click Run (then copy and paste the following)

code:
expand %cdrom%:\i386\autoexec.nt_ c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt