Shoutbox

Is it possible or anyway of telling the real status of the contact?? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Forum: Plug-Ins (/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+------ Thread: Is it possible or anyway of telling the real status of the contact?? (/showthread.php?tid=31926)

Is it possible or anyway of telling the real status of the contact?? by saintgtril on 09-23-2004 at 01:51 AM

Hi, is it possible you make msn tell you in list that an contact is idle when are idle insted of standart away. Thanks a million

RE: Is it possible or anyway of telling the real status of the contact?? by Chrono on 09-23-2004 at 02:21 AM

not without modifing the exe.. the might be a program out there somewhere to do this 8-)

Anyway u can always check the Plus' contacts events window ;)

RE: Is it possible or anyway of telling the real status of the contact?? by saintgtril on 09-23-2004 at 02:33 AM

thanks chrono,
dont mind can you elaborate on that? cos it seems that Plus' contacts events window only tracked the status of the contact. It didnt tell you the actual status of the contact (ie. contact can be at his machine even though his/ her status is set to away and that is done deliberately by him/her)

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks a million. Thanks again , chrono

RE: Is it possible or anyway of telling the real status of the contact?? by marissa on 09-23-2004 at 02:36 AM

just check how long they've been gone? if they've been gone past the average brb then i guess they're not there...idle.

RE: Is it possible or anyway of telling the real status of the contact?? by saintgtril on 09-23-2004 at 02:59 AM

any foolproof way?? cos idle status can be custom

RE: Is it possible or anyway of telling the real status of the contact?? by matty on 09-23-2004 at 04:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by saintgtril
any foolproof way?? cos idle status can be custom

Please note the following before continuing:
Changing the resource information of MSN Messenger is illegal. You accept all responisbility for changing the resources. These steps are provided "As Is" and I will not provide support if it does not work. I will not be responsible for any damages to MSN Messenger or your computer by the use of these steps.

MSN Messenger is Copyright Microsoft Corporation
All Rights Reserved.

Step 1: Download Reshack (http://anton.concord.ru/ftp/reshack/ResHack.zip)
Step 2: Click File > Open
Step 3: Point to the Path where you have MSN Messenger installed (Normally C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger)
Step 3.5hahaha BooGhost: Select msglang.dll and click Open
Step 4: Click the + Beside String Table
Step 5: Click the + Beside the Number 3 (on the left) (then click on 1033)
Step 6: Change the line 38 from saying " (Away)" to " (Idle)" (note the space before the leading breacket)
Step 7: Click Compile Script
Step 8: Click the + Beside the Number 7 (on the left) (then click on 1033)
Step 9: Change line 101 from saying Away to Idle
Step 10: Click Compile Script
Step 11: Exit MSN Messenger Completly
Step 12: Save the File (File > Save)
Step 13: Restart MSN Messenger

Any contact on your list whos computer is Idle will now say %ContactName% (Idle) instead of (Away)
RE: Is it possible or anyway of telling the real status of the contact?? by BooGhost on 09-23-2004 at 04:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Matty.
Step 3: Point to the Path where you have MSN Messenger installed (Normally C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger)
Step 4: Click the + Beside String Table
you forgot a step s...

Step 3.5: open the file named "msgslang.dll"
RE: Is it possible or anyway of telling the real status of the contact?? by saintgtril on 09-23-2004 at 05:40 AM

Gosh, seems that the reply is out of point. :P What i meant is that is there any way of knowing whether the contact is at his machine even though his/ her status is set to away and that is done deliberately by him/her)

RE: Is it possible or anyway of telling the real status of the contact?? by Chrono on 09-23-2004 at 05:46 AM

quote:
Gosh, seems that the reply is out of point.  What i meant is that is there any way of knowing whether the contact is at his machine even though his/ her status is set to away and that is done deliberately by him/her)
yep, use the phone (T) :)

RE: Is it possible or anyway of telling the real status of the contact?? by matty on 09-23-2004 at 05:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
quote:
Gosh, seems that the reply is out of point.  What i meant is that is there any way of knowing whether the contact is at his machine even though his/ her status is set to away and that is done deliberately by him/her)
yep, use the phone (T) :)
This is so true, since the internet we have truly become lazy. What I posted will show you if their status is set to idle. Meaning they haven't touched their mouse in X many minutes so you would have an idea if they are there or not. If the person sets their status it will never be idle. the idle status will never overwrite anystatus. (example you put your status to away and walk away, Messenger wont change it to idle). This is the best and easiest way to see if their computer hasn't been used in a bit besides Chronos oh so intelligent way.
RE: Is it possible or anyway of telling the real status of the contact?? by saintgtril on 09-23-2004 at 07:26 AM

Thanks Matt and Chrono, cos i dont really get what Matt is when he enlighten me, as to why i have to do that. Is it proof to work? :P

RE: Is it possible or anyway of telling the real status of the contact?? by matty on 09-23-2004 at 07:36 AM

[Image: attachment.php?pid=311736]

You wanted to know if the person set their status or if the computer is idle and Messenger set it. Well as you can see by the screenshot two people are idling, meaning they haven't touched their computer in x many minutes and Messenger detected it and set their status to idle (or away with an unmodified exe)

Like i said in my previous post, if your contact sets their status Messenger will not override it with idle. So when the status is actually idle (like in my screenshot) means they are away cause there is no user activity on the computer. Does that make sense at all?

RE: Is it possible or anyway of telling the real status of the contact?? by saintgtril on 09-23-2004 at 08:10 AM

Thanks Matt, that was an utterly detailed explaination, with screenshot attached too. Thumbs up for you.

Anyway, will my contacts be able to use this against me (they didnt apply the hack), and i did??

Another question, this is an append to my last thread, is there a way to tell how long a contact has been "idle" just like yahoo messenger?

RE: Is it possible or anyway of telling the real status of the contact?? by extrodity on 09-23-2004 at 10:00 AM

No, this will not apply to your contacts. They need to modify thier exe to see you as "Idle"

As far as i know, there is no way to tell how long, unless you looks at the events log, and see when they were "Flagged as idle" then work it out from there :)

RE: Is it possible or anyway of telling the real status of the contact?? by giken on 09-30-2004 at 11:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by extrodity

As far as i know, there is no way to tell how long, unless you looks at the events log, and see when they were "Flagged as idle" then work it out from there :)

Maybe there's a way using plus! custom nicks feature.
For example plus! or a plug-in or a patch can read the idle start time in the events log and add it to the custom nick using a variable (current pc time minus idle start time = how long a contact has been idle).
Maybe this can be added in the next plus! version because there are no need to modify messenger executable, idle status can be checked using event log

P.S.
is there an "idle patch.exe" to make modifications matty suggested automatically?

thanks
RE: Is it possible or anyway of telling the real status of the contact?? by CookieRevised on 09-30-2004 at 12:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by provolino
is there an "idle patch.exe" to make modifications matty suggested automatically?
yes and no....

No, because those modifications involve changing resources:
1) Resources are different for each language
2) Because they are resources and the changed string can be different in length then the original string (because of the languages), you can't simply patch them without recompiling the whole DLL (and recompiling is exactly what ResHack does for you...).

Yes, because it isn't totally impossible to write a patch program for that, but for only such small things it is rather useless to spend so much time in programming them. (remember, you need to program a complete resource compiler also!). And what Matty described in 13 detailed steps is only a 30 secs very easy and straitforward job which you only must do once.

There once will be a patch for this, I'm sure, but it must include a resource compiler also. It wouldn't be a simply "change byte x in y" patch.
RE: Is it possible or anyway of telling the real status of the contact?? by giken on 09-30-2004 at 01:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
no, because those modifications involve changing resources.

1) The resources are different for each language
2) Because they are resources and the changed string can be different in length then the original string (because of the languages), you can't simply patch them without recompiling the whole DLL. And that is exactly what ResHack does for you...

It isn't impossible to write a patch program for that, but for such small things it would be useless to spend so much time in programming them. (remember, you need to program a complete resource compiler also!). And what Matty described in 13 detailed steps is only a 30secs very easy and straitforward job which you only must do once.

Yes, I made the modification without problems, the patch is for my friends, they are almost newbie and cannot use resourse hacker or similar software...it simpler to double click on .exe for them :)
thanks anyway for your support

About my idea to integrate idle time in next version of plus! what do you think? It seems to be easy to implement... how can suggest it to patchou?
thanks
RE: Is it possible or anyway of telling the real status of the contact?? by CookieRevised on 09-30-2004 at 01:28 PM

quote:
About my idea to integrate idle time in next version of plus! what do you think?
It has been suggested before. And I also think that that would be a nice thing.

quote:
It seems to be easy to implement... how can suggest it to patchou?
You just did by posting this ;)
RE: Is it possible or anyway of telling the real status of the contact?? by giken on 09-30-2004 at 01:37 PM

quote:

It has been suggested before. And I also think that that would be a nice thing.

I prefer to not hack messenger files if possible and if this feature will be integrated in plus! there are no more needs to modify .exe/.dll :D

quote:

You just did by posting this ;)

I Hope patchou will read this thread ehehehhe :)
RE: Is it possible or anyway of telling the real status of the contact?? by ZrednaZ on 09-30-2004 at 02:25 PM

Don't you guys think a feature like this is a bit privacy invading? When you set your status to 'Away', it's obviously because you want your contacts to leave you alone for a while.. With a feature like this, they could determine if you were there anyway and start saying, "Hey, why aren't you answering me? I know you're there, man..."

Seriously, that would suck ***... :^)

RE: Is it possible or anyway of telling the real status of the contact?? by BEWARE^^ on 09-30-2004 at 02:39 PM

well i dont think its privacy invading its just that you know the truth if he/she is away or not thats all :)

RE: RE: Is it possible or anyway of telling the real status of the contact?? by ZrednaZ on 09-30-2004 at 02:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BEWARE^^
well i dont think its privacy invading its just that you know the truth if he/she is away or not thats all :)

Yeah but that's none of your business :)
RE: Is it possible or anyway of telling the real status of the contact?? by BEWARE^^ on 09-30-2004 at 03:03 PM

why isnt it non of my business if you really wanna know if the person isnt fakeing that hes not there coz when he is there and he said he wasnt then you can proof him that he was there chatting to somebody else ;)

RE: Is it possible or anyway of telling the real status of the contact?? by John on 09-30-2004 at 03:05 PM

umm :S just cause the status of someone is Away instead of the Idle that you can see, it doesnt mean that they're there :S what arey you guys talking about ^o) i put my status on Away when i really am away,  and sometimes also when im still on msn, so you can never know just by saying that if they're on Idle it means they really are away and if they're on Away it means they're there :S

RE: Is it possible or anyway of telling the real status of the contact?? by BEWARE^^ on 09-30-2004 at 03:08 PM

well if he's/she's on(idle) then he hasn't talked to antbody in the past 30mins or whatever then you can say that hes not there 

RE: Is it possible or anyway of telling the real status of the contact?? by John on 09-30-2004 at 03:11 PM

yeah, i know, if they're on Idle then you know for certain that they arent on theie computer, but if they're on Away it doesnt mean that they are at their computer for certain, like someone said:

quote:
With a feature like this, they could determine if you were there anyway and start saying, "Hey, why aren't you answering me? I know you're there, man..."

RE: Is it possible or anyway of telling the real status of the contact?? by CookieRevised on 09-30-2004 at 04:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ZrednaZ
Don't you guys think a feature like this is a bit privacy invading?
No...
quote:
With a feature like this, they could determine if you were there anyway and start saying, "Hey, why aren't you answering me? I know you're there, man..."
No...
quote:
its just that you know the truth if he/she is away or not thats all
No, not necessarily...
quote:
why isnt it non of my business if you really wanna know if the person isnt fakeing that
This is besides the point but, yes it would be non of your bussiness if the person wants to fake it. Let them, it's there right.
quote:
Originally posted by Jaguar
so you can never know just by saying that if they're on "Idle" it means they really are away and if they're on "Away" it means they're there
indeed
quote:
well if he's/she's on(idle) then he hasn't talked to antbody in the past 30mins or whatever
Indeed "or whatever"... Some people will become idle after 1 minute, some people after 99 minutes,... or whatever...

• the "idle"-status is something that is send to you automaticly, it is not requested or anything. It is just another ("undocumented") status in Messenger. Hence no invasion of privacy...
  • Plus! already shows this in the eventslog.
  • If someone is "away" (instead of "Idle") doesn't mean he is at his PC
  • The "Idle" status depends on your MSN Messenger setting: "Show me as away when I'm inactive for x minutes". If you didn't tick that feature, then you will never be in "Idle". Hence you still can truly be away when you set your status to "Away".
  • Thus it is only after X minutes of inactivity that your status will be set to "Idle", and only if you have that option ticked.
  • Note that there are also Messenger addons which let you choose to set your status to "Idle".

also:
Question about idle status
RE: Is it possible or anyway of telling the real status of the contact?? by giken on 10-01-2004 at 06:31 AM

quote:
Don't you guys think a feature like this is a bit privacy invading? When you set your status to 'Away', it's obviously because you want your contacts to leave you alone for a while.. With a feature like this, they could determine if you were there anyway and start saying, "Hey, why aren't you answering me? I know you're there, man..."
Seriously, that would suck ***... :^)

I don't think so, if I want my contacts to leave me alone, I set my status tu busy, not away :)