Shoutbox

Integrating KSMAS into this board - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: Integrating KSMAS into this board (/showthread.php?tid=31181)

Integrating KSMAS into this board by KeyStorm on 09-09-2004 at 06:24 PM

I've been working a lot on KSMAS as some of you might have noticed.
Although KSMAS is not currently ready to integrate into different user-session evironments, it could be easily done using a custom session converter (well, that's what I think) in order to adopt the website session-environment.

I thought, this would fit here very well, once tested and working.

For those who didn't understand anything, the idea is that being user from this board automatically makes you user from the KSMAS instalation on this board without having to register/login twice.

Obviously, one of the most important things, is the filesize control which I kindof forgot in last versions, but I'm successfully working on it right now.

I'm just wondering if admins would be willing to integrate KSMAS into this board after some performance testing (in order to avoid server-overloading) in the future.

Edit: For those who don't know about KSMAS, it is a script that allows you to have dynamic avatars set easily. In newer versions, you can set up many accounts as admistrator and set up several things (here goes the size-limit, f.i.). As it's multi-user orientated, it would easily integrate into an already existing multi-user environment.

RE: Integrating KSMAS into this board by WDZ on 09-09-2004 at 07:00 PM

I dunno... I've never really looked at KSMAS or its code. :^)

MyBB's "static" avatar feature already uses quite a bit of bandwidth... letting everyone upload sets of images for dynamic avatars would probably be worse... :-/ IMO, it's best for avatars to be on other servers. Does KSMAS support having the script on one server and the images on another? For example, the script I wrote for Choli's avatar...

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/images/member/choli.php

It simply redirects to a random image on usuarios.lycos.es.

RE: Integrating KSMAS into this board by KeyStorm on 09-09-2004 at 07:21 PM

Well, it's not really thought to be able to do that, but it could be implemented. Making KSMAS go optionally (optional for admins) FTP would not be a bad idea, but it'd require some more customization. :P

There could be a solution in the browser cache, but some changeds would have to be done, though (like having a digit in the URL changed for every single image).

RE: Integrating KSMAS into this board by Omar on 09-10-2004 at 02:40 AM

Not to put KeyStorm down or anything.... (he knows I luv him... :P)

But if WDZ has already a code that support having the script on one server and the images on another...

Isn't easier to implement such code, rather than adding a "strange" code...? :undecided:

RE: Integrating KSMAS into this board by WDZ on 09-10-2004 at 02:47 AM

My code is very simple, and all the URLs are hard-coded. It doesn't allow members to configure their own dynamic avatars. Of course, that feature could be added. And I do prefer using my own scripts... :p

RE: Integrating KSMAS into this board by KeyStorm on 09-10-2004 at 08:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
My code is very simple, and all the URLs are hard-coded. It doesn't allow members to configure their own dynamic avatars. Of course, that feature could be added. And I do prefer using my own scripts... :p

But that's a lotta work (:refuck:).

By now it has taken me like 3500 lines of code.
And I'm sure the script for Choli doesn't have more than... 3?

Well, it's opensoure, it's there, you might take a look at it when you wish. :P
RE: Integrating KSMAS into this board by WDZ on 09-10-2004 at 04:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by KeyStorm
By now it has taken me like 3500 lines of code.
Ridiculous. :refuck:

Does that include the HTML? =p

It's the world's largest (perhaps most bloated? (a)) random avatar script! [Image: banana_flip.gif]

quote:
And I'm sure the script for Choli doesn't have more than... 3?
7. :p

quote:
Well, it's opensoure, it's there, you might take a look at it when you wish.
Yeah, I think I will... when I'm really bored.
RE: Integrating KSMAS into this board by KeyStorm on 09-10-2004 at 04:41 PM

(obviously including HTML :dodgy:)

Bloated? Prolly :tongue:

I also think I was really bored when I started with it. But then I got sortof engaged :P

Bleh, was just an idea, never mind. :^)

RE: Integrating KSMAS into this board by saralk on 09-13-2004 at 07:24 PM

maybe its fact that you put everything into one file for set-up (well since i last looked at it)

RE: Integrating KSMAS into this board by KeyStorm on 09-13-2004 at 07:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
maybe its fact that you put everything into one file for set-up (well since i last looked at it)
I'm afraid that isn't the reason for anything... :-/
I like to keep it as simple as possible. So, there goes the setup script, well, almost like any windows installer. :P
RE: Integrating KSMAS into this board by wj on 09-13-2004 at 08:52 PM

Honestly I thought that was a pretty inovative idea for doing the install.

RE: Integrating KSMAS into this board by fluffy_lobster on 09-13-2004 at 08:52 PM

I have some spare space and a lot of spare bandwidth.  I could host the KSMAS images on that if you like :)

[edit]  If it's running off one huge file that includes setup you probably should change it, cos loading a large file isn't good for mass-load.  Perhaps you could include a tarball in the php file using heredoc syntax and then untar all the files into place with the script.

RE: Integrating KSMAS into this board by KeyStorm on 09-13-2004 at 09:08 PM

Thanks, wj, for your praise and Lobster for your offer. :)

But for the moment KSMAS should mature a little bit more, before being used as I mention before (integrated to sites, etc), but that would be great if it was done someday.
I wondered if WDZ would be willing to try it out in a mid-future, as I'm not on many other forums and can't personally test it in real life (many users, overload, session-migration, etc.).

Obviously I can understand that he neither wants some code he doesn't know himself nor wants to test anything unstable or exploitable on his board.

So well, I'll have to work some more on it (like making the nifty installer work again :-/) and improving some other things that are probably more prioritary than this.

Edit: Well, it's not that much load, it's hardly more than 300kB which have to be exported. And it has been doing fine until I did some changes for supporting safe mode (installing from an assistant.php running under Apache's UID). That has been working in very limited areas, so I'm trying to merge it with the old setup style and let it automatically switch to either one after collecting some info about the browser.
The tarball method could be interesting for the images I have base64 encoded, as they get bigger when stored as text.
But yeah, I should reconsider some things about the setup.

RE: Integrating KSMAS into this board by wj on 09-13-2004 at 09:43 PM

KeyStorm, I might have a great site to integrate ksmas into if your intrested. IM me sometime.

MSN: williamjames@qwest.net
AIM (prefered): wjods

RE: Integrating KSMAS into this board by KeyStorm on 09-13-2004 at 10:06 PM

Hm... sounds great. :) I'll keep that in mind.
But I additionally have to work, get to the uni and have a bit of social life, and I have some work with KSMAS pending before I'm reasdy to go on with something like this. No doubt I'll get in contact with you as soon as we can start this. I'll add you to my MSN (no AIM, soz :-/) asap, though.

Thanks.