Shoutbox

Suggestion: Improved notification with program launch - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Suggestion: Improved notification with program launch (/showthread.php?tid=31708)

Suggestion: Improved notification with program launch by thrillpillz on 09-19-2004 at 10:30 AM

Wouldnt it just be awesome if it was possible to launch an executable as well (OR instead of) the notification sound?

This would enable a lot of us to write small macros, compile them and use them in different ways!

RE: Suggestion: Improved notification with program launch by Choli on 09-19-2004 at 12:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by thrillpillz
Wouldnt it just be awesome if it was possible to launch an executable as well (OR instead of) the notification sound?
If you use the sProgram parameter of the DisplayToast function, when the user clicks the toast a program will be executed.

If you want to execute the program even if the user doesn't click the toast, just execute it when you call the DisplayToast function. You can do that using the ShellExecuteEx API of Windows, or if you are in VB you can also use the Shell function.
RE: Suggestion: Improved notification with program launch by thrillpillz on 09-19-2004 at 01:20 PM

umm

i have no idea what all that means! does it have something to do with writing my own plugin??? cos i dont know how to!

RE: Suggestion: Improved notification with program launch by CookieRevised on 09-19-2004 at 01:23 PM

So... I think you meant to make a suggestion for Plus! itself?
That's were the confussion was I suppose, you posted in the plugins section ;)

Anyways, is that what you mean/want:
When the normal Plus! toast is shown (when someone changes his nick for example), instead of only playing a sound, also be able to launch an application?

RE: Suggestion: Improved notification with program launch by thrillpillz on 09-19-2004 at 01:39 PM

yup! and also when a person signs in/signs out - you could execute a program..

it could you useful for many little things, like starting/shutting down a server on the computer based on who logs in etc -

RE: Suggestion: Improved notification with program launch by Choli on 09-19-2004 at 02:59 PM

Ah! ok, i get you now;) Well, that isn't possible currently (and it still won't be in 3.20) however it may be a good idea.

RE: Suggestion: Improved notification with program launch by thrillpillz on 09-19-2004 at 04:23 PM

cool

how difficult would it be to code a plugin that does the above?

RE: Suggestion: Improved notification with program launch by BEWARE^^ on 09-19-2004 at 05:25 PM

well your atleast 5 or 6 weeks even longer busy to make it :)

RE: Suggestion: Improved notification with program launch by Millenium_edition on 09-19-2004 at 05:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BEWARE^^
well your atleast 5 or 6 weeks even longer busy to make it
2 days if you want to make it when clicking popups. 2 hours if you want to do it just when someone signs off.