Shoutbox

wondering when Google will... - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: wondering when Google will... (/showthread.php?tid=31750)

wondering when Google will... by user36611 on 09-20-2004 at 08:19 AM

Well I was just wondering when Google will release Gmail to the public, I have heard that it will be in December, is that true or is that just a rumour?
Any how, I have notes that more and more people are beginning to have @gmail.com accounts, are Google handing it to people they know, or…?

Regards: partin007

RE: wondering when Google will... by Chestah on 09-20-2004 at 08:26 AM

i highly doubt its true/fact :P
i'd say 99% rumour :P but a good chance it could be out then
:p
chestah!

RE: wondering when Google will... by FrozernFire on 09-20-2004 at 09:02 AM

i got mine :) but just imagine their servers holding 1gb for each gmail account >.<"

RE: wondering when Google will... by Chestah on 09-20-2004 at 09:06 AM

lol not many users would be using their 1gig tho, i've been on gmail for about 3 months and i've only used 14meg, i get about 3-10 emails a day and hardly any attachments :P!
theres no way i'll use up all my 1gig any time soon :S

RE: wondering when Google will... by MoRiA on 09-20-2004 at 09:33 AM

GMail seem to be giving out invites left, right and centre. It seems like they're in their final stage of testing and are just seeing if their servers can handle a high load. I currently have 6 invites and any time I give any away I suddenly have more to replace them...

I've thought that they may never "release" it, and use the invites system as a way of controlling users or something, perhaps preventing spam accounts or something... Note that it's just an idea. I have no proof ;)

RE: wondering when Google will... by Chestah on 09-20-2004 at 09:38 AM

hmmm nah they won't do that :P many users will give up annoying people to give them accounts :P!! and it won't get as well known!! theres still people out there that don't know about it :O!

RE: RE: wondering when Google will... by timmie_loots on 09-20-2004 at 09:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MoRiAI've thought that they may never "release" it, and use the invites system as a way of controlling users or something, perhaps preventing spam accounts or something... Note that it's just an idea. I have no proof ;)

Using the invitation system against spam-accounts doesn't work, since you can just send the invitations to an non-existent email, then use the activation code you get and register the 6 Gmail accounts.. (If you repeat this al the time, it will go very fast at the end since every account gets 6 invitations)

RE: wondering when Google will... by azn angel on 09-20-2004 at 10:12 AM

i hope they dont release it cuz its kewl 2 have an email adress that none of ur frends have. i give my invites away, but only to the people i believe need 1gb storage. i mean whats the point in giving it to hotmail users who like all the pretty colours and emotions etc.

RE: wondering when Google will... by RebelSean on 09-20-2004 at 10:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by azn angel
i hope they dont release it cuz its kewl 2 have an email adress that none of ur frends have. i give my invites away, but only to the people i believe need 1gb storage. i mean whats the point in giving it to hotmail users who like all the pretty colours and emotions etc.

Rofl, it's got to get released some day they wont just leave it there for noone to join up...:^)
RE: wondering when Google will... by paperless on 09-22-2004 at 09:44 PM

well i like gmail coz 1gb is a lot of space bu the transition for this mail i hard i have to tell everybody.

RE: wondering when Google will... by Patchou on 09-22-2004 at 10:55 PM

Bha... who cares about 1Gig? first, you'll never use a tenth of it, second, I have 40Gb of email on patchou.com :refuck:

RE: wondering when Google will... by RebelSean on 09-22-2004 at 11:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
Bha... who cares about 1Gig? first, you'll never use a tenth of it, second, I have 40Gb of email on patchou.com :refuck:

Only cause you own the server :dodgy:
RE: wondering when Google will... by Concord Dawn on 09-22-2004 at 11:41 PM

So? 1 GB is a fsucking lot. Imagine the same number of people who use hotmail use gmail. It would be like 150 TB (terrabytes, 1000 GB).

RE: wondering when Google will... by Pr0xY on 09-22-2004 at 11:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chaotic_Shield
So? 1 GB is a fsucking lot. Imagine the same number of people who use hotmail use gmail. It would be like 150 TB (terrabytes, 1000 GB).
It would be alot more then 150 TB.  But like Patchou said, the chances of you actually using up that much storage is impossible.  They just give that much storage  to you so their service looks really good, cause they know that in actuality you wont use the full 1 GB.  I wonder if everyone  filled up their storage limit, if Gmail could handle it? 

RE: wondering when Google will... by Omar on 09-22-2004 at 11:55 PM

quote:

Patchou's spamming.... :P

:spam:
RE: wondering when Google will... by Moo on 09-23-2004 at 12:48 AM

I just like the Can I get an invite?  threads... :spam:

RE: wondering when Google will... by The One on 09-23-2004 at 08:26 AM

If everyone who used Hotmail started using Gmail, Google would be more looking at a matter of PBs...

RE: wondering when Google will... by Patchou on 09-23-2004 at 05:48 PM

May I remind you that at least, Hotmail doesn't bother you with tons of advertisement links in your mails? I think it's worth staying with them if you already have an account there, especially if you think that in a month or two, yoru account will be upgraded to 250Mb.

RE: wondering when Google will... by Vilkku on 09-23-2004 at 05:51 PM

quote:
Hotmail doesn't bother you with tons of advertisement links in your mails?
Everytime you send something with hotmail a text ad for MSN will be added to the end. And I don't think that Gmail has any ads in the mail... Do they? And I am arguing with Patch... lol.
RE: wondering when Google will... by Millenium_edition on 09-23-2004 at 06:10 PM

quote:
May I remind you that at least, Hotmail doesn't bother you with tons of advertisement links in your mails? I think it's worth staying with them if you already have an account there, especially if you think that in a month or two, yoru account will be upgraded to 250Mb.
hotmail gets spammed by spam bots with random adresses, because even brand new accounts will get tons of spam ;)

btw, like vilkku pointed out, you GET ads under your mails. not mentioning the top banner which is bloody annoying.
RE: wondering when Google will... by saralk on 09-25-2004 at 04:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chaotic_Shield

they probably use compression, as text is really easy to compress, the actual number is much lower then that.

quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition
hotmail gets spammed by spam bots with random adresses, because even brand new accounts will get tons of spam

the same thing will happen to gmail, it will become a victim of it's own success

quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition
btw, like vilkku pointed out, you GET ads under your mails. not mentioning the top banner which is bloody annoying.

I hardly call a line or two of text at the bottom of your e-mail annoying, not like anyone reads it.
And just use an ad blocker.
RE: wondering when Google will... by user36611 on 09-26-2004 at 12:36 PM

I have finaly gotten an gmail accout, an i thing it's great.
But it don't think you can use all 1000MB, or can you hahaha.

RE: wondering when Google will... by -dt- on 09-26-2004 at 01:05 PM

also people just remember google dosnt reserve 1gb per email its shared so if everyone who uses gmail did try and fill their inbox with 1gb google would probly have to buy some more hardware or something

RE: wondering when Google will... by user36611 on 09-26-2004 at 02:55 PM

That google's problem lol

RE: wondering when Google will... by fluffy_lobster on 09-26-2004 at 04:47 PM

quote:
May I remind you that at least, Hotmail doesn't bother you with tons of advertisement links in your mails?
Hotmail advertises :-/
I think that the gmail adwords adverts are better... firstly they're almost likely to interest you and second they download fast, rather than crappy huge animated gifs.