Shoutbox

Flash animation on website - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: Flash animation on website (/showthread.php?tid=31703)

Flash animation on website by Salem on 09-19-2004 at 08:45 AM

I have recently upgraded my PC to Windows XP Sp2, after doing a clean install of Windows XP SP1 Home Edition. However, now i cannot view the flash animation on MsgPlus.net. I get told that i need to install Macromedia Flash 7, i have gone to the provided link, and the Macromedia site tells me that the Flash 7 install is complete. Then i come bck here to the website, but i still cant view te animation.

Any idea's how to correct this?

RileyM

RE: Flash animation on website by lopardo on 09-19-2004 at 09:01 AM

Try with other websites, does it happen only with msgplus.net? What browser are you using? I use Mozilla Firefox and recently msgplus.net website tells me I don't have Flash installed (but I do, and it works fine with other websites... :dodgy:).

RE: Flash animation on website by WDZ on 09-20-2004 at 03:37 AM

I noticed the same issue the other day with SP2.

The flash on http://www.msgplus.net/ does not work in IE.

The flash on http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/welcome/ does work in IE.

RE: Flash animation on website by lopardo on 09-20-2004 at 03:42 AM

I guess it's some problem with the website, I still haven't installed the SP2.

Right now:
IE: Flash works OK everywhere.
Mozilla Firefox: Flash does not work in http://www.msgplus.net/, no problems with the rest of the net.

So, somebody played with msgplus.net's flash detection script? :)

RE: Flash animation on website by WDZ on 09-20-2004 at 03:52 AM

The flash on msgplus.net works fine in Opera for me... :dodgy:

RE: Flash animation on website by RaceProUK on 09-20-2004 at 08:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lopardo
I'm not sure it's a script that detects it. If the anim is embedded using <object>, doesn't that have a clsid attribute or something? This is what tells the browser what to use to interpret the object.
RE: Flash animation on website by user13774 on 09-20-2004 at 02:16 PM

Works fine with my XP Prof SP2.... both the msgplus.net and the macromedia thingy

RE: Flash animation on website by ZrednaZ on 09-20-2004 at 02:55 PM

Msgplus.net works fine for me using Firefox... :)

RE: Flash animation on website by lopardo on 09-20-2004 at 06:51 PM

This is really weird :undecided: Why the hell does it happen to me in Firefox and to WDZ in IE??

This is what I get in Firefox (just a static image, no flash at all):
[Image: attachment.php?pid=310365]

RE: Flash animation on website by Millenium_edition on 09-20-2004 at 06:55 PM

quote:
This is really weird :undecided: Why the hell does it happen to me in Firefox and to WDZ in IE??

This is what I get in Firefox (just a static image, no flash at all):
[Image: attachment.php?pid=310365]
are you sure you got flash player installed? 0.9.x to 0.10 upgrade could  have destroyed that.
RE: Flash animation on website by lopardo on 09-20-2004 at 07:09 PM

I'm still using 0.9.3, I haven't had time to install the new version (so I haven't changed anything since this started to happen). As I said before, it works fine with other websites, so the Flash player is fine.

RE: Flash animation on website by Millenium_edition on 09-20-2004 at 07:19 PM

* Millenium_edition has that too :o

it shows the same innhere too :(

RE: Flash animation on website by wj on 09-20-2004 at 07:44 PM

Wheres Guido! He should know whats up with it. I'm guessing it has to do with Active X and SP2.

RE: Flash animation on website by lopardo on 09-20-2004 at 07:49 PM

quote:
I guess it's some problem with the website, I still haven't installed the SP2.

Right now:
IE: Flash works OK everywhere.
Mozilla Firefox: Flash does not work in http://www.msgplus.net/, no problems with the rest of the net.

So, no, it's not the SP2.
RE: Flash animation on website by Salem on 09-20-2004 at 08:08 PM

I hav this problem only on MsgPlus.net since i upgraded to from Windows XP Home Edition SP1 to Windows XP SP2. I'm not sure if the Home Edition is still relevent after SP2 upgrade as im not getting Home Edition written under the Windows XP start-up screen.

As said all other sites work fine. I went to Macromedia.com more than five times to install latest version of the flash player. But it doesn't help.

Anyone know who does the MsgPlus.net site who we can ask about this?

RileyM

Edit: I'm using Internet Explorer

RE: Flash animation on website by lopardo on 09-20-2004 at 08:14 PM

Once again, the installation of Windows XP Service Pack 2 doesn't affect this (maybe just a coincidence), the proof is that I still haven't installed it and it fails the same, in my case, only when browsing with Mozilla Firefox.

RE: Flash animation on website by linx05 on 10-23-2004 at 11:18 AM

I would really love to get this fixed. I have the same problem. I am using Maxthon (uses the IE engine) and the flash does not appear. Yet when I visit other sites, flash works perfectly. But here is the wierd thing, when I surf this website with firefox, flash works. Work that out?

I am using XP Pro sp1

RE: Flash animation on website by Salem on 10-24-2004 at 09:34 AM

Yeh im have the same problem. As said in my post on 20 Sep '04, i was using IE6 on Windows XP SP2, and recently decided to try Mozille Firefox. Flash on MsgPlus.net works fine when i use Firefox but i soon as i use IE it doesn't. I'll try checking if my other PC (Windows Me) has the same problem on this site.

RileyM

RE: Flash animation on website by lopardo on 10-24-2004 at 06:08 PM

Download the latest Flash player version from http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/down...ion=ShockwaveFlash

RE: Flash animation on website by linx05 on 10-26-2004 at 02:13 AM

I went to the link lopardo and looks like I already had the latest version. The flash on msgplus.net is still not showing in IE.

RE: Flash animation on website by Concord Dawn on 10-26-2004 at 02:18 AM

Hmm....Firefox and IE both work for me. Maybe it's something to do with your browser configuration? That would explain quite a bit.

RE: Flash animation on website by linx05 on 10-26-2004 at 02:33 AM

Like what? I'm really confused as to what it could be.

RE: Flash animation on website by Concord Dawn on 10-26-2004 at 02:34 AM

Disabling third-party plugins?

RE: Flash animation on website by linx05 on 10-26-2004 at 02:41 AM

I haven't got any installed that would do anything to flash. I've disabled all my popup/ad clearing programs and the same thing happens.

RE: Flash animation on website by Concord Dawn on 10-26-2004 at 02:45 AM

Hmmm......msgplus.net flash is fine, so it has to be something on your end. Have you disabled turned down your internet security settings?

RE: Flash animation on website by linx05 on 10-26-2004 at 02:52 AM

Still doesn't work. I've tried clearing my cache and hitting refresh. I've tried undoing all my Spyware Blaster and Spybot settings (you'd understand if you had that program).

RE: Flash animation on website by .Roy on 11-03-2004 at 08:29 AM

what plugins do you have for firefox?

RE: Flash animation on website by fluffy_lobster on 11-03-2004 at 04:25 PM

Er guys i think you've all missed it ;)

msgplus.net uses a javascript-based flash sniffer.  If javascript is disabled, the <noscript> content comes into play, and in this case it's the same content as if the sniffer found that flash wasn't installed.

RE: Flash animation on website by Guido on 11-03-2004 at 09:25 PM

Why the hell no one told me about this? :P

Sorry for being so late

quote:
Originally posted by fluffy_lobster
Er guys i think you've all missed it ;)

msgplus.net uses a javascript-based flash sniffer.  If javascript is disabled, the <noscript> content comes into play, and in this case it's the same content as if the sniffer found that flash wasn't installed.
Exactly :)

What's most likely happening in these cases is that either Javascript is disabled or SP2 (or something else, in Lopardo's case) is blocking that javascript code which detects Flash.

I never ran into this problem, not even when installing SP2... don't you remember if you discarded some "infobar" message that allowed you to disable the javascript blocking for this page?

Anyway, thank you all for reporting it... do you still have this problem? If you have a firewall (other than Windows Firewall) can you try disabling it, etc.?
RE: Flash animation on website by lopardo on 11-06-2004 at 12:49 AM

Guido, nothing was blocking the Javascript or Flash in my case, I don't know why it suddenly stopped working (I haven't had changed anything), I fixed it reinstalling the Flash player for Firefox... :dodgy:

RE: Flash animation on website by Guido on 11-07-2004 at 08:05 PM

quote:
Guido, nothing was blocking the Javascript or Flash in my case, I don't know why it suddenly stopped working (I haven't had changed anything), I fixed it reinstalling the Flash player for Firefox... :dodgy:
Then in your case it was simply a problem of having Flash Player 6 which most sites accept, unlike Msgplus.net which requires Flash Player 7.

I'm interested in the SP2 problem, though. Can those who have this problem view the flash content at Macromedia.com without problems? (I've googled and it seems this kind of the detection is quite popular and a few sites have this problem)