Shoutbox

Msgplus.net Links in Messenger Plus! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Msgplus.net Links in Messenger Plus! (/showthread.php?tid=31147)

Msgplus.net Links in Messenger Plus! by riahc4 on 09-08-2004 at 08:25 PM

i think in the next version that all the links that clicked in the Messenger Plus! menu should open in a new window rather than take over and existing one.

RE: Msgplus.net Links in Messenger Plus! by Choli on 09-08-2004 at 08:45 PM

:huh: Could you explain a bit more that? What links in what menu?

RE: Msgplus.net Links in Messenger Plus! by megamuff on 09-08-2004 at 08:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by riahc4
i think in the next version that all the links that clicked in the Messenger Plus! menu should open in a new window rather than take over and existing one.

that is an internet explorer issue, luckily microsoft has a fix for this, go into tools, options and the advanced tab, look around for 'reuse windows for launching shortcuts' blah blah. i need not explain the rest.
RE: Msgplus.net Links in Messenger Plus! by CookieRevised on 09-09-2004 at 12:56 AM

riahc4 is correct in saying that links in the about window open in the current browser window. Also the link to www.msgplus.net that is opened after you install Plus! is openend in the current browser window and thus overwriting the current loaded page (which is indeed very annoying)...

But, no, it isn't a internet explorer issue. It is perfectly possible to define that the link should open in a new window.

megamuff, what you describe is a setting which will open any link in a new window (even the ones that don't define that you want to open the link in a new window). It is related, and it is way around for MSIE users only, but the links should be openend in a new window in the first place without the use of this setting...

This has been suggested before...
I hope Patchou sees this and can fix it (although it can be considered as a minor GUI twirk and thus not a "priority number 1")...

RE: Msgplus.net Links in Messenger Plus! by riahc4 on 09-09-2004 at 08:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
riahc4 is correct in saying that links in the about window open in the current browser window. Also the link to www.msgplus.net that is opened after you install Plus! is openend in the current browser window and thus overwriting the current loaded page (which is indeed very annoying)...

But, no, it isn't a internet explorer issue. It is perfectly possible to define that the link should open in a new window.

megamuff, what you describe is a setting which will open any link in a new window (even the ones that don't define that you want to open the link in a new window). It is related, and it is way around for MSIE users only, but the links should be openend in a new window in the first place without the use of this setting...

This has been suggested before...
I hope Patchou sees this and can fix it (although it can be considered as a minor GUI twirk and thus not a "priority number 1")...

Finally someone that understand lol

megamuff - I have that already enabled in IE but clearly Plus! doesnt care about this setting.
The first time install one is really annoying that it takes over a existing window. And all the links to such as Online Help should open in a new window and not take over one. If Patchou could implant this it would be alot less annoying than before.

RE: Msgplus.net Links in Messenger Plus! by Patchou on 09-09-2004 at 12:25 PM

Plus! justasks Windows to open the page in the default browser, the settings ar ein the browser itself. It's the same thing for any other software you would normally use :). If one of you have a code sample to do this, go ahead and shoot.

RE: Msgplus.net Links in Messenger Plus! by CookieRevised on 09-09-2004 at 01:27 PM

I don't have the code (unfortunatly) , but I did come across programs which are capable of opening their urls in new windows....

RE: Msgplus.net Links in Messenger Plus! by Choli on 09-09-2004 at 07:51 PM

quote:
I don't have the code (unfortunatly) , but I did come across programs which are capable of opening their urls in new windows....
that depends on the browser, as Patchy said. If a program uses the "standar" way of opening web pages (and files and etc...) it's up to the browser to decide where to open that page 8in the same window or in another window or in a new tab.

For example, when I install plus, my avant browser creates a new tab. It loads msgplus.net in it, not in the current tab.
RE: Msgplus.net Links in Messenger Plus! by Patchou on 09-09-2004 at 07:51 PM

Well, I can't use either DDE or parameters for one simple reason: these methods change for each browser (each one has its DDE parameters and command line parameters). If there is a clean way to do it, please let me know but so far, I found nothing (except doing like Messenger does: stick to IE, and I'm sure you don't want that :p).

RE: Msgplus.net Links in Messenger Plus! by Choli on 09-09-2004 at 08:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
stick to IE, and I'm sure you don't want that
of course not :D Keep using the API you use. It's a problem of people's browers :refuck::P
RE: Msgplus.net Links in Messenger Plus! by Shaggie on 09-09-2004 at 10:57 PM

Could you not read the default command stored in the registry (which is usually "open") for html files and use that to open the web pages (Just ignore any DDE portion of the command - DDE sucks anyway).  If anyone has problems then at that time we could figure out the necessary info to put in the registry to make it work correctly for their browser.  I have written similar code in VB (I know that you use C) to do just that for other file extensions.

That being said, CookieRevised is correct that this is a low priority issue.

RE: Msgplus.net Links in Messenger Plus! by riahc4 on 09-10-2004 at 01:27 AM

Patchou has spoken on one of my threads wow lol

ok alot of people are saying that in IE if u uncheck the option of Reuse windows to open shortcuts it'll open it in a new window. It doesnt for me so maybe all IE, Firefox, Netscape ect users pitch in and tell how to set the argument so messenger plus! opens all links in a new windows. I dont think it would take TOO much code to be put in Plus! and its just a little fix.

And i agree with everyone's statement that this is a low priority issue.

RE: Msgplus.net Links in Messenger Plus! by Patchou on 09-10-2004 at 05:21 AM

Well, unfortunately I can't code browser-specific instructions (itwould have no end) and every browser has its own way topass command line parameters too.

I sincirely searched for a way to do this but I didn't find any. Unchecking "reuse window" in IE options is supposed to do the trick. If it doesn't, you probably have something messed up in your configuration, sorry about that :)

RE: RE: Msgplus.net Links in Messenger Plus! by megamuff on 09-13-2004 at 10:35 PM

quote:

lie. i browse around the net all day and dont have 54 browser windows open, just 2 - one gmail, and this one. it only opens new windows when you load urls OUTSIDE OF INTERNET EXPLORER, or if the web page whos link you click has code similar to the following on that link: target="_blank"
EDIT: (wow so much editing..) or if you right click and use 'open in new window'.

quote:
Originally posted by riahc4
megamuff - I have that already enabled in IE but clearly Plus! doesnt care about this setting.
The first time install one is really annoying that it takes over a existing window. And all the links to such as Online Help should open in a new window and not take over one. If Patchou could implant this it would be alot less annoying than before.

oh well, i tried..
RE: Msgplus.net Links in Messenger Plus! by CookieRevised on 09-14-2004 at 12:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by megamuff
it only opens new windows when you load urls OUTSIDE OF INTERNET EXPLORER
That's exactly what I was talking about... :rolleyes: