Shoutbox

PC problem - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: PC problem (/showthread.php?tid=31464)

PC problem by lutonsteve2 on 09-13-2004 at 07:00 PM

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help me...I can't do things on my PC like buy products on the internet, or sign into my e-mail account. Also, my MSN messenger is down. Basically, any secure sites aren't letting me in, they are just coming up as a home page for my browser!

It happened to me last year and someone told me to type a certain code into "Run", and I did, and it worked instantly, and I could purchase things online etc etc, once again!
However, my PC was wiped out in the Winter, and so I no longer have that code, if anyone knows what the code is, or have any thing which could help in any way, please reply.

Thankyou very much!

Steve :)

RE: PC problem by WDZ on 09-13-2004 at 07:15 PM

I don't know what that code would be, but maybe this page will help...

http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/troub-10.html

RE: PC problem by lutonsteve2 on 09-13-2004 at 07:35 PM

Thanks mate but unfortunately part of the problem seems to be the Microsft Internet Explorer is not working properly, and it seems sometimes, I cannot get into the options for it. I rarely use Internet Explorer because I prefer to use the media browser on RealOne!
Hopefully it will be back and accessible soon, and I'll try some of the things that link website said to do whilst on the Internet Options!
Thanks for the link mate, and if you have got any other wise words, I'd love to hear them. Thanks again.

:) :) Steve :):)

RE: PC problem by bach_m on 09-13-2004 at 07:44 PM

There are better browsers than the RealOne Media Browser. You might considder getting Mozilla Firefox or Opera. Both are excellent alternatives to Internet Explorer, although the free version of Opera is Ad supported. Firefox is completely free :)

RE: PC problem by lutonsteve2 on 09-14-2004 at 02:38 PM

Cheers, I will add the firefox, as soon as this problem is sorted! I don't suppose you have any ideas do you bach_m ?
Thankyou.

For Attention Of WDZ by lutonsteve2 on 09-14-2004 at 03:06 PM

Hi mate, I used the link you sent me, by going into control panel, and getting to internet options that way. However, I used all the informtation on that, and secure sites will STILL not be opned on the internet via my RealOne browser.
Is it to do with not using Internet Explorer or what? Any ideas about any of it, at all?
Thank you for your help so far mate. Cheers!

RE: PC problem by Vilkku on 09-14-2004 at 03:22 PM

I would guess that. But one advice...

Skip RM. Ditch IE. Get a real browser and take back the web -> www.getfirefox.com

RE: PC problem by lutonsteve2 on 09-14-2004 at 03:30 PM

Oh right, well, I have just downloaded Mozilla Firefox, and now, suddenly, my hotmail e-mail messages are accessible. However, MSN Messenger is still unavailable to me. Can you help?
Thankyou!

RE: PC problem by BEWARE^^ on 09-14-2004 at 03:42 PM

did you get an update of msn messenger

RE: PC problem by Vilkku on 09-14-2004 at 03:50 PM

I think I might know the reason, and I know the solution includes re-reggring some DLL's... Someone who know what I mean should post instructions.

RE: PC problem by CookieRevised on 09-14-2004 at 04:23 PM

Dispite the fact that you don't use Microsoft Internet Explorer anymore. It still is a part of Windows (and always will be). This means that it also still handles things like internet options / validation for security sites for MS products / etc... And it also handles the connections for programs like MSN Messenger...

So, first make sure you have the latest Microsoft Internet Explorer (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?F...-b02b-20b602228de6
and http://www.windowsupdate.com/)...

And then check out this:
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=20295
Especially note "8 (extra note)"...

RE: FAO CookieRevised by lutonsteve2 on 09-15-2004 at 05:33 PM

Yeh, cheers, the code on "8 extra note" seems to have cracked it! :D I knew it was just that little code that I needed! I can't thank you enough mate........thankyou SO SO SO much man!
Just one other thing, my MSN Messenger isn't coming up as online yet, it just keeps going and going, it doesn't say "retry" or anything, ot just keeps saying "signing in" and with the little man going round. Any ideas about how to stop this and get it to sign in?
Thankyou SO SO SO much again! :D

RE: PC problem by CookieRevised on 09-15-2004 at 08:04 PM

Either the server is too busy or something...

Or your settings still aren't ok. If all else fails, try to work your way down the list in that thread. Doing every point one by one, and reboot after each try. (much work, but it may solve the problem)

But fist, let it timeout; eventualy msn messenger will timeout in trying to connect and will come up with an errormessage. Post that complete and exact errormessage... Also, normaly, after the error, you should be able to enter the troubleshooter, click it and follow its instructions...

RE: PC problem by lutonsteve2 on 09-16-2004 at 02:28 PM

Cheers, working now! As is EVERYTHING, and all thanks to you mate! Cheers so much, can't thank you enough. If I could, i would send you something to say thanks.
Thankyou so much!
super_steve1234@hotmail.com add me, if you want to chat!

Steve :D

RE: PC problem by CookieRevised on 09-17-2004 at 04:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lutonsteve2
If I could, i would send you something to say thanks.
Send something to Patchou... like a postcard, see: http://www.msgplus.net/postcard.php ;)

quote:
Originally posted by lutonsteve2
add me, if you want to chat!
I'm not much of a chatter :D and my list is full anyways, so, sorry...

RE: PC problem by lutonsteve2 on 09-17-2004 at 04:23 PM

Okay, super_steve1234@hotmail.com, please add me though!
Cheers a lot again, mate!

Steve