Shoutbox

Contacts on Desktop - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Bug Reports (/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+----- Thread: Contacts on Desktop (/showthread.php?tid=32051)

Contacts on Desktop by Sanjay on 09-25-2004 at 10:28 AM

I am not sure if this is a bug or is by design but to me it seeems like it must be a bug so I am reporting it. The Contact remains floating and visibleeven when the contact is offline, this does nto sem right because just as in ICQ the Contact should only float or be visible when online otherwise the desktop is only going to getting cluttered with all these contacts.

RE: Contacts on Desktop by TGG on 09-25-2004 at 12:06 PM

it's designed to be like that

RE: Contacts on Desktop by Sanjay on 09-26-2004 at 01:46 AM

But why would you design it that way? It will just clutter up your desktop. Atleast one should have the option to select if they want to have the contacts displayed when offline.

RE: Contacts on Desktop by TGG on 09-26-2004 at 06:36 AM

If the contact is diplayed when they're status changes from offline, then i agree with you, that's a good idea (Y)

RE: Contacts on Desktop by Patchou on 09-26-2004 at 06:40 AM

I'll give this a thought in the next version.

RE: Contacts on Desktop by Chestah on 09-26-2004 at 06:51 AM

yeah i reckon its a good idea, i've actually stopped using the feature patchou because it does clutter up my desktop when most of them are offline and it lags all my games and stuff :(!
it would be good it you could also lock them in place and to have them appear only when there online, maybe in a more organised fashion!
default positions for the 1st contact that is set to appear on the desktop, then 2nd etc. then if they go offline then all the other online contacts move down a level so its more organised :)
Chestah

RE: Contacts on Desktop by Viper6 on 09-27-2004 at 04:42 PM

I too would like to see the contacts only when the user is online...
this makes more sense...

at least have to option to do it, thanks patchou

RE: Contacts on Desktop by Taulin on 09-28-2004 at 07:24 AM

im more toward wanting this to be an option then just straight changed, i only have one contact that i even want to have on my desktop and seeing im using the blackbox for windows shell i have a nice little place for it to slot into so it fills up room

probably, make it an option with the default that it doesnt show when offline

RE: Contacts on Desktop by jdvb81 on 09-28-2004 at 12:18 PM

This option would in deed be nice, I woul like to be able to change it for each contact individualy.

Also the ordering of the contacts idee sounds good to me.
I however have another request conserning these contact on the desktop:
Could they be put into a singe floating window instead of one for each contact? I order them in a row anyway.

RE: Contacts on Desktop by T-PO on 09-29-2004 at 02:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jdvb81
Could they be put into a singe floating window instead of one for each contact? I order them in a row anyway.

Already available!! Use the standard Contact list! It's ordered in a row and you can make it float!

My 2 cents.

Regards,

T-PO

RE: Contacts on Desktop by caldjeff on 09-29-2004 at 02:53 PM

I'm going to respectfully disagree with most of you.  I really don't want my "special" contancts to disappear when offline, since they really are special (those of you with all your contacts sitting are your desktop really aren't using this as it was intended).  I may want to send an email or a comeback message to that special contact, even when he/she is offline.  Please Patchou, if you do implement this request, please make it optional, and not the default behavior.

RE: RE: Contacts on Desktop by Alamarco2 on 09-29-2004 at 08:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by caldjeff
I'm going to respectfully disagree with most of you.  I really don't want my "special" contancts to disappear when offline, since they really are special (those of you with all your contacts sitting are your desktop really aren't using this as it was intended).  I may want to send an email or a comeback message to that special contact, even when he/she is offline.  Please Patchou, if you do implement this request, please make it optional, and not the default behavior.

I myself agree with "caldjeff". If you want them to disappear when online then it's almost like the same thing as the normal MSN Contact List.

I have 5 people forming like another toolbar. I like to know when they are online or offline and be able to do the stuff that you can now when they are offline.

I just upgraded to the new version and this feature has made me a happy man. Especially once that bug with the "Always On Top" gets sorted :).

By the way, hello everyone :). Long time no post for me (busy busy busy :P). I'm surprised I remembered my password :P.

Patchou: Good work on Plus!. I really like the way it's heading, keep up the good work man :).
RE: Contacts on Desktop by Patchou on 09-29-2004 at 09:06 PM

Thansk for the comments Alamarco2 :). As for floating windows disappearing when contacts are offline, the option will be there in Plus! 3.21 (and yes, it will be an option, off by default).

RE: Contacts on Desktop by -dt- on 09-30-2004 at 08:32 AM

on the contact list right click on a contact and hover over messenger plus extras then it should say display on desktop in the popout menu

RE: Contacts on Desktop by Taulin on 09-30-2004 at 09:12 AM

Tools -> Always on top ^o)

then use the plus! options to make it transparent and bam, you have your floating list

RE: Contacts on Desktop by marissa on 10-01-2004 at 04:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
Thansk for the comments Alamarco2 . As for floating windows disappearing when contacts are offline, the option will be there in Plus! 3.21

Its a good thing that it isnt everything but online, because i know a few people that put their status to "away" when they dont want people to bug them (:P i in fact do)

im glad to hear that it will be into plus 3.21, keep up the good work ;)
RE: Contacts on Desktop by svenax on 10-01-2004 at 03:56 PM

On a related note, isn't the Always On Top function seriously bugged? (as per the 3.20.100 version) It seems to work in some completely random fashion. Suppose I have a couple of floating contacts, all with the On Top flag set. When I restart my computer, some or all contacts are not on top anymore, even though the checkmark in the menu is set. If I then change one of the not-on-top contacts, this also affects the other contacts. I usually need to toggle the flag for all the contacts to get them back on top.

This is with Win XP Pro Sp 2.

RE: Contacts on Desktop by Patchou on 10-01-2004 at 05:17 PM

The Always On Top option has also been fixed in version 3.21 :).... if you have the time to test it out, please email me at mplus@patchou.com, I want to be sure sure bug is fixed (and I never experienced the problem myself).

Thanks,
Patchou

RE: Contacts on Desktop by teddytim on 10-02-2004 at 02:39 AM

glad to know that the Always on Top bug will be fixed on 3.21.

it seems to work when i dont want it to work (watching full screen in WMP) and when i need it to work, it doesnt work (ie viewing websites).

good thing i searched the forum before posting a new report.

RE: Contacts on Desktop by Veggie on 10-07-2004 at 05:56 PM

One thing i did notice about the contacts on desktop. When i press the show desktop button in the quick launch toolbar, the contact dissappear and only come back if i open the contact list again then minimise it.

i really do like this feature though (y)

RE: Contacts on Desktop by CookieRevised on 10-08-2004 at 12:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Veggie
One thing i did notice about the contacts on desktop. When i press the show desktop button in the quick launch toolbar, the contact dissappear and only come back if i open the contact list again then minimise it.
That's because they aren't shown on top, and when you show the desktop, every window is minimized, including the desktopcontacts. This is normal Windows beheviour.
RE: Contacts on Desktop by Boner23 on 10-08-2004 at 09:02 AM

Is (Can you make) it possible to disappear the contacts on desktop when i use the "full-screen" mode. I don;t like to see them when I'm watching a movie ;) ,

Greets Boner

RE: Contacts on Desktop by Ansette on 10-08-2004 at 02:01 PM

Similiar to what was said.. wudnt it be easier to have a single floating window instead of lots of floating individual contacts.. wud make sorting a lot easier.. and all functions would be present.. but obviously only for the special contacts.. and from there u cud choose to view offline or not?

Just a thought...

RE: Contacts on Desktop by CookieRevised on 10-09-2004 at 01:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ansette
Similiar to what was said.. wudnt it be easier to have a single floating window instead of lots of floating individual contacts.. wud make sorting a lot easier.. and all functions would be present.. but obviously only for the special contacts.. and from there u cud choose to view offline or not?
Patchou _could_ do that, but then you will loose the ability to place your contacts appart from each other on your desktop, and this is just the thing that many people like about it I think. And it is also the whole idea behind the floating contacts.
RE: Contacts on Desktop by Ansette on 10-09-2004 at 05:21 PM

Ah that's a fair comment, see I just use it simply as a way of minimising the number of ppl i see.. e.g only seeing my 'special' contacts.. and the others... well if they talk to me, so be it, but meh im not that bothered lol (im a gd friend really!)