Shoutbox

Is this legal? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Is this legal? (/showthread.php?tid=31593)

Is this legal? by Jhrono on 09-16-2004 at 11:30 AM

Well i was watching tv and i noticed this...

Do you know a company named "Tele 2"..i think it as begun to spread all over europe....now here's the point...

In their comercial they say things like...
-In PT(the other phone company) as prices 20 % over ours(f example)...why won't you change to tele 2?..

I mean this things ain't legal are they?

RE: Is this legal? by Pyroteq on 09-16-2004 at 11:42 AM

If its a proven fact by a third party survey then its legal, Here it is anyway.

RE: Is this legal? by :No-Frost: on 09-16-2004 at 01:50 PM

Some times companies has divisions...Like in my country:

In chile The market Chain "LIDER" has an agreement to use the name of the market "JUMBO" on their sales...

Obviously, they put a list with prices more cheaper than the other one...

Usually this would be ilegal, but they had the agremment so... it's legal to use the name of the other on they offerts...

Sorry if my english is to weird... But I'm from latin america and my english is not very good... Spanish is my language ^^

RE: Is this legal? by ayjay on 09-16-2004 at 03:16 PM

It is legal to say it but only if it is true, or so I believe.

RE: Is this legal? by Patchou on 09-16-2004 at 06:55 PM

It's different from country to coutnry... inthe US, you always see ads like that, and they're often the best ones (especially ads from Pepsi attacking Coke :))

RE: RE: Is this legal? by Vantage on 09-16-2004 at 06:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
It's different from country to coutnry... inthe US, you always see ads like that, and they're often the best ones (especially ads from Pepsi attacking Coke :))

Jimmy Hendrix Drinks Coke Everyone..I doubt he would ever touch a pepsi! that commercials so not true!! :( :cry:
RE: Is this legal? by .Roy on 09-16-2004 at 07:46 PM

lol i used to live in the Usa but then i moved..

In usa all the commercials are competitives and say cheaper then the other brand blah blah...

Espiecelly with internet... Bunch of companys post advertisments proving that they are cheaper then the other people.. lol

Really wierd

RE: Is this legal? by saralk on 09-16-2004 at 07:52 PM

the Tele 2 adverts are legal, since what they are saying is true, it would be illegal for them to say

"raaaar, we totaly own PT, they can bow down and kiss the ring"

RE: Is this legal? by ayjay on 09-16-2004 at 08:07 PM

lol, what a great way of putting it.

RE: Is this legal? by Weyzza on 09-16-2004 at 08:50 PM

quote:
I like DHL vs. FedEx+UPS one :p
RE: Is this legal? by Chestah on 09-16-2004 at 08:55 PM

lol In Australia you don't see many of those ads... at all, i can't remember seeing one!! Im not sure if its illegal or legal tho!!
lots of ads over here go we are 20% cheaper then the competition or other providers, they don't state the name
Chestah

RE: Is this legal? by Shadow D on 09-16-2004 at 09:16 PM

Here in DK (Europe if some of you don't know...), Tele 2 does that a lot now. They didn't before, I think they've been around for just about over 7 years now, and they're large campaigns have first begun now.

RE: Is this legal? by .Roy on 09-16-2004 at 09:48 PM

lol.. i cant believe it.. Live in Usa for an year and watch TV... Not only do they state the name.. but they also put crosses on it lol.. to show prices..

Like for example..

RE: Is this legal? by dotNorma on 09-16-2004 at 10:43 PM

quote:

Ohh yah , In the United States of America they use that tactic alot. Every commertial for Car Insurrance , Cell Phone Companies , Practicly any company with a monthly or anual fee has will use that tactic.
RE: Is this legal? by Fraisie on 09-17-2004 at 03:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by thekid
quote:
I like DHL vs. FedEx+UPS one :p

(Y)

(And Vantage, Hendrix was a rebel... im really sure he'd prefer a pepsi over a coke)

RE: Is this legal? by coolvi on 09-19-2004 at 03:21 PM

well, by nature, it should be legal under free market economy for one company to make direct or indirect reference to competition's offer (based on facts of truths) in their advertisements in order to create a comparison for the purpose of gaining more market ground.

actually, some commercials done by a cellular provider here in Canada came to me immediately. in the end of each, they always emphasize that their offers are exclusive by saying "...regretably, only from Fido." so without mentioning any names, they manage to create the effect of comparison against all competitions. they've been running that line for a while now, so you get the idea... ;)

RE: Is this legal? by Choli on 09-19-2004 at 06:02 PM

I don't know about laws, but IMO it's legal as long as all what is said is true.

In Spain, i've seen only one or two ads like that.

RE: Is this legal? by ayjay on 09-19-2004 at 06:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DangerXone
lol.. i cant believe it.. Live in Usa for an year and watch TV... Not only do they state the name.. but they also put crosses on it lol.. to show prices..

Like for example..

For example what?

RE: Is this legal? by paperless on 09-22-2004 at 02:57 PM

Ive saw that ad also as johny lives in the same country as me.
I dont think its ilegal.
We are talking about companies fight i can tell you that if one company offers a product at a price below the cost just to have moe clients than the other that is ilegal i think.