Shoutbox

Workarrownd for the Ad's Problem - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Workarrownd for the Ad's Problem (/showthread.php?tid=31561)

Workarrownd for the Ad's Problem by maqui on 09-15-2004 at 03:41 PM

Waiting for the Ad's bug fix of the 3.20, i ve found a workarrownd for it, you only have to add the following entry on the hosts file ( C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC\HOSTS )

rad.msn.com           127.0.0.1

And Voila!

Good luck!

RE: Workarrownd for the Ad's Problem by Mnjul on 09-15-2004 at 03:59 PM

And from now on, watch out, every TCP/IP request to rad.msn.com will be redirected to your localhost. And so I suggest that those who want to change it should change back after installing new Plus! version. Could be a very temporary solution anyway... :)

RE: Workarrownd for the Ad's Problem by Millenium_edition on 09-15-2004 at 04:00 PM

rad.msn.com is just an ad server, so who cares? :huh:

RE: Workarrownd for the Ad's Problem by Sunshine on 09-15-2004 at 04:04 PM

There's a patch for it too but we were adviced not to advice that anymore by Patchou himself.

RE: Workarrownd for the Ad's Problem by Mnjul on 09-15-2004 at 04:07 PM

I think you all shall just wait longer, all in all it's gonna be released in less than five days :)

RE: Workarrownd for the Ad's Problem by maqui on 09-15-2004 at 04:43 PM

I recomend using it everytime even with the 3.20 version.
this workarrownd makes that the computer dont spend time looking for the banner.

I hope you found a usefull hint with this thred.

You can even use this for other ad servers so you will have a faster downoad of your webpages, without those bogus ads.

Some information lik for you:

http://accs-net.com/hosts/what_is_hosts.html

RE: Workarrownd for the Ad's Problem by Anubis on 09-17-2004 at 04:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by maqui
I recomend using it everytime even with the 3.20 version.
Since you've never even had experience with 3.2 please refrain from speaking like you actually have an authority, also posting more than once in a row is against the forum rules, please edit your previous post instead...
RE: Workarrownd for the Ad's Problem by lopardo on 09-17-2004 at 04:48 PM

It doesn't matter, Plus 3.20 and Messenger will work the same if you edit your hosts file, exactly as maqui said, your computer won't spend time looking for the banner.

RE: RE: Workarrownd for the Ad's Problem by archerdapunk on 09-19-2004 at 11:46 PM

maqui is right.. you can use your hosts file for blocking ads from many ad/popup servers.. Anubis he was only trying to help.. like you ahve more authority to tell him what not to do..

RE: Workarrownd for the Ad's Problem by lopardo on 09-20-2004 at 01:06 AM

BTW, now that Plus 3.20 has been released, there should be no more problems with Messenger's ads :)