Shoutbox

a decision... - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: a decision... (/showthread.php?tid=31430)

a decision... by marissa on 09-13-2004 at 04:37 AM

Tonight i recieved a phone call ffrom my bestfriend, she got told from her big sister (not related, big sister big brother program here) that she was looking for some teenages to go down to Guatemala and help build a school for less fortunate people. I said yes at the time, because all i have to buy is a plane ticket down there so i can help some kids and meet some new people. My mom said it was fine, and i'd probably have to get a lot of immunisazion things but thats all fine...though, i was talking to my friend tonight (another) who lives in california and he said he had friends there that move up to california, his friends said to him that there were snakes that come up the toilets and dead rats and that its a very dirty place to be and that i could get really sick...so, id like to ask some of you for advice...Should i go and have a life changing event and help others and risk my health and be in a dirty place for two weeks? or...should i just not go and feel horrible for what  i could have done for those people?

marissa.

Edit: this'll all be happening in january...so thats why im asking now so i can get moolla for the trip if i decided to go

RE: a decision... by banky on 09-13-2004 at 04:39 AM

dont go marissa if u die :'( i dont know what ill do

lmfao j/k but i really dont think u should go if its as dirty as he says

RE: a decision... by lhunath on 09-13-2004 at 06:10 AM

I think you should, the fact that you wanted to go in the first place means you're really excited about helping out there. And after all, it'll only be for two weeks, that's nothing, imagine how those people need to live and survive there, I'm sure it can't be as bad as you fear. ;)
By the way, this is a huge opportunity, you'll carry it with you all your life, the memories to it, and the fact that you'll be helping people out there so much, that's worth alot more, than wanting to stay spotlessly clean for that time, and fearing not being it. =P
Go for it!

RE: a decision... by azn angel on 09-13-2004 at 08:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by The Don
dont go marissa if u die :'( i dont know what ill do

more like what will sean do?:P:P
nah in the end it is really your desicion
i was going to say something encouraging but i forgot:S
nah just make sure you get the right vacinations and u are not staying somewhere really dodgy and it should be ok. i mean there are bad sides to everything
RE: a decision... by Pipish on 09-13-2004 at 09:50 AM

hmm well its entirely up to you dont worry about getting sick tho cause the needles help that if you go take panadol with you or wateva it should be a awsome experience your becision will be the right one :)

RE: a decision... by Pyroteq on 09-13-2004 at 10:45 AM

I dont think you should be listening to us, just do what you feal. but if it was me, id go.

RE: a decision... by kangie on 09-13-2004 at 11:01 AM

tbh, they wouldnt send you down there if it wasnt safe :)

RE: a decision... by RebelSean on 09-13-2004 at 12:01 PM

I think you should go. If you realy want to go, then just go. Listen t your heart.

RE: a decision... by saralk on 09-13-2004 at 12:58 PM

Ive been to the conga in africa for 4 weeks, it was really rewarding and i got a bit ill but otherwise it was (Y)

RE: a decision... by Pr0xY on 09-13-2004 at 10:27 PM

I'd be all over that in a minute.  You should do it Marissa, you will be glad you did when you get back.  Trips like that really put life in a different view for you, and make you really appriecate what comes at you in life.  Don't worry about the dirt and sickness thing.  You should be required to get some shots to protect you from the average deseases over there that you are not used to.   

My answer is yes, do it, you will be happy you did. 

RE: a decision... by s7a5 on 09-13-2004 at 11:10 PM

not only snakes, i guess other creatures as well :P
but im not sure if they come out from the toilet pot cuz probably they find other ways to sneak in...
anyways gud luck with your trip
(a)

RE: a decision... by Vantage on 09-13-2004 at 11:25 PM

Marissa I really think you should go :|, I mean, I dont think your really putting your health, its would be the same as walking into a Dumpyard, bulding a home. There May be rats and snakes, but only in you provoke a snake it will attack, everyone knows that. Just Be Carefull and have as much fun as you can.

RE: a decision... by marissa on 09-14-2004 at 02:44 AM

haha yeah, i think i am gonna go...when im with lyndsey anything seems fun:S we'll prolly laugh at the rats and stufff. (she gets too scared easily) thanks for all your input guys :D

yay :grin:

RE: a decision... by Pipish on 09-15-2004 at 08:21 AM

i'm glad you have decided to go and help those poor kids good on you marissa :)

RE: a decision... by azn angel on 09-15-2004 at 10:34 AM

go marissa! take photos oh wait...is it safe to take valuble things like that? i mean in some countries ppl can get pretty desperate for money

RE: a decision... by user27089 on 09-15-2004 at 04:27 PM

go for it, everyone should be willing to help other people, if I had the chance I'd do it, I want to go to Lourdes south of france when i´m older... its life changing, and worth it, get your hands dirty.. í'm sure you'll be rewarded in one way...

RE: a decision... by saralk on 09-15-2004 at 08:07 PM

The dangers are way too overrated, everyone there is more then helpful, the only bit of danger i ever faced was when being asked questions by the government army about why im here.

The people there are more then hospitiable, and it was really fun too. Nothing got stolen, but i didnt bring a camera :(

If you go out one night, be careful, my friend's sister went to equador, and her drink was drugged with marijuana and she woke up in a jail with all her stuff taken from her.

RE: a decision... by .Roy on 09-15-2004 at 10:03 PM

^^Good hearted Marissa^^

RE: a decision... by Ginger on 09-16-2004 at 01:34 AM

Marissa you should definitely go, if ur havin any doubts about safety ive been there with my friend and its not that bad, i mean the rats and snakes are there but they dont bother you so jus go and make the best of it and it will be sumthin ull never forget

RE: a decision... by RebelSean on 09-16-2004 at 01:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by marissa
haha yeah, i think i am gonna go...when im with lyndsey anything seems fun:S we'll prolly laugh at the rats and stufff. (she gets too scared easily) thanks for all your input guys :D

yay :grin:

Ya have funn....I want pics! :p....I want to do something like this when the chance comes..: