Shoutbox

WDZ/WJ/Surfi - Pruin user time?!? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: WDZ/WJ/Surfi - Pruin user time?!? (/showthread.php?tid=31965)

WDZ/WJ/Surfi - Pruin user time?!? by matty on 09-23-2004 at 06:34 PM

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/memberlist.php?by=pos...order=ASC&page=424

We have 989 pages of members, the first 424 pages of members have not posted (mind you some registered this month.)

But 424 pages of users out of 989 pages of users - thats 43% of the members (roughly) that have not posted some since last year.

I think its time for a pruin :)

RE: WDZ/WJ/Surfi - Pruin user time?!? by user27089 on 09-23-2004 at 06:42 PM

i really think that it needs to be pruned :) The server load is really annoying me! Its not been as bad recently, but its still insanely annoying when it happens, won't it decrease this :p

RE: WDZ/WJ/Surfi - Pruin user time?!? by .blade// on 09-23-2004 at 06:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
i really think that it needs to be pruned :) The server load is really annoying me! Its not been as bad recently, but its still insanely annoying when it happens, won't it decrease this :p

The number of users that AREN'T using the forums won't effect overall server load :dodgy:
RE: WDZ/WJ/Surfi - Pruin user time?!? by user27089 on 09-23-2004 at 07:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blade
quote:

The number of users that AREN'T using the forums won't effect overall server load :dodgy:
so where are the users pm's etc and there posts stored? lol
RE: WDZ/WJ/Surfi - Pruin user time?!? by bach_m on 09-23-2004 at 07:34 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by blade
quote:

so where are the users pm's etc and there posts stored? lol
they most likely don't have PMs.... it isn't that big a deal.
RE: WDZ/WJ/Surfi - Pruin user time?!? by musicalmidget on 09-23-2004 at 11:49 PM

They would be stored in the database, but as these users are not using the forums, nobody is requesting this information from the database...especially thier posts, as the point of this thread is that these users don't have any. ;)

RE: WDZ/WJ/Surfi - Pruin user time?!? by dotNorma on 09-24-2004 at 02:39 AM

Private Messages are stored in the database as avatars and signature information the rest I beleive is stored in a cookie.

The server load has to do with the amount of bandwidth that is currently being used not the amount of space that is being taken.

RE: WDZ/WJ/Surfi - Pruin user time?!? by WDZ on 09-24-2004 at 02:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by NoName
The server load has to do with the amount of bandwidth that is currently being used not the amount of space that is being taken.
Not really accurate, IMO... :p

Having a large database can slow down MySQL because it has to keep track of and sort through more data. That can lead to higher server load.

I don't think there are enough users at the moment to do any pruning... if I pruned, I'd only delete like 1000.
RE: WDZ/WJ/Surfi - Pruin user time?!? by RebelSean on 09-24-2004 at 03:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
Originally posted by NoName
Not really accurate, IMO... :p

Having a large database can slow down MySQL because it has to keep track of and sort through more data. That can lead to higher server load.

I don't think there are enough users at the moment to do any pruning... if I pruned, I'd only delete like 1000.

Question, this might seem dodgy, but what if the user who gets prunned lets say on the last page and wants to come to the forum to post like errors and stuff? And wdz 1000 is lalot of members to prune!:|
RE: WDZ/WJ/Surfi - Pruin user time?!? by jordanspringer on 09-24-2004 at 03:02 AM

out of 990 pages, there are only 107 pages of memebers that have posted at least 5 posts!

i think these memebers should be delted and an email sent to their email (if possible) confirming that they have been deleted due to inactivity. either delete people with very few posts, or people that have not signed in in the past year or 2. that would be a good idea i think. it would just help clear things up in general. if companies like microsoft hotmail can remove you due to inactivity, i think that plus forums can too!;)

RE: WDZ/WJ/Surfi - Pruin user time?!? by WDZ on 09-24-2004 at 03:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Sean
Question, this might seem dodgy, but what if the user who gets prunned lets say on the last page and wants to come to the forum to post like errors and stuff?
What do you mean by "last page"? I wouldn't delete anyone who has been active on the forum recently, or who registered recently.

quote:
And wdz 1000 is lalot of members to prune!
Out of 20000, not really... :p

quote:
Originally posted by jordanspringer
out of 990 pages, there are only 107 pages of memebers that have posted at least 5 posts!

i think these memebers should be delted and an email sent to their email (if possible) confirming that they have been deleted due to inactivity.
Nah, that's ridiculous. :p

quote:
either delete people with very few posts, or people that have not signed in in the past year or 2.
Most of the users who haven't signed in in the past year or 2 are already deleted. I last pruned users only 3 or 4 months ago.

quote:
if companies like microsoft hotmail can remove you due to inactivity, i think that plus forums can too!
This isn't Hotmail. Bad comparison. :p
RE: WDZ/WJ/Surfi - Pruin user time?!? by jordanspringer on 09-24-2004 at 03:25 AM

it was just A COMPARISON i dont care whether it was a good one or not, just simply A COMPARISON. And yes, i was unaware that there were many members deleted just recently. that was a good idea!;)

RE: WDZ/WJ/Surfi - Pruin user time?!? by Pipish on 09-24-2004 at 07:32 AM

o agree that we should have a prune theres no point having members that have made 1 post since 2002 they probly have no intention of comming back so yes i think it should be considdered

RE: WDZ/WJ/Surfi - Pruin user time?!? by CookieRevised on 09-24-2004 at 07:45 AM

crude but effective and understandable method: send an email to users who are inactive for (let's say) 6 months... no confirmation back within 7 days? then prune-time.... (this is done on lots of services where you need to subscribe)

RE: WDZ/WJ/Surfi - Pruin user time?!? by surfichris on 09-24-2004 at 12:46 PM

How about clear our awaiting activation users that haven't visited in 2 months?

RE: WDZ/WJ/Surfi - Pruin user time?!? by WDZ on 09-24-2004 at 12:53 PM

There's only like 800 of them. I'll wait till there's more before I prune... 8-)

RE: WDZ/WJ/Surfi - Pruin user time?!? by RebelSean on 09-24-2004 at 09:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Out of 20000, not really...

There aint 20,000 there is well over 30,000 ^o)

Board Statistics
Our members have made a total of 95223 posts in 8628 threads.
36733 members have registered here.
Please welcome our newest member, chopepas.
The most users online at one time was 334 on 04-22-2004 at 01:29 PM.

RE: WDZ/WJ/Surfi - Pruin user time?!? by WDZ on 09-25-2004 at 03:56 AM

quote:
There aint 20,000 there is well over 30,000
36733 have registered. Only 20000 are left in the database, due to pruning. :p
RE: WDZ/WJ/Surfi - Pruin user time?!? by RebelSean on 09-25-2004 at 03:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
There aint 20,000 there is well over 30,000
36733 have registered. Only 20000 are left in the database, due to pruning. :p

Stop trying to make me look dumb...:p....Well you've done some prunning haven't ya...You did a prune for me like 2 months ago so I could have this name :refuck:
RE: WDZ/WJ/Surfi - Pruin user time?!? by Eljay on 09-25-2004 at 12:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
crude but effective and understandable method: send an email to users who are inactive for (let's say) 6 months... no confirmation back within 7 days? then prune-time.... (this is done on lots of services where you need to subscribe)
(Y) good idea
i think this is the best way to sort it out :P
RE: WDZ/WJ/Surfi - Pruin user time?!? by musicalmidget on 09-25-2004 at 04:46 PM

That's how it was done last time, although I can't remember whether users had one week or two to confirm that they wished to keep their accounts.

It wouldn't suprise me if the same system is used next time a major prune is required.

RE: WDZ/WJ/Surfi - Pruin user time?!? by WDZ on 09-26-2004 at 02:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by musicalmidget
That's how it was done last time, although I can't remember whether users had one week or two to confirm that they wished to keep their accounts.
Actually, that system was never really used. The users who didn't "re-activate" were never actually pruned. :p
RE: WDZ/WJ/Surfi - Pruin user time?!? by Vantage on 09-26-2004 at 02:14 AM

tbh i think the admins are just too lazy or probaly dont have the time. I woudn't want to do it if I were admin :P

RE: WDZ/WJ/Surfi - Pruin user time?!? by musicalmidget on 09-26-2004 at 09:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Actually, that system was never really used. The users who didn't "re-activate" were never actually pruned. :p

Actually, thinking back...I've got my wires crossed haven't I. :p

I remember now, that system was to make sure email addresses were real, not that users were active.  Nevermind. :tongue:
RE: WDZ/WJ/Surfi - Pruin user time?!? by BEWARE^^ on 09-26-2004 at 06:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

i agree with this too (Y)