Shoutbox

eliminated languages - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Translation (/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+----- Thread: eliminated languages (/showthread.php?tid=31732)

eliminated languages by Eskorpio on 09-19-2004 at 11:53 PM

Why galego does not appear in the new version of the msgplus?

RE: eliminated languages by Chrono on 09-19-2004 at 11:55 PM

cause it wasnt used by enough people... removed languages will be available in a separate package :)

RE: eliminated languages by Eskorpio on 09-20-2004 at 01:45 PM

Sincerely I do not understand that policy, each file of language
occupies few kb, the minorities always are the harmed ones :(

RE: eliminated languages by CookieRevised on 09-20-2004 at 01:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Eskorpio
each file of language
occupies few kb,
zipped it would be around 30Kb per language, unzipped (installed) it is 110Kb at average per language!

quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
removed languages will be available in a separate package
so, it's not like they are gone forever, you can still download your language on www.msgplus.net....

although I can't find where... I suppose it still has to be added to the site, but you will be able to download and add them...
RE: eliminated languages by Anio_pke on 09-20-2004 at 02:07 PM

Where is the section when appers the others translations??

becouse i don't find it.

xD

RE: eliminated languages by CookieRevised on 09-20-2004 at 02:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
although I can't find where... I suppose it still has to be added to the site, but you will be able to download and add them...

RE: eliminated languages by Anio_pke on 09-20-2004 at 07:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Eskorpio
Why galego does not appear in the new version of the msgplus?

de todas formas podes descargalo dende a miņa web, xa que como son o traductor dispoņo do arquivo.
xDD
Galaico Traduccions
RE: eliminated languages by lopardo on 09-20-2004 at 07:26 PM

I don't agree with removing those languages. Even though they are not the most used ones, they don't make the installer much bigger (as Cookie explained) and once you got Plus installed I don't think it's too big neither. But it's up to Patchou, so I'll shut up :)

RE: eliminated languages by Choli on 09-20-2004 at 09:40 PM

quote:
zipped it would be around 30Kb per language, unzipped (installed) it is 110Kb at average per language!
zipped is 10 or 12 Kb only or even less (it's a 64 Kb (aprox) file (it's in ansi))
quote:
Originally posted by lopardo
I don't agree with removing those languages. Even though they are not the most used ones, they don't make the installer much bigger (as Cookie explained) and once you got Plus installed I don't think it's too big neither. But it's up to Patchou, so I'll shut up :)
I think i have to agree
Those languages are only a few Kb. However there may be other reasons... I dunno-...
RE: eliminated languages by Chrono on 09-20-2004 at 11:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Choli
Those languages are only a few Kb. However there may be other reasons... I dunno
prolly cause the installer is getting bigger and bigger? :undecided:
RE: eliminated languages by Patchou on 09-20-2004 at 11:25 PM

Well, each Kb counts and I gained 102Kb in the latest release by removing a few languages. They got removed because they were really not used much at all. None of the were used by more than 1,000 people, some of them were used by only 200 or 300... over 6 million users, that can almost count for a statistic anomaly. I'm sorry about that but I'm not the one who controls who uses what language.

RE: eliminated languages by CookieRevised on 09-21-2004 at 12:03 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Choli
quote:
zipped is 10 or 12 Kb only or even less (it's a 64 Kb (aprox) file (it's in ansi))
right, I forgot that some files are originally ANSI's... but installed they are all unicode (even the original ansi ones!), thus resulting in 110Kb on average per file, yet I always select "save as ansi" in the setup........ Patchou?...

RE: eliminated languages by Patchou on 09-21-2004 at 01:16 AM

"save as ansi" has nothing to do with the formatof the language files instal;led on your computer :). Here is how itworks: files that can bedistributed in ANSI are packaged in ANSI in the setup to gain some space. Then, at install time, all files are converted to Unicode when installed inWindows /XP or converted to ANSI/MBCS when installed on Windows 98/Me.

I eemoved 4 ansi files and 1 unicode one which gives 102Kb once zip in the setup.

RE: eliminated languages by Eskorpio on 09-22-2004 at 11:25 PM

I believe that a few people are but important that 102 kb :(

RE: eliminated languages by jpg050 on 09-23-2004 at 10:01 PM

Just a thought, Patchou... what do you think about putting an option in the installer that makes it to automatically download and install the extra languages, if wanted ? Like, er... StuffPlug? does...

OFF-TOPIC, I'm an engineer !! :D Showed off my end-of-career project today :)

RE: RE: eliminated languages by sxim on 09-27-2004 at 09:21 PM

thanks you anio for this translation to galego.

en galelo é mellor

RE: eliminated languages by si3rra on 10-01-2004 at 06:23 PM

8-) hmm why dont make 2 downloads?
1. Big download with all languages .. maby 4 mb? not to big for us with broadband...

2. a small download just english and selected language?

maby 3. a download that downloads the selected language from a server.. just the language file selected.. and then installs it... ? 

sorry for bad spelling :P

RE: eliminated languages by Patchou on 10-01-2004 at 09:12 PM

Don't worry, removed languages will be back soon, in a special installer,available on the translated web pages of msgplus.net .. just give me the tiem todo it :)