Shoutbox

Messenger Plus! - New Usage Statistics - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Messenger Plus! - New Usage Statistics (/showthread.php?tid=31205)

Messenger Plus! - New Usage Statistics by Patchou on 09-10-2004 at 05:31 AM

Hello everyone,

as you may already know, a new version of Messenger Plus! will be released in about ten days from now. As always, bug fixes, improvements and new features will be present. However, there is one new thing tat you need to be aware of.

Messenger Plus! already brings many, many features to MSN Messenger and Windows Messenger. It has become very hard for me to decide what feature I should improve in each release. I currently have almost no idea about what features are really used and what features are dead-weight. In order to know where to concentrate my efforts, I've decided to add anonymous usage statistics into Messenger Plus!.

Once a week, when Messenger Plus! will check for updates, anonymous statistics will be sent to the server. These statistics are very simple one and consist of true/false information only such as "quicktext was used", "Plus! contact list icon was pressed", ... of course, nothing personal such as chat logs or your contact's emails will be sent. Again, only anonymous numerical data will be sent in a simple http request of less than 1Kb. This featurewill be on bydefaultand you'll easily beable to deactivate it permanently in the first window of the preferences panel (General Options\Local Settings).

Feel free to post comments about this new addition. I hope all of you will understand the necessity of such statistics. This way is the less intrusive way I found to send me the few data I need to continue to improve Messenger Plus! the right way.

Patchou

RE: Messenger Plus! - New Usage Statistics by Chrono on 09-10-2004 at 05:56 AM

its an excelent idea to know which features should be removed so u can focus on most used features (Y)

RE: Messenger Plus! - New Usage Statistics by FadeToBlack on 09-10-2004 at 07:52 AM

Yah I think its a very good idea. I'm sure most features would get used , since none of them are really useless as such, but then again thats where third party plug ins come in.

RE: Messenger Plus! - New Usage Statistics by CookieRevised on 09-10-2004 at 10:36 AM

I support the idea also. However when it comes out that a certain feature isn't use very often/much, I wouldn't remove it though, like Chrono suggested! Only scrap it from the further developing/improving-list. In that way, nobody will be dissapointed and you still can focus on the important (and new) features...

RE: Messenger Plus! - New Usage Statistics by RebelSean on 09-10-2004 at 11:39 AM

Sounds like a good idea Patchou. I can't wait till 10 days so I can get it :d.

RE: RE: Messenger Plus! - New Usage Statistics by ZrednaZ on 09-10-2004 at 11:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
I support the idea also. However when it comes out that a certain feature isn't use very often/much, I wouldn't remove it though, like Chrono suggested! Only scrap it from the further developing/improving-list. In that way, nobody will be dissapointed and you still can focus on the important (and new) features...

Disagreed. :) Obviously all unpopular features should be removed in order to tidy up the preferences menu. Even despite the nice Plus! 3 update of the preferences window, it's still rather difficult to find your way around.
RE: Messenger Plus! - New Usage Statistics by CookieRevised on 09-10-2004 at 12:03 PM

That is realy not "obvious"...... What you suggest is downgrading, aka ripping features from a product. That is a major step and not to be taken lightly! There is a very big difference between taking them of, and stop "improving"/"developing" them....

So, because I use the import/export feature only once in x months, instead of the custom names-feature I use every day, the import/export should be taken off???

I can tell you right now that when this is done with any feature, we will get many questions and complaints on the forum and on IRC...

RE: Messenger Plus! - New Usage Statistics by Millenium_edition on 09-10-2004 at 03:10 PM

I'm for this idea, but only if you ask the user to do that at first startup. Like trillian does.

And I agree with cookie, don't remove the feature, make it a hidden reg setting ;)

RE: Messenger Plus! - New Usage Statistics by Twan on 09-10-2004 at 03:35 PM

yes I agree with cookie too.. some features may only be used not much or by a few users but why remove it ?? no reason for it.

when there comes a new version you expect to see the old features + more  :)

RE: Messenger Plus! - New Usage Statistics by -dt- on 09-10-2004 at 03:39 PM

I'm all for this I don't mind letting programs that I like colleting info , i dont agree with ME and ZrednaZ why remove the fetures im sure some one out there has a use for every feture of plus and making it a reg setting would probly only confuse them and like cookie said people will just rush in and start asking where x gone and how do i get it back?

RE: Messenger Plus! - New Usage Statistics by Patchou on 09-10-2004 at 04:00 PM

Just to let you know: no feature will be removed from Plus!. I'm sure all of them are used, even my a minority of people. However, I'll put my time on the features that are widely used, and that's why the stats are important.

RE: Messenger Plus! - New Usage Statistics by Wabz on 09-10-2004 at 09:32 PM

It's a great way of advancing Plus to the next level and discovering what features can be advanced even futher.

RE: Messenger Plus! - New Usage Statistics by Choli on 09-10-2004 at 10:14 PM

It's a good idea, Patchou, and due to I trust you in the fact that it doesn't collect personal info, I have it enabled (yes, i have the translator beta :refuck: ), unlike the similar feature of messenger (which i always disable:P)

RE: Messenger Plus! - New Usage Statistics by Dane on 09-10-2004 at 10:48 PM

I fully support the idea and I love to see Plus! Progress and fully trust you, but I think for the newer users a Privacy Policy on this feature should be embedded in the program and instead of being on by default, it should request authorization on the first running of Plus! if it can or cannot.

RE: Messenger Plus! - New Usage Statistics by Chrono on 09-11-2004 at 01:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Dane

I fully support the idea and I love to see Plus! Progress and fully trust you, but I think for the newer users a Privacy Policy on this feature should be embedded in the program and instead of being on by default, it should request authorization on the first running of Plus! if it can or cannot.
we discussed it on irc and thought that it would be the best way.
RE: Messenger Plus! - New Usage Statistics by BEWARE^^ on 09-11-2004 at 01:44 AM

quote:

I agree with dane, however i think its not ment to be to put on everything an authorization while its actually not nessesary :) and it even can get annoying too ;) all those authorization marks.

and keep up the good work patchou (Y)(Y)(Y)
RE: Messenger Plus! - New Usage Statistics by Patchou on 09-11-2004 at 04:57 AM

Well, te thing is: if I prompt a mesage asking the user, most people will refuse because they will be afraid, so I can't do that, my stats wouldn't be useful anymore. You can monitor the connection if you want, the stats are sent once a week alongwith the autoupdate request. You'll see that there are only a bunch of php parameters equal to 1 and the country set in your Windows local settings, nothing more :)

RE: Messenger Plus! - New Usage Statistics by Scito on 09-11-2004 at 06:37 AM

Excellent idea Patchou, in this way Msg Plus! will become even better (if it isn't already the best ;))

RE: Messenger Plus! - New Usage Statistics by surfichris on 09-11-2004 at 08:04 AM

What is Messenger Plus? :| Don't tell me I have came to the wrong forums or something.

Blah.. I try my hardest :p

Excellent news of the new release Patchou.

I'm sure you'll have a new advertising campaign for your Plus! merchandise soon too.. If you know what I mean ;)

RE: Messenger Plus! - New Usage Statistics by Millenium_edition on 09-11-2004 at 10:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
Well, te thing is: if I prompt a mesage asking the user, most people will refuse because they will be afraid, so I can't do that, my stats wouldn't be useful anymore.
true. but if you're not asking it people will complaint that plus! is sending data to its server, therefore it is some kind of spyware if you don't ask it. there's lots of spyware that sends your visited websites to it's server, and you can uninstall it if you want :-/

conclusion: not asking = spyware.
RE: Messenger Plus! - New Usage Statistics by Choli on 09-11-2004 at 10:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition
conclusion: not asking = spyware.
nope. In that case, messenger would be also spyware.

IMO, if not private information is sent and if there is an option to turn it off, it isn't spyware.
RE: Messenger Plus! - New Usage Statistics by Dane on 09-11-2004 at 01:16 PM

Well, obviously its not spyware but n00bs will think it was :P.

RE: Messenger Plus! - New Usage Statistics by Sunshine on 09-11-2004 at 01:55 PM

I think it should be notified as put on by default on installing (diff screen not in the sponsor one f.e. maybe with an option to turn it off...or with an explanation how to turn it off and a real clear explanation its to improve plus and that its anonymous) to avoid ppl complainin afterwards (msg plus! is spyin on me ooohhh )

P.s. I don't mind but u know how paranoid some ppl get :(

RE: Messenger Plus! - New Usage Statistics by Millenium_edition on 09-11-2004 at 01:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Choli
nope, as messenger has it disabled by default ;)
RE: Messenger Plus! - New Usage Statistics by Patchou on 09-11-2004 at 04:33 PM

Me, I'm sorry but I totally disagree. My software is not a spyware just because it sends a couple of bytes of statistical information to my server once a week. This is the kind of mixup that makes everyone thinks everything is a spyware nowadays.

Please who don't want that kind of thing will be sart enoughto opentheir prefs and uncheck the option that sits on the first page :). All the other people will just not care at all (and that's the vast majority). The only thing that could afraid an average user is a message box prompt asking to send statistics information to a server and that's why I won't do it. Ican't add it in the installer either because it would get confused with the sponsor stuff, and finally, I can't put warnings when you start Messenger because I've never wanted to prompt anything after Plus! was installed.

People who are suspicious will just monitor their internet connection and will see that the data that's being sent is no more than something like that:
stats.msgplus-update.net/msgplus-stats1.php?c=CAN&piiu=1&pciu=1&pw=1&pp=1&pqt=1&psp=1&qs=1&ufc=1&pi=1&fw=1

And to make everyone happy, here is the meaning of what's being sent... all capital letters of a word form the php parameter:
enum EStats1
{
    ES1_QuickTextUse = 0x1,
    ES1_PlusImIconUse = 0x2,
    ES1_PlusCtcIconUse = 0x4,
    ES1_PrefWindow = 0x8,
    ES1_PrefPlugins = 0x10,
    ES1_PrefQuickText = 0x20,
    ES1_PrefQuickIcons = 0x40,
    ES1_PrefStatusPreset = 0x80,
    ES1_UseEncryption = 0x100,
    ES1_QuoteSender = 0x200,
    ES1_UseQuoteSender = 0x400,
    ES1_UseFindText = 0x800,
    ES1_UseFormatCodes = 0x1000,
    ES1_TextRecall = 0x2000,
    ES1_PluginInstalled = 0x4000,
    ES1_UseScheduler = 0x8000,
    ES1_UseLockMessenger = 0x10000,
    ES1_UseBossProtect = 0x20000,
    ES1_UsePersoStatusName = 0x40000,
    ES1_UsePersoStatusMsg = 0x80000,
    ES1_UseAutoAccept = 0x100000,
    ES1_HideAdvert = 0x200000,
    ES1_WordFilters = 0x400000,
    ES1_Pop3Emails = 0x800000,
    ES1_EventLogViewer = 0x1000000,
    ES1_EventLogFile = 0x2000000,
    ES1_ChatLogFilter = 0x4000000,
    ES1_CustomNames = 0x8000000,
    ES1_UseSpecialTags = 0x10000000,
    ES1_UseOverrideTextFormat = 0x20000000,
    ES1_UseSoundCommands = 0x40000000,
    ES1_FloatWindows = 0x80000000
};

Patchou

RE: Messenger Plus! - New Usage Statistics by Millenium_edition on 09-11-2004 at 05:19 PM

quote:
Me, I'm sorry but I totally disagree. My software is not a spyware just because it sends a couple of bytes of statistical information to my server once a week. This is the kind of mixup that makes everyone thinks everything is a spyware nowadays.
spyware = sending stuff you do, but not confidential info, to a server. without warning ;)
evil spyware = spyware and sends confidential info to a server.

what is msgplus then? it does what spyware does, unles you give that stupid dialog box? :s
RE: Messenger Plus! - New Usage Statistics by BEWARE^^ on 09-11-2004 at 05:43 PM

quote:
quote:
spyware = sending stuff you do, but not confidential info, to a server. without warning ;)
evil spyware = spyware and sends confidential info to a server.

what is msgplus then? it does what spyware does, unles you give that stupid dialog box? :s

I disagree with this coz, its an optional function in msn messenger, and its no spyware. He added only an option to send some statistics to his server to improve msgplus only more and more, and to see what things went wrong so he can fix it and it would only more usefull for you and other people  who are useing it;):)
RE: Messenger Plus! - New Usage Statistics by Choli on 09-11-2004 at 06:21 PM

quote:
quote:
nope, as messenger has it disabled by default ;)
no. you are wrong. It is enabled by default, and, even more, each time you sign in in a diferent computer it is enabled.
quote:

etc....
I toatlly agree (Y)
RE: Messenger Plus! - New Usage Statistics by Millenium_edition on 09-11-2004 at 07:21 PM

quote:
no. you are wrong. It is enabled by default, and, even more, each time you sign in in a diferent computer it is enabled.
it is NOT :-/
quote:
Originally posted by MSN Messenger
Click here to join the customer improvement program.
hello?
RE: Messenger Plus! - New Usage Statistics by Jeronimo on 09-11-2004 at 09:27 PM

The dictionary definition of spyware is:

any software that covertly gathers information about a user while he/she navigates the Internet and transmits the information to an individual or company that uses it for marketing or other purposes; also called adware

Now the question is, does Plus covertly collect information? Well if there is an option to turn it off clearly in the Preferences, how can it be spying? Also does it contain information for marketing purposes?

Really we are talking a question of semantics. The real question is, is this a bad thing? If its helping Patchou then I am all for it. It contains non-personal information so it can't be used against a person. Most people won't even notice it. And those people that do notice should hopefully be smart enough to turn it off.

To be honest I expect there will be a few post on here akin to the ones about the optional sponsor program. Again I think our response will be the same to such posters. Use the search I reckon will be the common response.

Other programs do similar things. Winamp allows you to send anonymouse usage statistics back to them. Ask yourself, what really is the problem here?? :)

RE: Messenger Plus! - New Usage Statistics by Millenium_edition on 09-11-2004 at 09:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jeronimo
Winamp allows you to send anonymouse usage statistics back to them. Ask yourself, what really is the problem here??
hmmm didn't think of that. but your explanation makes no sence, since the dictionary says spyware is adware, which obviously isn't true?
RE: Messenger Plus! - New Usage Statistics by Jeronimo on 09-11-2004 at 09:36 PM

My argument is based on the fact that the definition of spyware is not clear. If you don't agree with the dictionary definition, then what do we define it as?

As I say, its a question of semantics. The question I am asking is, is this going to do any harm whatsoever? If not, why are we arguing? :D

RE: Messenger Plus! - New Usage Statistics by Millenium_edition on 09-11-2004 at 09:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jeronimo
If not, why are we arguing?
true :-#

but i'm against this simply because you're using the noobs who don't know what "statistics" means, by enabling it by default :s
RE: Messenger Plus! - New Usage Statistics by matty on 09-11-2004 at 10:10 PM

Messenger Plus! sends statistical information if you use the feature or not. Spyware sends what you do on the internet. Thats the different. Plus! wont send any information regarding what you have your settings set to just if you use them or not.

I have the Beta and all is good here. No complaints about usage statistics.

RE: Messenger Plus! - New Usage Statistics by KeyStorm on 09-11-2004 at 10:24 PM

quote:
Well, obviously its not spyware but n00bs will think it was
Obviously, a n00b won't care much about this. A n00b will not notice anything is sent unless ZoneAlarm pops up saying Messenger Plus is trying to access the internet, if they read that pop up they'll allow MP! to access the internet, because they trust it. If not, well, they are in they right to block it, as well as if they blocked it from the pref panel.

Why is it no spyware?
ME, do we need to explain you what the word 'spy' means?

quote:
noobs who don't know what "statistics" means
Don't compare noobs to 9-year old kids. The word statistics is a word that appears every day on the newspapers, if you read them I'm sure it would be a common word for you ;)

Obviously in statistics, like in polls, you can choose whether to answer or not, and here you can choose explicitly whether or not to choose.
Why didn't you claim MP! was spyware when the auto-updater appeared? It is sending following message from your system: "I have an old version of software XX". Isn't that also spyware in your point of view?
RE: Messenger Plus! - New Usage Statistics by Choli on 09-11-2004 at 10:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by KeyStorm
Why didn't you claim MP! was spyware when the auto-updater appeared? It is sending following message from your system: "I have an old version of software XX". Isn't that also spyware in your point of view?
I agree. The same with the /ping feature....

My opinion: If there is a place where you can disable it, it isn't spyware.
RE: Messenger Plus! - New Usage Statistics by lylesback2 on 09-12-2004 at 03:27 PM

good idea.  I was gonna suggest putting a disable button in the prefference window.. but your already ahead 1 step ahead of me

RE: Messenger Plus! - New Usage Statistics by BEWARE^^ on 09-12-2004 at 03:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Matty.
Messenger Plus! sends statistical information if you use the feature or not. Spyware sends what you do on the internet. Thats the different. Plus! wont send any information regarding what you have your settings set to just if you use them or not.

I have the Beta and all is good here. No complaints about usage statistics.

i agree with matty in this thread and i have a beta version to and as far as i can find no problems/bugs found with the usage statistics.(Y)

RE: Messenger Plus! - New Usage Statistics by Choli on 09-12-2004 at 04:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BEWARE^^
i agree with matty in this thread and i have a beta version to and as far as i can find no problems/bugs found with the usage statistics.(Y)
where did you get the beta from?
RE: Messenger Plus! - New Usage Statistics by matty on 09-12-2004 at 04:08 PM

quote:
quote:
Choli hes on the Beta tester email so no worries.
RE: Messenger Plus! - New Usage Statistics by BEWARE^^ on 09-12-2004 at 05:37 PM

quote:
quote:

i got it from patchou coz ive asked it to him
RE: Messenger Plus! - New Usage Statistics by Patchou on 09-12-2004 at 05:37 PM

Well, as everyone agrees, let's close this now. I bet that we won't get much complains about it anyway, there's nothing to complain about, I'm not "using" anyone and there's nothingwrong in sending this kind of stats. Alot of software do it without you noticing, Plus! does it already you know: your current language/windows version and Plus! version is sent to the server when auto-update is checking and I never saw even one post talking about it. I could have added all these new stats to the auto-update url and nobody would haver ever complained but I didn't and for those of you who are paranoid, I just thought a new option would be more appropriate.