Shoutbox

Suggestion for floating contacts. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Suggestion for floating contacts. (/showthread.php?tid=31758)

Suggestion for floating contacts. by Islander on 09-20-2004 at 11:25 AM

I have another idea for an improvement. I just now moved a few contacts over to the desktop. After that, I started arranging them, and found myself moving the contacts pixel per pixel in order to get them placed in a nice way. Took me quite some time.

What about some feature like pressing CTRL while moving them, and that Plus! moves them according to an invisible grid (like 10x10 pixels or something) so that I can arrange the contacts more easily ?

RE: Suggestion for floating contacts. by John on 09-20-2004 at 11:29 AM

they should dock (like stick together) when you move them

pressing ctrl disables the docking (i think)

RE: Suggestion for floating contacts. by Islander on 09-20-2004 at 11:40 AM

That's correct, but I didn't stick them together, but place them a bit separated. You can check an example in the attachment.

Btw. I just saw that if you press the "Go to desktop" button from Windows, the floating contacts disappear until you re-open the MSN window. Is there a way to avoid that ? I have the "always on top" option set off. :S

RE: Suggestion for floating contacts. by CookieRevised on 09-20-2004 at 12:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Islander
That's correct, but I didn't stick them together, but place them a bit separated. You can check an example in the attachment.
I like the suggestion. And I would take it even a step further:

Thus, including your suggestion:

• Aligning the floating contacts to an invisible grid by default, if they can't stuck together...
  • The sicking together should be performed on X axis and Y axis together, not one or the other. Currently, if you drag a contact to the side of another contact, the docking is done right on the side (1), but there is no docking on the top (2).

[Image: attachment.php?pid=310145]

• The size of the grid (X and Y) can be altered in the preferences or registry.
  • An option that let the user choose between: showing email, friendly name or custom name. And maybe also the choice to let it depend on the contactlist, and maybe in that case also the next suggestion:
  • Make it so that the status is also shown after the name, just like in the contactlist. (again with an option to turn it on/off incase the previous suggestion isn't good)

Now, all this isn't critisizing, I love the current feature and it's very well done (y)(y). I never thought I would use it when it was first suggested a long while ago, but I do now (Y).... These are only suggestions to take a step further (incase the statistics show that many people use it :P)

quote:
Originally posted by Islander
Btw. I just saw that if you press the "Go to desktop" button from Windows, the floating contacts disappear until you re-open the MSN window. Is there a way to avoid that ? I have the "always on top" option set off.
no, it's normal Windows beheviour... read: CookieRevised's reply to Messenger Plus! 3.20
RE: Suggestion for floating contacts. by J2000_ca on 09-20-2004 at 11:50 PM

I would also like to see it so the bottom border disappear when two are stacked on top of each other.

RE: Suggestion for floating contacts. by Patchou on 09-21-2004 at 01:21 AM

so many suggestions so fast.... herei s what I propsoe guys: chose one guy who will collect all the suggestions, put them in a properly formated doc file (no garbage copy/past please) and send it to me in a week or two at mplus@patchou.com . That way, you'll be sure that I have a good basis for my next update. If you love this new feature so much, I promise a version 3.21 will be released before the end of October with as many improvement as possible to this feature.

RE: Suggestion for floating contacts. by Chrono on 09-21-2004 at 01:33 AM

ok i say... GO COOKIE! :banana:

RE: Suggestion for floating contacts. by CookieRevised on 09-21-2004 at 01:34 AM

if everybody else is ok with that, I'll do it....
Only for this feature, right? Or other suggestions also (would be A LOT I imagine)?

RE: Suggestion for floating contacts. by xsRush on 09-21-2004 at 02:10 AM

Not to sure anyone else will like this idea or not.
Here it is:
I would like to be able to set a border colour for online an offline contacts.
I would have it change to a green border for online contacts an red for offline contacts.

RE: Suggestion for floating contacts. by RebelSean on 09-21-2004 at 02:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Only for this feature, right? Or other suggestions also (would be A LOT I imagine)?

Cookie, You would be my first person who I would suggest! ...And please include my suggestion for putting the contacts in 1 click in there, as for I dont know what the hell im doint with the registry stuff...:p
RE: Suggestion for floating contacts. by k776 on 09-21-2004 at 03:04 AM

expanding on Sean's one click, what about middle click for instant add to desktop??

RE: RE: Suggestion for floating contacts. by John on 09-21-2004 at 03:27 AM

quote:

im ok with it :) hehe
please add the sugestion that Energizer had about the contact list messages [link]
RE: Suggestion for floating contacts. by k776 on 09-21-2004 at 03:47 AM

yes, there are a lot of suggestions for this awesome feature (some being the ones in this thread). Here are some more (thanks Jaguar for the first one):

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=31769
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=31728 (third post down)
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=31738
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=31799
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=31782

And 2 more from me:

The Add contact to Desktop link in the plus menu and plus button in a chat window.

The ability to tick and untick show on top for all of them, all at once

RE: Suggestion for floating contacts. by John on 09-21-2004 at 04:14 AM

np :)

(the two last links are the same :-# )

RE: Suggestion for floating contacts. by chris on 09-21-2004 at 06:21 AM

This is a pretty simple suggestion but i dont know if it is already avalible but i dont thing it is but an option to move all the contacts on the desktop at the same time. Like i got 6 ppl on my desktop and i think it would be nice to be able to move them all to a diffrent section of the desktop at once since they are all docked to each other. Seems pretty simple to me what do you thing?

RE: Suggestion for floating contacts. by FrozernFire on 09-21-2004 at 07:36 AM

hmm. when docking is allowed, move all contacts docked to each other together
then another feature to disable "group moving" if not wanted

RE: Suggestion for floating contacts. by Chestah on 09-21-2004 at 08:59 AM

hmm i'd like the feature where it only shows online contacts, but remembers the exact settings for the offline contacts that you have made appear on the desktop. so when they come online they fade in with the same settings in the place you have them set, or maybe across the bottom of the screen or side in just the order they appeared online would b e best :D
i hope u understand what i mean
Chestah :D

EDIT: also have like settings for when they change status or come online. i mainly have them on the desktop so i can notice name changes and when my best friends come online, for some reason i swear the msn messenger notificiations don't come up for some people, i never see when they are online :dodgy:
It would be good if it like changes colour or flashes a few times! to let you know when there status changes or they come online :p
fade in their desktop contact when they come online and then flash it :P

RE: Suggestion for floating contacts. by Pyroteq on 09-21-2004 at 11:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by chris
This is a pretty simple suggestion but i dont know if it is already avalible but i dont thing it is but an option to move all the contacts on the desktop at the same time. Like i got 6 ppl on my desktop and i think it would be nice to be able to move them all to a diffrent section of the desktop at once since they are all docked to each other. Seems pretty simple to me what do you thing?

Patchou allready replied to this in another thread saying it would defeat the whole purpose of the feature, To add your favourite contacts to your desktop, Not to have Desktop messenger.

quote:
Originally posted by Chestah007

It would be good if it like changes colour or flashes a few times! to let you know when there status changes or they come online :p
fade in their desktop contact when they come online and then flash it :P

Personally this feature would annoy me and if it was added i think it should be an Option
RE: Suggestion for floating contacts. by RebelSean on 09-21-2004 at 12:59 PM

quote:
This is a pretty simple suggestion but i dont know if it is already avalible but i dont thing it is but an option to move all the contacts on the desktop at the same time.

Yes, this has already been suggested

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=31738&page=1

Hopefully it might get made into  a plugin.....:p
RE: Suggestion for floating contacts. by saralk on 09-21-2004 at 01:02 PM

Here is my floating contacts suggestion,

Put a group on the desktop, so it says

[icon] [Group name] ([online]/[total])

then when you click on it, it opens a drop down menu that shows everyone online in that group

RE: Suggestion for floating contacts. by adityavm on 09-21-2004 at 01:11 PM

I wanted to suggest a little something. It will be really helpful and look awesome if it were implemented.

When a contact comes online, can the desktop representation dynamically change colors (to maybe a green background or something) which can be set or not (upto you).

Please consider this...

RE: Suggestion for floating contacts. by CookieRevised on 09-21-2004 at 01:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Scone
Patchou allready replied to this in another thread saying it would defeat the whole purpose of the feature, To add your favourite contacts to your desktop, Not to have Desktop messenger.
quote:
Originally posted by Sean
No it isn't, what Chris suggests is something entirly different! Chris is talking about moving the windows at ones, not adding all your contacts together to the desktop... Read his description first before jumping to conlussions....

Also, before posting suggestions, READ this thread and the other suggestions please, I've seen already duplicated suggestions. Yes, I know it is becoming a huge thread, that's a reason more to read it first before posting.... Otherwise if everybody is going to post without reading, this thread will become even more bigger and good suggestions will be overlooked and forgotten between all those posts...

thanks ;)
RE: Suggestion for floating contacts. by tomfletcherman on 09-21-2004 at 04:12 PM

How about having the option to have yourself n the desktop, but when you click on it, status options etc (most useful things we need to access, but normally would through the main window) in the drop down menu, and perhaps pressing F2 while having yourself selected could be used to 'rename' yourself.

RE: Suggestion for floating contacts. by tony on 09-21-2004 at 04:24 PM

how about all of my online contacts on my desktop? [Image: rocknana.gif]

RE: Suggestion for floating contacts. by riley on 09-21-2004 at 06:36 PM

ok dunno of someone asked this.. it's taking me too long to read :p j/k
uhm...

what about drag and drop with the mouse?
so drag a contact out of the contactlist and drop it on the desktop? that would ease this whole feature a lot i guess :)

RE: Suggestion for floating contacts. by k776 on 09-21-2004 at 08:22 PM

riley, was said in another thread. Patchou decided not to, because the drag and drop feature is already used for moving people to groups. However, he did say that he liked and would add the feature to drag and drop files onto an online contact to send it to him/her. Personally, I would much enjoy this feature :D

shrbr, this could (not will) be tricky, take up more resources and slow your computer quite a bit as it would have to check every contact, see if he or she was on, then display him or her in the desktop. Then it also has to check wether someone on your desktop has gone ofline. See what I mean??

tomfletcherman, I see no use for this feature, except for taking up space :P But then it is up to Patchou.

CookieRevised, no one is going to read this whole thread :P I got another idea, (providing you have mod power??)
1) Start a new thread
2) Write up all current suggestions
3) Close it so no-one can reply
4) Stick it
5) Then link to it here

If you dont have mod power:
1) Maybe someone who does can do steps 1-5
2) If not, just do steps 1-2

:) :) Just ideas. :) :)

adityavm, this feature sounds cool. I hope this is added. With my desktop background, the red man sometime looks green :)

saralk, well put :) I would like this feature. Although, it might be the same as shrbr idea, not sure.

Sean and Scone, chris is taking about moving them around the desktop in a group, not onto it. chris, I like this idea although, I think it had already been said somewhere else.

Chestah007, the first idea, I think may not be needed. However the second one is quite good. How about the little MSN man only?? And use the same notification that the msn man in the system tray does.

FrozernFire, chris just said that (same basic idea) one post above you :/

RE: Suggestion for floating contacts. by weirdal27 on 09-21-2004 at 09:49 PM

I know this has been mentioned a few times now but oh well :)
How about a option to the desktop contacts to only display when online
but make it in the right click option of the individual contacts
I dont want it to display all online contacts, just specific ones

RE: Suggestion for floating contacts. by RebelSean on 09-21-2004 at 11:19 PM

quote:
No it isn't, what Chris suggests is something entirly different! Chris is talking about moving the windows at ones, not adding all your contacts together to the desktop... Read his description first before jumping to conlussions....

Read my post man...I said, quoting SOME of his suggestion...

quote:
quote:
This is a pretty simple suggestion but i dont know if it is already avalible but i dont thing it is but an option to move all the contacts on the desktop at the same time.

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=31738&page=1

Hopefully it might get made into  a plugin.....:p

That is what I replied to...Is the move all contacts to the desktop at the same time....:blah:
RE: Suggestion for floating contacts. by Concord Dawn on 09-22-2004 at 01:35 AM

Hmm....suggestion:

What about a bit more flexibility with the transparency, I'd like to have it set to 100% (or thereabouts) transparency and always on top that way I can just mouse over to see if my contacts are online or not, then just ignore them the rest of the time.

RE: Suggestion for floating contacts. by CookieRevised on 09-22-2004 at 01:48 PM

quote:
Read my post man...I said, quoting SOME of his suggestion...
That is what I replied to...Is the move all contacts to the desktop at the same time....:blah:
good for you, but THAT IS NOT WHAT HE SUGGESTED!!! So stop arguing...  He only made 1 suggestion and that is the suggestion to grab all your floating contacts and move them AROUND the desktop (grouped moving)..... not putting all your contacts at once on your desktop!!! k776 also explained this:
quote:
Originally posted by k776
Sean and Scone, chris is taking about moving them around the desktop in a group, not onto it.
So be :blah: at yourself for not reading it properly...

k776, no, I don't have mod power. So, I can't do that. And making a list with the current suggestions will work at first, but then people will still simply not read it.... So, kind of useless (sadly).... After some time (this weekend maybe?), I'll search for all the suggestions from this thread (and on the forum) about the floating contacts, sort them out according catagory, and mail them to Patchou.

Oh, and may I remind everyone that the purpose of the floating contacts is not to have/create a "desktop messenger" ;)
RE: Suggestion for floating contacts. by k776 on 09-24-2004 at 05:16 AM

can you poat the report here first so we can check everything is added please??

RE: Suggestion for floating contacts. by caldjeff on 09-24-2004 at 11:19 PM

One thing I'd really love to have is a "ping" option in the right click menu of the floating contacts.  So basically if I click on this option, a message is sent to the contact that literally says "ping".

Why do I need this? Because I work in a cubicle maze where we always yell at each other, but several of my colleagues put headphones on or are too far away to reasonably shout in a workplace environment, so I just want to get their attention with a quick ping.

It'd be even better if you could somehow tie this in with quick texts so that instead you could quickly send a customized message such as "I'm ready to go" each evening when your car pool is waiting for you, etc, etc.

Anyway, I think you get the picture. (I hope)

RE: Suggestion for floating contacts. by CookieRevised on 09-25-2004 at 06:04 AM

yup, I get it... But these are more a conversation options (and behold, they are listed in a conversation window :D)... The right-click menu of a floating contact shouldn't contain any specific conversation-options/tools/features. Otherwise, where do you draw the line? Adding ping? ok, what about adding all the emoticon sounds, the plugin commands, or share file menu, etc.... do you know what I mean? The menu will become very bloated very quickly. Furthermore, it is equally quick to simply double click the floating contact and type /ping (or your quicktext for that matter)....

And sure, maybe you use the ping command a lot, but if you look at the avarage, then /ping isn't used that much though.

RE: Suggestion for floating contacts. by Maniac on 09-26-2004 at 12:16 AM

I'm not sure if i'm doing this wrong or if it's a bug or not but when i click on the desktop quick-start button, the desktop shows up but not the floating icons.... which means i have to minimise windows manually which takes more time then just opening msn and having all the features there ;)

RE: Suggestion for floating contacts. by CookieRevised on 09-26-2004 at 03:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ningc_Maniac
I'm not sure if i'm doing this wrong or if it's a bug or not but when i click on the desktop quick-start button, the desktop shows up but not the floating icons.... which means i have to minimise windows manually which takes more time then just opening msn and having all the features there
read "CookieRevised's reply to Messenger Plus! 3.20" to know why....
RE: Suggestion for floating contacts. by BooGhost on 09-27-2004 at 01:05 AM

my suggestion would be floating contacts without background :D

so just the lil-green-msn-guy and the contact's Name :D

RE: Suggestion for floating contacts. by RebelSean on 09-27-2004 at 01:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by BooGhost
my suggestion would be floating contacts without background :D

so just the lil-green-msn-guy and the contact's Name :D

I second that...That would be nice if it were to be added :p
RE: Suggestion for floating contacts. by caldjeff on 10-11-2004 at 10:23 PM

Another suggestion that would be very cool...give users the ability to change icons for different users.   So I'd be able to define an online and an offline icon for individual contacts, just like I can already define sounds.  The pudgy little green guy gets old after a while. I always assumed this was not possible in the normal contact window, but with the contacts on the desktop, I would think it would be possible now...right?

RE: Suggestion for floating contacts. by BooGhost on 10-12-2004 at 04:54 PM

lol true and nice suggestion :P