Shoutbox

Great suggestions for Desktop Contact feature - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Great suggestions for Desktop Contact feature (/showthread.php?tid=32068)

Great suggestions for Desktop Contact feature by XM4ST3RX on 09-25-2004 at 03:19 PM

Hi,
    just thought i'd suggest a couple of cool features which would be good if implemented.

#1:
   Desktop Contact Grouping - Desktop contact's will be able to be group'd into a nice, neat, tidy row.  (would also be good if it had an option to drag all contacts together in the row).

#2:
   Group by status - Contacts will be able to be group'd by status, i.e Online first, Busy second, BRB third etc. and also an option to not show offline desktop contacts

Please view screenshot for example... also please vote on poll

Thanks.

RE: Great suggestions for Desktop Contact feature by BEWARE^^ on 09-25-2004 at 03:51 PM

well it can be done wwith a lil changement in the settings :)

RE: Great suggestions for Desktop Contact feature by CookieRevised on 09-25-2004 at 06:48 PM

1. contact "grouping":
    you can already simply drag them into a nice row...

grouped dragging:
    suggested before, read "Suggestion for floating contacts." and various other threads...

2. Also suggested before, read "[Plug-in Request/New MsgPlus Feature] Add all contacts with few clicks of the mouse.." (second point). But like said in that thread, this is inpractical and impossible:
    quote:
    Originally posted by CookieRevised
    mind you that the floating contacts are all individual windows and thus objects. It isn't something like a list where you can sort things like you want. In order todo this, the windows must be moved all the time by Plus!, I don't think that's a good idea...
    for several practical reasons. One would be, how on earth is Plus! going to determine which contact would be the topcontact in the "list" (which doesn't exist btw) when your contacts are randomly placed on the desktop, or even in columns for that matter; How are you going to define which contact is the first in the "row".

RE: Great suggestions for Desktop Contact feature by matty on 09-25-2004 at 06:59 PM

During the Beta testing stage I had emailed Patchou about allowing contacts to be in a group and he said that he doesn't want to put too much time into the feature if not everyone uses it. Now since they do Patchou will probably add it in.

RE: Great suggestions for Desktop Contact feature by Salem on 09-25-2004 at 07:08 PM

I think its a good idea

I would also like the Desktop contact feature no to Alway Be On Top. I would like it if it was only on my desktop and not over my other windows as well.

I just tried using it now and noticed this and removed all contacts from desktop.

RileyM

RE: Great suggestions for Desktop Contact feature by CookieRevised on 09-25-2004 at 07:10 PM

RileyM, right-click on a floating contact and untick "display properties > always on top"... You can even set this for default...

RE: Great suggestions for Desktop Contact feature by Salem on 09-25-2004 at 07:16 PM

Thanx Cookie, I didn't even see that. Pretty stupid off my. lol

RileyM

RE: Great suggestions for Desktop Contact feature by XM4ST3RX on 09-25-2004 at 11:26 PM

quote:
  1. contact "grouping":
    you can already simply drag them into a nice row...

grouped dragging:
    suggested before, read "Suggestion for floating contacts." and various other threads...

2. Also suggested before, read "[Plug-in Request/New MsgPlus Feature] Add all contacts with few clicks of the mouse.." (second point). But like said in that thread, this is inpractical and impossible:
    quote:
    mind you that the floating contacts are all individual windows and thus objects. It isn't something like a list where you can sort things like you want. In order todo this, the windows must be moved all the time by Plus!, I don't think that's a good idea...
    for several practical reasons. One would be, how on earth is Plus! going to determine which contact would be the topcontact in the "list" (which doesn't exist btw) when your contacts are randomly placed on the desktop, or even in columns for that matter; How are you going to define which contact is the first in the "row".

#1, yes you can drag them into a nice row manually, but an extra option which i dont believe would take too long to add, and would save time and would be more efficient for people who have quite alot of floating contacts.

#2, sorry i didnt realise it had been suggested before

#3, also bein able to have them listed by status would be good for people with quite alot of floating contacts... as far as the impossibility is concerned... it could be ruled off so that when the option "dock all contacts in a row" is selected... patchou could create a function to define wether they are all docked or not... if they are then each object would have an Index... simply looping them and re-arranging them in order of status could be done...

I believe that ALOT of people would appreciate the option's as it creates a 'contact list feel' to it... and thats what it's there for... so that some users dont have to use their contact list...

If you made the option's more advanced like the above, then MORE people would use the feature, making it worth-while adding it.

Many thanks,
XM4ST3RX
RE: Great suggestions for Desktop Contact feature by CookieRevised on 09-25-2004 at 11:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by XM4ST3RX
I believe that ALOT of people would appreciate the option's as it creates a 'contact list feel' to it... and thats what it's there for... so that some users dont have to use their contact list...
That's exactly the thing which it isn't suppose to be!!! Patchou wont do this! Floating contacts are meant for "special people" of who you wanna keep track of, not to replace the contactlist!
RE: Great suggestions for Desktop Contact feature by toddy on 09-25-2004 at 11:39 PM

quote:

RileyM, right-click on a floating contact and untick "display properties > always on top"... You can even set this for default...
my "always on top" doesn't work !!! well it doesn't stay default even if i tell it to "set as default". so it means i have to click "set as default" every time i start msn up, otherwise they just get hidden behind other windows

anyone know how i can fix the porblem to make "alweays on top" selected by default ?

RE: Great suggestions for Desktop Contact feature by XM4ST3RX on 09-25-2004 at 11:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by toddy
quote:

my "always on top" doesn't work !!! well it doesn't stay default even if i tell it to "set as default". so it means i have to click "set as default" every time i start msn up, otherwise they just get hidden behind other windows

anyone know how i can fix the porblem to make "alweays on top" selected by default ?

Hi Toddy... make sure you select "Set as default", on the one you want to be set as default globally.
RE: Great suggestions for Desktop Contact feature by toddy on 09-26-2004 at 12:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by XM4ST3RX
Hi Toddy... make sure you select "Set as default", on the one you want to be set as default globally.

i have done !!!! still doesn't seem to save it
RE: Great suggestions for Desktop Contact feature by CookieRevised on 09-26-2004 at 06:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by toddy
i have done !!!! still doesn't seem to save it
this is due to a known bug, all you have to do is sign out after you've added your contacts to the desktop. In that way Plus! will properly save the settings.
RE: Great suggestions for Desktop Contact feature by lhunath on 09-26-2004 at 09:10 AM

quote:
That's exactly the thing which it isn't suppose to be!!! Patchou wont do this! Floating contacts are meant for "special people" of who you wanna keep track of, not to replace the contactlist!
List of special contacts, alias special contacts list.. For as far as it's a list, since, yeah, they really are just seperate objects..  I recon theoretically you could make them into a list by assinging list index values to them according to their Y placement.. but that'll just be either, too hard to implement, too sensitive for bugs, and will basically screw up desktop contacts. if you want them in a list, open your contact list and make a group called "Special People" or whatever.. There, all sorted by on/off line status.
The way it is now, unsorted, is alot better as you can place them on the desktop randomly, (since they are not part of a list,) and allows for alot more dynamics, plus, you always know where exactly one contact is, if you sort it, you'll have to start browsing through the contacts... even merely visually, still defeats the concept of floating desktop contacts..