Shoutbox

Rep. system: different "vote strength" based on rank? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: Rep. system: different "vote strength" based on rank? (/showthread.php?tid=31230)

Rep. system: different "vote strength" based on rank? by WDZ on 09-10-2004 at 08:43 PM

As you may remember, in the old reputation system, votes from admins were worth 3 points, mods worth 2, Elites worth 1. Should the new reputation system be like that or should everyone be equal?

This was more of an issue with the old system, where you could vote for the same user multiple times. Now it's much harder to abuse your reputation power. I still feel like having a vote though, to see what everyone thinks.

RE: Rep. system: different "vote strength" based on rank? by RebelSean on 09-10-2004 at 08:51 PM

I would say for everyone to have the same voting power :).

RE: Rep. system: different "vote strength" based on rank? by musicalmidget on 09-10-2004 at 09:08 PM

Me too.  It just seems more logical to me.

RE: Rep. system: different "vote strength" based on rank? by Choli on 09-10-2004 at 10:17 PM

where's the option "votes form new members should be worth more."? .... j/k :P

quote:
Originally posted by Sean
I would say for everyone to have the same voting power :).
I agree.

quote:
Originally posted by poll
Yes, votes from staff should be worth more.
if this is the most voted option, I'd like that the votes aren't 3 times more significat (like in the previous system). No more than 2 times.
RE: Rep. system: different "vote strength" based on rank? by WDZ on 09-11-2004 at 02:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Choli
if this is the most voted option, I'd like that the votes aren't 3 times more significat (like in the previous system). No more than 2 times.
I was thinking about it more after I posted the poll and logged off... I've now added a new option that I support, and maybe some of you "no" voters will like it too... :p
RE: Rep. system: different "vote strength" based on rank? by Vantage on 09-11-2004 at 03:25 AM

its like in real life...do the rich people votes count for 4 and the seniors count for 2? and its not fair for someone will higher powers on these forums count for more. Because whats the point of voting at all?

RE: Rep. system: different "vote strength" based on rank? by WDZ on 09-11-2004 at 03:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Vantage
its like in real life...do the rich people votes count for 4 and the seniors count for 2? and its not fair for someone will higher powers on these forums count for more.
Uhh... this isn't a government election... :p

And being a staff member isn't really comparable to being rich... we're staff members for a reason... we know the board best, and we're in charge, so I think our opinions are a bit more important. :blah!:

If we were rich, we wouldn't be sitting here deleting crappy spam... :p
RE: Rep. system: different "vote strength" based on rank? by Vantage on 09-11-2004 at 03:44 AM

umm... im making an unrevelant comparisson WDZ :D
jking...you got me there :(

RE: Rep. system: different "vote strength" based on rank? by CookieRevised on 09-11-2004 at 07:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
we're staff members for a reason... we know the board best, and we're in charge, so I think our opinions are a bit more important.
and for that I vote Option 1 or 2...
(spammers vote is equal to staff's vote? I don't like that idea tbh)
RE: Rep. system: different "vote strength" based on rank? by WDZ on 09-11-2004 at 07:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
we're staff members for a reason... we know the board best, and we're in charge, so I think our opinions are a bit more important.
and for that I vote Option 1 or 2...
Blah... that message wasn't worth quoting... it could have been written better and less arrogant-sounding :-/ :blah!:

quote:
(spammers vote is equal to staff's vote? I don't like that idea tbh)
* WDZ agrees :)
RE: Rep. system: different "vote strength" based on rank? by Anubis on 09-11-2004 at 08:49 AM

Personally I'd like to see only certain members being allowed to vote, not on the elite and above scale...members who are trusted and are regarded as mature can vote, anyone unknown can't...and everyone has equal voting power

RE: Rep. system: different "vote strength" based on rank? by WDZ on 09-11-2004 at 09:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
Personally I'd like to see only certain members being allowed to vote, not on the elite and above scale...members who are trusted and are regarded as mature can vote, anyone unknown can't
Who would keep that list of trusted members updated? Hopefully not me... :refuck:

And members that have 100+ posts usually aren't "unknown." I'm pretty sure that I'd recognize most of the members with that many posts. :p

I think there has to be some kind of "physical" limit or else people will be like "hey, why can't I vote?" :^) Also, an actual numeric limit seems more fair than human judgement.

Between the "one vote per user" and "max votes per day" restrictions, abuse won't be easy.

Edit: Some stats! :cheesy:

Number of members with 100+ posts who have been online in the last week: 150
Newest members in that group: DangerXone, may73alliance, Chestah007
RE: Rep. system: different "vote strength" based on rank? by user27089 on 09-11-2004 at 09:25 AM

Everyone should definitely have the same voting power :-/ otherwise, i'd say its a little bit unfair.

RE: Rep. system: different "vote strength" based on rank? by Eljay on 09-11-2004 at 10:33 AM

i think evybody should have same power but only ppl with a certain number of posts can vote
because otherwise ppl might make new accounts and vote for themself :dodgy:

RE: Rep. system: different "vote strength" based on rank? by Choli on 09-11-2004 at 10:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
I was thinking about it more after I posted the poll and logged off... I've now added a new option that I support, and maybe some of you "no" voters will like it too... :p
I like that second option.

btw, WDZ: in case you implement that option, could you add something so staff/elites can decide if their vote counts 1 or 2 points? There may be cases where I'd like to give only 1 point, not 2.
RE: Rep. system: different "vote strength" based on rank? by user27089 on 09-11-2004 at 10:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by leejeffery
i think evybody should have same power but only ppl with a certain number of posts can vote

Good idea :lol:
RE: RE: Rep. system: different "vote strength" based on rank? by Anubis on 09-11-2004 at 10:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
quote:
Originally posted by leejeffery

Good idea :lol:

Yeah I also agree, say from the rank Senior Member and above...

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Newest members in that group: DangerXone, may73alliance, Chestah007
You suggesting that these are :dodgy: members? Or have I missed the point?
RE: Rep. system: different "vote strength" based on rank? by Choli on 09-11-2004 at 10:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
You suggesting that these are :dodgy: members? Or have I missed the point?
i think he says that most of the 150+posts members are regular at the forums.
RE: Rep. system: different "vote strength" based on rank? by The Napster on 09-11-2004 at 11:07 AM

Everyone should have the same power... (sice i only got 115 posts ;) )

WDZ, stop trying to get your votes to count more :dodgy:

:p

Or else staff 2 & all others 1 would be OK since thy gotta do the dirty jobs ;)

RE: Rep. system: different "vote strength" based on rank? by marissa on 09-11-2004 at 07:34 PM

like, would people with less than 100 posts actually use the sytem anyways?  Id understand if they were just new members, but...for the ones that just join and need help, i dont think they'll actually care about the rep system. Im leaning towards "everyone gets equal voting power" but you could be a great helper, but some dont like you...so you'd get a bad rep and people will come on the forums and be like "well im not doing what they told me to do, they have a bad reputation"

i dont know if that made sence at all:S fuck it, ill just vote :(

RE: Rep. system: different "vote strength" based on rank? by KeyStorm on 09-11-2004 at 08:02 PM

Well, I think that from a mature point of view (ie everyone is mature enough) all votes should count equally.
BUT, as we know a lot of people, even regular members around here are not mature and may just vote negatively if there was a confrontation on IRC, on Messenger or even in real life, I think we can't really trust every vote.
For me, the best solution would be having a handfull trusted members chosen by the staff+elites. But since I know this won't be done, I vote for having this difference among voters,a lthough my vote will count the same as any spammer's, lamer's, etc's.

Well, I think it's just that I wouldn't trust my vote to some poeple around here, because I know they won't vote objectively.

But well, go ahead with the 2 - 1 system, it's the best option among the three, imo.

Edit: Just comes to my mind that that Marsh84721 (who is flooding the board right now) could be voting anyone:-/

RE: Rep. system: different "vote strength" based on rank? by WDZ on 09-12-2004 at 12:18 AM

quote:
btw, WDZ: in case you implement that option, could you add something so staff/elites can decide if their vote counts 1 or 2 points? There may be cases where I'd like to give only 1 point, not 2.
Oh yeah, I remember that being suggested in an old thread, but I forgot about it... :o Sure, I think I can implement that.

quote:
Yeah, that's the point I was trying to make: they are not "unknown" :p

quote:
Originally posted by The Napster
WDZ, stop trying to get your votes to count more
But they should be worth more (a)

quote:
Originally posted by marissa
like, would people with less than 100 posts actually use the sytem anyways?
I dunno... it would be nice if new members could vote for people who helped them, but allowing them to vote would open up new possibilities for abuse, so I can't do it. :p

quote:
Originally posted by KeyStorm
Edit: Just comes to my mind that that Marsh84721 (who is flooding the board right now) could be voting anyone
Huh? He made 100 posts? :p That's why the limit is so high... even if you spammed like crazy, it would be quite difficult to get 100 posts before being interrupted by a mod.
RE: Rep. system: different "vote strength" based on rank? by Concord Dawn on 09-12-2004 at 01:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
Oh yeah, I remember that being suggested in an old thread, but I forgot about it... :o Sure, I think I can implement that.

quote:
Yeah, that's the point I was trying to make: they are not "unknown" :p

quote:
Originally posted by The Napster
WDZ, stop trying to get your votes to count more
But they should be worth more (a)

quote:
Originally posted by marissa
like, would people with less than 100 posts actually use the sytem anyways?
I dunno... it would be nice if new members could vote for people who helped them, but allowing them to vote would open up new possibilities for abuse, so I can't do it. :p

quote:
Originally posted by KeyStorm
Edit: Just comes to my mind that that Marsh84721 (who is flooding the board right now) could be voting anyone
Huh? He made 100 posts? :p That's why the limit is so high... even if you spammed like crazy, it would be quite difficult to get 100 posts before being interrupted by a mod.

I've done it, I remember being banned for 2 weeks for it too.

I think that everyone should have equal power, but the Staff should be able to choose to count their vote for 1 or 2 points.  And also a 200 post minimum would keep out most unactive people.
RE: Rep. system: different "vote strength" based on rank? by Mippo on 09-12-2004 at 08:20 AM

I like the second option, but I only like it together with Choli's (or whoever's idea it was in the old thread) idea, so being able to choose if I vote 1 or 2 points... :happy:

RE: Rep. system: different "vote strength" based on rank? by WDZ on 09-12-2004 at 09:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mippo
I like the second option, but I only like it together with Choli's (or whoever's idea it was in the old thread) idea, so being able to choose if I vote 1 or 2 points... :happy:
I started coding in support for the "Choli suggestion" as soon as I woke up today. :banana:
RE: Rep. system: different "vote strength" based on rank? by RebelSean on 09-12-2004 at 09:31 PM

I guese this would be the thread to ask this...if not put this post were it should be cause i dunno were it should be at.....

"WDZ 04:28 PM Giving a Reputation"

That mean it is almost ready??

RE: Rep. system: different "vote strength" based on rank? by WDZ on 09-12-2004 at 09:45 PM

quote:
That mean it is almost ready??
It's been "almost ready" and usable for a few weeks... :p

I'm still testing and refining though, and there are still decisions to be made in these polls.
RE: Rep. system: different "vote strength" based on rank? by Menthix on 09-12-2004 at 09:52 PM

quote:
That'll probally mean he's testing it. Doesn't say anything about how ready it is.
RE: Rep. system: different "vote strength" based on rank? by WDZ on 09-12-2004 at 10:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
quote:
That'll probally mean he's testing it. Doesn't say anything about how ready it is.
Yeah, exactly. :p

It is almost done unless we decide that some big changes need to be made. I've got almost 350 lines of PHP in reputation.php, and I'm quite proud of it. :blah!:
RE: Rep. system: different "vote strength" based on rank? by Chrono on 09-12-2004 at 10:20 PM

2-1 idea + choli's idea = (Y)

RE: Rep. system: different "vote strength" based on rank? by saralk on 09-13-2004 at 07:31 PM

heres my thaughts,

I think letting >=elites have a more powerful vote is a good idea provided that they are told to act neutral and base votes on the quality of posts, not on personal grudges

however, i can see a lot of people would disagree because it all seems a bit "all animals (form members) are equal but some are more equal than others" if you know what i mean

RE: Rep. system: different "vote strength" based on rank? by BooGhost on 09-13-2004 at 11:47 PM

I'm not gonna read the whole thread.... :P too lazy :P

but i just want to give my opinion........

everyone's vote should have the same weigth or maybe staff 2 point...

but let Staff AND Elites have 2 point sounds like a perfect solution, BUT who decides who is Elite and who is just a Plain Member..... I just remember the day Patchou decided to assign Elite Members and then some ppl (Mostly Staff ppl i think) didn't agree..... the thing is choosing Elite is not easy..... and making Elite have "more power" will make more ppl wanna be Elite and harder to choose who deserves it and all that.....

So as a Elite-For-A-Day Member, I'd vote for option 3: "No, everyone should have equal voting power"

Edit: typos

RE: Rep. system: different "vote strength" based on rank? by bach_m on 09-13-2004 at 11:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BooGhost

but Elite and Staff 2 point sounds like a perfect solution, BUT who decides who is Elite..... I just remember the day Patchou decided to assign Elite and the some ppl didn't agree..... the thing is choosing Elite is not easy..... and making Elite have "more power" will make more ppl wanna be Elite and harder to choose and all that.....

So as a Elite-For-A-Day Member
* bach_m remembers that day.

The staff and elites have been selected as trusted members of the forum. As such, they have been given an increased responsibilty, and with that an increased privelage. Part of that should be an extra vote. they are, after all, elite.
quote:
Originally posted by goolge
     A small group of people with a disproportionate amount of public decision-making power.

so they should get that extra vote.

and there should be more elite members ;);)*nudge**nudge*