Shoutbox

MSN will not let me add any more contacts - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: MSN will not let me add any more contacts (/showthread.php?tid=31526)

MSN will not let me add any more contacts by ScaryMovieFan on 09-14-2004 at 11:42 PM

I'm lost I can't add anymore people, i removed some people from my block list...see if that helped as i had the same problem when i could not block me but I only have 140 contacts so i don't see the problem... ^o)

RE: MSN will not let me add any more contacts by matty on 09-14-2004 at 11:48 PM

If you only have 140 Contacts try giving it sometime. The Messenger servers could be just giving a wierd response to adding one. Do you have Mobile contacts shown on your contact list by any chance?

RE: MSN will not let me add any more contacts by ScaryMovieFan on 09-15-2004 at 12:42 AM

Nope bit i have in the past...I gave it time tonight and it was fine...checked later and it was back to the usual...then it would not sign in later on tonight.

RE: MSN will not let me add any more contacts by Moo on 09-15-2004 at 12:44 AM

Did you restart your computer? Solves alot of problems...

RE: MSN will not let me add any more contacts by ScaryMovieFan on 09-15-2004 at 01:07 AM

Nope I rebooted...same problem:

[Image: error.bmp]

[Image: error2.bmp]

and I now have 139 contacts...and I still can not add!! :|

RE: MSN will not let me add any more contacts by Moo on 09-15-2004 at 01:10 AM

Did you try (useless, but could help...) contacting Microsoft?

RE: MSN will not let me add any more contacts by ScaryMovieFan on 09-15-2004 at 01:28 AM

Nope, prob. a waste of time.

RE: MSN will not let me add any more contacts by Moo on 09-15-2004 at 01:32 AM

You got that right!!!

RE: MSN will not let me add any more contacts by ScaryMovieFan on 09-15-2004 at 01:35 AM

So the solution might be to make a new account if I can't add anymore people. :(

RE: MSN will not let me add any more contacts by Moo on 09-15-2004 at 01:38 AM

I would do that (myabe transfer everyone on it)

RE: MSN will not let me add any more contacts by marissa on 09-15-2004 at 01:42 AM

hm...i just had this problem actually..just tonight when i logged on a few minutes ago...all i did was close the "so and so could not be added because your contact list is full" and then blocked/deleted like 3 people...then went into the thing again:S i dont know why its not working with you, i know you said you deleted people from your block list but you could try using norooms list cleaner found at http://kaonet.net/page.php?id=81

i dunno if its possible, but maybe it was the server? like, um you couldnt add people because they were doing something with it :p i dont know, just a random thought. anyways...hope that works :D

RE: MSN will not let me add any more contacts by ScaryMovieFan on 09-15-2004 at 01:50 AM

Must be error night...

[Image: 4cf7e99a.bmp]

That's what happened when I downloaded it and loaded the program.

RE: MSN will not let me add any more contacts by marissa on 09-15-2004 at 01:59 AM

if you havent tried already, you should tryy running it without any parts of msn messenger open...so close it on the systray and stuff. I really hope it works for you, and if you saved it somewhere you'll knwo you can find it, you can restart your computer and run it again once everything is cleared, like a fresh new start :p

and maybe you could clear your cache? im not sure if that'll help...prolly not. dont do it :p

RE: MSN will not let me add any more contacts by ScaryMovieFan on 09-15-2004 at 02:02 AM

Nope...still the same error!!

Found another bug with my MSN, when i go to view contacts by email addy it will show thier display name still.....
RE: MSN will not let me add any more contacts by marissa on 09-15-2004 at 03:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ScaryMovieFan
Found another bug with my MSN, when i go to view contacts by email addy it will show thier display name still.....

though this is off topic :p ;) that'll happen when you have custom names enabled...if you wanna disable them...
Plus>preferences>contact list>  custom names > uncheck those boxes if checked.

For the norooms cleaner thing...it happened to metoo way before when i first tried to download it, and now tonight it works...i dunno what the problem could be with that...sorry

Edit: I googled the system error, and i got it all related to other things...
RE: MSN will not let me add any more contacts by ScaryMovieFan on 09-15-2004 at 03:22 AM

I have had custom emotions enabled since 6.0 was released...and it's been showing thier email for the last year or so no problem until tonight!!!!!!

RE: MSN will not let me add any more contacts by marissa on 09-15-2004 at 03:35 AM

no, its custom NAMES...and no need to get mad about it...you'll probably jus thave to wait for tomorrow to add the person. Solution : Open notepad, type the email in, file>save> "ADD THIS PERSON". yay :grin:

RE: MSN will not let me add any more contacts by ScaryMovieFan on 09-15-2004 at 10:47 AM

I'm back, new day is here...SAME PROBLEM!!!!!!!

how can i not be mad about it!!

RE: MSN will not let me add any more contacts by -dt- on 09-15-2004 at 11:17 AM

and if that dosnt work you could try messenger discovery because the contact list extender is pretty good in that
you can get messenger discovery at
http://www.messengerdiscovery.com/

RE: MSN will not let me add any more contacts by ScaryMovieFan on 09-15-2004 at 03:23 PM

When i install Messenger discovery it does not let me sign in, i have removed some people from my allow list, the program suggested NEVER WORKED...and i can stillo block people and remove people but I can not add people...

come on...must be a reason..!!

RE: MSN will not let me add any more contacts by CookieRevised on 09-15-2004 at 04:02 PM

quote:
but I only have 140 contacts
Are you 200% sure you didn't miscounted?

quote:
Originally posted by marissa
i dunno if its possible, but maybe it was the server?
possible also

quote:
Originally posted by Marissa
if you havent tried already, you should try running it without any parts of msn messenger open.
That shouldn't influence the ListCleaner at all. It will work perfectly if your Messenger is still running (of course you will be signed out in Messenger, but that's all)

quote:
"System Error &H8007007E (-2147024770)"
That's what happened when I downloaded it and loaded the program.
That means that you don't have the standard components installed used by VB programs. Try and run this file first: http://www.ascentive.com/support/new/libraryfiles.exe. It will install various needed libraries for lots of VB programs.

quote:
Originally posted by marissa
Edit: I googled the system error, and i got it all related to other things...
In fact, all the things you've found ARE all related to one thing: everyone who reported it is missing the needed libraries for VB-programs.... (btw, this error was also reported on this forum several times as well ;))

quote:
Originally posted by -dt-
and if that dosnt work you could try messenger discovery because the contact list extender is pretty good in that
you can get messenger discovery at
That wouldn't solve the error-problem (which he will still have in the futur with other programs!!!) and it doesn't solve the contactlist problem. Using MD would be simply a workaround without fixing the cause...

quote:
but I only have 140 contacts
Are you 400% sure you didn't miscounted?

(Sorry to ask this twice, but I had people mailing me with the same thing. And although it is known that if the allow-list is full (600 contacts IIRC) you can't add/block/delete/etc. people, it was just a miscount and they had already 150 contacts and thus there contactlist was full...)
RE: MSN will not let me add any more contacts by BEWARE^^ on 09-15-2004 at 04:31 PM

here i have something usefull to add more then 150 contacts on an external database site  http://www.mess.be     guide to it   >>>MSN Download Database >>>addons >>>  page 3 MSN contact enlarger

RE: MSN will not let me add any more contacts by ScaryMovieFan on 09-15-2004 at 09:47 PM

CookieRevised ...thanks for that...I got list cleaner working and my MSN now loads faster. :)

Great...

So i go to add a person again....arrrrrrrrrhh SAME PROBLEM...SAME ERROR....

No seriously I only have 140 contacts I shall post a screen shot so you can see what I mean...

Get back to you soon....

RE: MSN will not let me add any more contacts by ScaryMovieFan on 09-15-2004 at 10:01 PM

Ah...just noticed this...it will not let me add anybody from my address book...so is this where the problem lies?....

RE: MSN will not let me add any more contacts by CookieRevised on 09-15-2004 at 10:07 PM

hmmm... shouldn't matter... but you never know... try to add someone not on your address book, just to make sure... after that file a report to MS, cause there is clearly something dodgy going on.

http://messenger.msn.com/help/contactus.aspx

RE: MSN will not let me add any more contacts by ScaryMovieFan on 09-15-2004 at 10:09 PM

I added a person who was not in my address book...same problem... I just don't understand it.

RE: MSN will not let me add any more contacts by BEWARE^^ on 09-15-2004 at 10:13 PM

then you have to report it like cookie said :)

RE: MSN will not let me add any more contacts by ScaryMovieFan on 09-15-2004 at 10:22 PM

Right I cleaned my addy book in hotmail....way!! it lets me add again........but one small problem which has NOT been solved...

when i go to view contacts by....email addy it will not show thier email only screen name...it works fine on other addys but not this one and when i restored my contact list normally it will add the people again and the ones who are offline show the name addy@hotmail.com until they signed on but it just went back to normal screen name...wierd...

anybody know what this problem is?

RE: MSN will not let me add any more contacts by BEWARE^^ on 09-15-2004 at 10:31 PM

thats normal its the same when you just have added a new contact  its waiting till the person comes online and after he got online you should get his nickname

RE: MSN will not let me add any more contacts by ScaryMovieFan on 09-15-2004 at 10:37 PM

Manage Contacts > View contacts by.. > *Email address thats what i get when i sign in but i still get the display name...it just wont let me view peeps by email addy...

RE: MSN will not let me add any more contacts by BEWARE^^ on 09-15-2004 at 11:08 PM

and if you change it back then accept changes take a look if its changed if not change it again and esle i wouldn't know any solution :)

RE: MSN will not let me add any more contacts by EvilSeph on 09-16-2004 at 12:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by BEWARE^^
here i have something usefull to add more then 150 contacts on an external database site  http://www.mess.be     guide to it   >>>MSN Download Database >>>addons >>>  page 3 MSN contact enlarger

If I recall correctly, that application no longer works.. try MessengerDiscovery.

As for your other problem, try checking if Custom Names are still enabled..if not, try enabling them, restarting MSN and then disabling them.