Shoutbox

Reputation system: anonymous votes? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: Reputation system: anonymous votes? (/showthread.php?tid=31227)

Reputation system: anonymous votes? by WDZ on 09-10-2004 at 07:13 PM

Should anonymous votes be allowed in the new reputation system? The old one was completely anonymous, but the new one will not be... either all votes will show who gave them, or it will be optional on a per-vote basis.

One option I was thinking about was only allowing anonymity if you don't leave a comment. That way, you can't flame someone anonymously. :p

For those who haven't seen it yet, attached is an image Guido made that shows what the new "reputation report" will look like...

RE: Reputation system: anonymous votes? by Choli on 09-10-2004 at 07:25 PM

I've voted "Yes, but only when there's no comment.*", but I can change my opinion to the first option depending on who will be allowed to vote. If only elites and above are allowed, then I think .............

wait... 8-) i'm not very sure.... nah! ok, I think now I have a better idea about that. It shouldn't be allowed giving anonymous votes. I don't see any reason on why someone would like to give an anonymous vote. If someone want to vote s/he has to say who is.

RE: Reputation system: anonymous votes? by user27089 on 09-10-2004 at 07:27 PM

I really don't like the idea, but i chose no to anonymous vbotes, that way we know who the hell rated us 8o|

RE: Reputation system: anonymous votes? by WDZ on 09-10-2004 at 07:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Choli
I've voted "Yes, but only when there's no comment.*", but I can change my opinion to the first option depending on who will be allowed to vote. If only elites and above are allowed, then I think .............
Oh, good point... I suppose I should have handled that issue first... :p

Currently, I'm planning to allow everyone with more than 100 posts to vote. Since there are fewer voting opportunities with the new system (you can only vote for each user once) there should be more people allowed to participate. At the moment there would be about 240 members allowed to vote.
RE: Reputation system: anonymous votes? by bach_m on 09-10-2004 at 07:36 PM

i think not. People should be able to stand behind their vote. They shouldn't be able to hide behind it. a person has a right to know who votes against them.

just my $0.02

RE: Reputation system: anonymous votes? by WDZ on 09-10-2004 at 07:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bach_m
i think not. People should be able to stand behind their vote. They shouldn't be able to hide behind it. a person has a right to know who votes against them.
Yep, I suppose you're right. :)

However, some people might like to "get revenge" on those who give them a negative vote... blah :p
RE: Reputation system: anonymous votes? by Choli on 09-10-2004 at 07:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
I'm planning to allow everyone with more than 100 posts to vote
NO!! That would be unfair and would increase the spam, IMO.
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
you can only vote for each user once)
in that case, people would be able to undo and chage their votes, right?
RE: Reputation system: anonymous votes? by Millenium_edition on 09-10-2004 at 07:47 PM

plainly no. i'd have like 0 as reputation *-)

RE: Reputation system: anonymous votes? by WDZ on 09-10-2004 at 07:48 PM

quote:
:^)

Are you only saying that because you're Elite? (a)

quote:
in that case, people would be able to undo and chage their votes, right?
Yep, that's already coded... you can easily update or delete your votes. :)
RE: Reputation system: anonymous votes? by KeyStorm on 09-10-2004 at 07:49 PM

Although WDZ is right about revenge issues that might appear, I think it's worse to let it anonimous and free for spamming.

Reputations could be moderated following sane mods criteria, but that would be much too much work. :P

RE: Reputation system: anonymous votes? by WDZ on 09-10-2004 at 07:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by KeyStorm
Although WDZ is right about revenge issues that might appear, I think it's worse to let it anonimous and free for spamming.
Yeah, probably. I just wanted to get that point out there for discussion... it's not necessarily important. :banana:

quote:
Originally posted by KeyStorm
Reputations could be moderated following sane mods criteria, but that would be much too much work.
lol... I agree... :p
RE: Reputation system: anonymous votes? by Choli on 09-10-2004 at 08:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:

Are you only saying that because you're Elite?
no, I said that because if you put a limit, people will spam to get at least those number and be able to vote.

Anyway, I agree that there should be some limit., but what about 250 (senior member)?
* Choli gos to check how many people has 250+ posts
RE: Reputation system: anonymous votes? by RebelSean on 09-10-2004 at 08:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
I really don't like the idea, but i chose no to anonymous vbotes, that way we know who the hell rated us 8o|

I agree. Totaly agreed there. Thats my vote :).
RE: Reputation system: anonymous votes? by WDZ on 09-10-2004 at 08:29 PM

quote:
no, I said that because if you put a limit, people will spam to get at least those number and be able to vote.
:-/

I dunno about that... isn't it the same as getting stars/titles? People will always spam... that's what moderators are for. Anyway, do you have a better idea to stop people from making throwaway accounts to vote for themselves? :p
RE: Reputation system: anonymous votes? by Choli on 09-10-2004 at 08:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
I dunno about that... isn't it the same as getting stars/titles? People will always spam... that's what moderators are for.
yes, you're right. I think there isn't any other sollution
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Anyway, do you have a better idea to stop people from making throwaway accounts to vote for themselves?
:lol: hahaha, I didn't think about that. Good point ;)
RE: Reputation system: anonymous votes? by musicalmidget on 09-10-2004 at 09:16 PM

Personally, I'd prefer annonymous voting to be allowed.

Revenge ratings (and postings) will almost certainly be an outcome of showing who voted which way.  It could create tension between some members, or it might put people off voting negatively, making it a little pointless.

RE: Reputation system: anonymous votes? by Joe on 09-10-2004 at 10:16 PM

I just think the reputation system makes no sense...popularity contest?!?!

RE: Reputation system: anonymous votes? by Millenium_edition on 09-10-2004 at 10:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by atownjoe
I just think the reputation system makes no sense...popularity contest?!?!
that's what WDZ does in his free time. statistics and popularity contests :lol:
RE: Reputation system: anonymous votes? by Chrono on 09-10-2004 at 10:40 PM

it should be optional. Most people who voted for "not allowing annonymous votes" just wanna know who voted for them to get revenge :dodgy: (just looking at traxors emoticon :P).
Making it optional is the best idea. i would personally like people to know it was me who rated them, but i know that there might be people who dont want to, specially to avoid receiving a bunch of pms asking for reasons (im pretty sure that sean (only an example danny :)) will pm whoever rates him badly :P)

RE: Reputation system: anonymous votes? by Choli on 09-10-2004 at 10:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
specially to avoid receiving a bunch of pms asking for reasons
mmm... the reasons should be given in the comments of the vote. (ie: vote negative; comment: you're a spammer and you should care a bit more about what you post etc...)
RE: Reputation system: anonymous votes? by Chrono on 09-10-2004 at 11:14 PM

quote:
(ie: vote negative; comment: you're a spammer and you should care a bit more about what you post etc...)
yeah yeah but i can see sean  (again sean, just an example :$ u are justa  good example :refuck:) pming someone saying that the given reasons are not true and stuff :P
RE: Reputation system: anonymous votes? by RebelSean on 09-10-2004 at 11:53 PM

You saying you agree with me chrono?

RE: Reputation system: anonymous votes? by Chrono on 09-10-2004 at 11:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Sean
You saying you agree with me chrono?
im saying that i want em to be optional.
RE: Reputation system: anonymous votes? by CookieRevised on 09-11-2004 at 08:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
it should be optional. Most people who voted for "not allowing annonymous votes" just wanna know who voted for them to get revenge :dodgy: (just looking at traxors emoticon :P).
Making it optional is the best idea. i would personally like people to know it was me who rated them, but i know that there might be people who dont want to, specially to avoid receiving a bunch of pms asking for reasons (im pretty sure that sean (only an example danny :)) will pm whoever rates him badly :P)
I totaly agree with this.....

There should be the possebility to vote anonym. Relative new users (100+ posts?) will be more reluctant to vote negative on higher ranked people if the votes aren't anonymous. (I wouldn't vote negative on a mod when I'm "new" on a forum if it isn't anonymous.)

And spamvotes will always be there, even if it isn't anonymous. Nothing much you can do about it.

I don't need to know who votes negative/positive on me. Sure it's nice to know, and I'll be curious, but it isn't realy needed...

Also, someone compared it with politics... well, in politics all votes are anonymous to respect people choices.
RE: Reputation system: anonymous votes? by WDZ on 09-14-2004 at 04:20 AM

Well, there are some good arguments here, but the poll says not to allow anonymous votes, so I guess I have to go with that.

Anyway, it would mean quite a bit more work to code support for anonymous voting.

Now, what to make a poll for next... :^)