Shoutbox

Possible Bug - Messenger crashes - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Bug Reports (/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+----- Thread: Possible Bug - Messenger crashes (/showthread.php?tid=31897)

Possible Bug - Messenger crashes by ShogoC on 09-22-2004 at 06:44 PM

Hi, I downloaded the most recent version yesterday and my Messenger is crashing quite consistently.  Here's what I've noticed so far:

If I lock my machine or the screen saver comes on, once I come back to the desktop, my "sticky" contacts on the desktop are completely black.

If I right-click on any of the "sticky" contacts, Messenger will crash ("Windows Messenger has encountered a problem and needs to close").  Sometimes if I try to move the "sticky" window, Messenger will crash as well. 

Messenger: Windows Messenger 5.0.0468  (I am limited to running Windows Messenger rather than MSN Messenger due to corporate software restrictions)
MsgPlus: 3.20.100

Thanks,
Shogo

RE: Possible Bug - Messenger crashes by BEWARE^^ on 09-22-2004 at 06:48 PM

(I am limited to running Windows Messenger rather than MSN Messenger due to corporate software restrictions)

i dont get it quite well explain more bout this

RE: Possible Bug - Messenger crashes by ShogoC on 09-22-2004 at 06:52 PM

Good point, probably doesn't make much sense.  It's really not a limitation, per se, I have full administrative privileges for my workstation.  Internally, we use Microsoft Live Communications Server which requires us to be on Windows Messenger rather than MSN Messenger.  As I recall, the two on Win2K cannot co-reside, so I'm stuck to using a single Messenger client to access both Live Communications services as well as .NET messaging services.

RE: Possible Bug - Messenger crashes by BEWARE^^ on 09-22-2004 at 06:55 PM

did you had that problem before with the other version of msgplus 3.01.94 or didn't you've had msgplus before

Note: the two on Win2K cannot "CO-RESIDE", so I'm stuck to using a single Messenger client ''TO ACCESS BOTH'' "LIVE COMMUNICATIONS SERVICES" as well as .''NET MESSAGING SERVICES''.

the things ive maked and highlighted may could have cause the problem, instead of that they work with eachother they are killing eachother and that why you messaging client crashes

RE: Possible Bug - Messenger crashes by ShogoC on 09-22-2004 at 07:23 PM

I had the previous version of Messenger installed.  I apologize if my reply was not clear, I only have one version of Messenger installed - Windows Messenger.  I use it to connect to .NET Messenger and Live Communications Server.

RE: Possible Bug - Messenger crashes by BEWARE^^ on 09-22-2004 at 07:33 PM

well  try downloading this http://messenger.msn.com/download/Default.aspx

its msn messenger

note : with this program you can login with your hotmaill account and password

this program is made for chatting with buddy's and all other kind of stuff so try it ;) maybe the problem is solved now :)

RE: Possible Bug - Messenger crashes by Millenium_edition on 09-22-2004 at 07:40 PM

@ Beware^^: please don't talk about that, I bet you don't know sh*t about Windows messenger.

@ ShogoC: Plus! is not designed to run on windows messenger... It works, but isn't really supported. The majority of users uses msn messenger, and that's why it's made like that. And, since you're using Windows Messenger 5 (an unsupported version! well, at least it's not on http://messenger.msn.com/ ), it might cause even more bugs.

RE: Possible Bug - Messenger crashes by BEWARE^^ on 09-22-2004 at 07:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition
@ Beware^^: please don't talk about that, I bet you don't know sh*t about Windows messenger.
well i know something about windows messenger ;)

quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition
@ ShogoC: Plus! is not designed to run on windows messenger
Note : >>thats why it crashes

... It works, but isn't really supported.

The majority of users uses msn messenger,
note : >>thats why i was refering to msn messenger in other posts

and that's why it's made like that. And, since you're using Windows Messenger 5 (an unsupported version! well, at least it's not on http://messenger.msn.com/ ), it might cause even more bugs.

note : >>like i said it crashes

RE: Possible Bug - Messenger crashes by ShogoC on 09-22-2004 at 09:45 PM

On the downloads page, it does say that it does work with Windows Messenger version 5:

Messenger Plus! is compatible with Windows 98/Me/2000/XP/2003 and requires MSN Messenger or Windows Messenger 4.7, 5, 6 to work properly.

I've been using it with Windows Messenger (and MSN Messenger on my personal box for a couple of years now) for at least a year and have never really had an issue.  Thanks for the help!

RE: Possible Bug - Messenger crashes by BEWARE^^ on 09-22-2004 at 10:35 PM

yea but not the new version that has just been released ;)

RE: Possible Bug - Messenger crashes by CookieRevised on 09-23-2004 at 09:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by BEWARE^^
(I am limited to running Windows Messenger rather than MSN Messenger due to corporate software restrictions)
i dont get it quite well explain more bout this
Then please, don't post and try to make suggestions :undecided:
quote:
the things ive maked and highlighted may could have cause the problem, instead of that they work with eachother they are killing eachother and that why you messaging client crashes
that doesn't make sense...
quote:
well  try downloading this http://messenger.msn.com/download/Default.aspx
its msn messenger
That wont solve a thing, and furthermore, ShogoC can't use msn messenger because msn messenger doesn't support Live Communications Services. Hence he needs to use Windows Messenger.
quote:
yea but not the new version that has just been released
Yes it does, that was one of the first things Patchou made sure about...

BEWARE^^, I know your intentions are meant good, but you do more harm then good with your suggestions (and I'm not only talking about this thread). :undecided:
RE: Possible Bug - Messenger crashes by Patchou on 09-23-2004 at 05:38 PM

It is not true that Messenger Plus! is notdesigned towok with Windows Messenger.. if it was, it would just not work at all :). Windows Messenger is fully supported, it's just that a couple of features aredisabled in it (I still do my best everytime tosupport both Messenger variants even if itoften means double work for me).

Can you take a screenshot of the problem?

RE: Possible Bug - Messenger crashes by ShogoC on 09-23-2004 at 06:41 PM

Attached is a screen shot.  It definitely occurs when my screen saver has been active.  I have not tried a different screen saver to see if that would impact it. 

The boxes are different colors of gray/black because of their set transparency level.  I tried adjusting some of them and just noticed that those with a lower transparency setting are more transparent as the gray/black boxes.

RE: Possible Bug - Messenger crashes by Millenium_edition on 09-23-2004 at 06:45 PM

What screen saver are you using? :S

RE: Possible Bug - Messenger crashes by ShogoC on 09-24-2004 at 08:10 PM

Just a standard Windows screen saver (Windows Logon).

RE: Possible Bug - Messenger crashes by marissa on 09-24-2004 at 10:18 PM

quote:

did you had that problem before with the other version of msgplus 3.01.94 or didn't you've had msgplus before

he couldnt have...the desktop contacts have just been added to this version...and you call yourself a tester :rolleyes: