Shoutbox

MSN PLuS should include Encryption button. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: MSN PLuS should include Encryption button. (/showthread.php?tid=32097)

MSN PLuS should include Encryption button. by olufla on 09-26-2004 at 12:16 AM

Hi,

Messenger Pluss (MP) could in the future enable encryption, enablig it through
   the MP. I know there are other programs doing so.  Take for instance
   Skype, encryption is enabled permanently...with MP it would be nice to
   have an option to enable encryption. I suggest AES encryption.

Sincerely

Olufla

RE: MSN PLuS should include Encryption button. by matty on 09-26-2004 at 01:09 AM

Not exactly sure what you mean but Patchou codes his own encryption using 128bit. If you could provide a little bit of a better explanation it may possibly be added but I doubt it sorry.

Also the subject in the thread is wrong, it should read Messenger Plus! or MsgPlus! but not MSN Plus. MSN Plus is a program produced by Microsoft to add different features to Windows, and Messenger Plus! is the addon to MSN Messenger.

RE: MSN PLuS should include Encryption button. by Jeronimo on 09-26-2004 at 01:20 AM

I'm guessing he means the sending of instant messages should be encrypted? :-/

RE: MSN PLuS should include Encryption button. by matty on 09-26-2004 at 03:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Jeronimo
I'm guessing he means the sending of instant messages should be encrypted? :-/
If this is the case this wont be done for the reason that what happens if the Message is encrypted and the user you are talking to doesn't have Messenger Plus!? It will just so a bunch of garbled text.
RE: MSN PLuS should include Encryption button. by Patchou on 09-26-2004 at 04:28 AM

I already thought about adding text encryption but for now, I don't as it means that both you and your contact must have Plus! installed. I don't like adding this kind of feature as it often confuses people. It's still something I consider though so keep watching the new releases :)

RE: MSN PLuS should include Encryption button. by saralk on 09-26-2004 at 03:16 PM

MSN Already encrypts conversations as you send them i thaught

RE: MSN PLuS should include Encryption button. by Millenium_edition on 09-26-2004 at 03:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
well you were completely wrong...
RE: MSN PLuS should include Encryption button. by Anubis on 09-26-2004 at 03:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
I haven't seen anything like that in the protocol...The text the client outputs is the same text that's sent through the server to the other client, the clients don't encrypt or decrypt them...
RE: RE: MSN PLuS should include Encryption button. by michael_m91 on 09-26-2004 at 04:15 PM

Why woul'd you need to encrypt? I mean not anybody you know will be a hacker and be able to read all your messages.

But if you would need it, Patchou you could have plus check If they have Plus, Like if it remembers from a ping a few days ago or maby does a ping request before sending encrypted text.

[Image: attachment.php?pid=313476]

RE: MSN PLuS should include Encryption button. by Improfane on 09-26-2004 at 05:59 PM

Hello :)

What i think the guy means, Is that if you have Encryption disabled and you have no use for encryption ... And you find yourself in a chat with delicate/private information or nothing you want a regular to see - You just hit the button and know that you are safe.

Like a Panic 'encryption' button Or a menu entry...
.. It asks for a password and then its encrypted...

Or...

The idea i like for this is, That if you set to remember the log file encryption password, and you automatically encrypt and log every chat - If something is a bit more important and sensitive and your password may a bit obvious - Click the button and it'll ask for a different password for that specific chat.

Though, Thats what i saw in it.

PS. Go Patchou!

RE: MSN PLuS should include Encryption button. by olufla on 09-27-2004 at 10:10 AM

Encryption is important. Take for instance Skype. It encrypts all messages you send and the voice with AES. Sometimes you want to encrypt your messages when chatting with your girlfirnd/boyfriend. Encryption will prevent eavesdroppers from reading your personal MSN Messenger conversations. If Messenger Plus could enable a button for encryption it would be great. I know there are  programs designated for only that porpose in MSN messesnger...but including encryption in Messenger Plus would make it so much easier.

O

RE: MSN PLuS should include Encryption button. by michael_m91 on 09-27-2004 at 12:55 PM

The only way someone will read your conversations is throught the log files, so encrypt them why don't you?

RE: MSN PLuS should include Encryption button. by paperless on 09-27-2004 at 03:35 PM

Well there other probes as hackers or something i think that feature wold be useful...for secret agents.

And the thing about the other contacts has to have msgplus also its not a probe if its your girlfriend or something, or if you really want to encrypt the message and the other part too there is no probe about installing msgplus.

I dont see the need of that because the logs can be encrypted and hackers... bah who wants to see the convo with your grilfriend?
And..the echelon well they dont care about that eheh. :P

RE: MSN PLuS should include Encryption button. by michael_m91 on 09-27-2004 at 07:48 PM

Yah, like you know any hackers, so that would be a stupid feature. :dodgy:

RE: MSN PLuS should include Encryption button. by hennot on 01-10-2005 at 10:08 AM

It's so easy to eavesdrop people in MSN from another computer in the same network (behind the same firewall).

Just get WinPCap and Ngrep. Copy ngrep.exe to your Windows folder (for easier access), open up Command Prompt and type "ngrep port 1863" and voilą! You'll see even more information than MSN shows you.

You can see when people even open your (or your roommate's ;)) chat window, before they even start to type to you something into it, and you'll see when they close your chat window.

Ngrep allows you to filter packets by host, which gives you the ability to have a separate console window for your own MSN traffic and another for all the others', or for some other specific IP's MSN traffic. If you want, you can filter out everything but the actual chat (by ordering ngrep to match something specific that only occurs in chat-text packets, like the string "text/plain").

Btw, here in Estonia, most wireless hot spots are eavesdroppable. Both public (caffees) and private (drive around and catch a net without wep).

Btw, I'm not a hacker, I just did a little googleing.

So, now when we have michael's argument out of the way, how about that encryption? :)

RE: MSN PLuS should include Encryption button. by Patchou on 01-10-2005 at 04:58 PM

Adding message encryption has ben on my todo list for a long time, it's just a matter of time (it will be a simple encryption but it should be good enough for most of us).

RE: RE: MSN PLuS should include Encryption button. by thehollyhopdrive on 03-15-2005 at 09:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by michael_m91
The only way someone will read your conversations is throught the log files, so encrypt them why don't you?

Erm, packet dump? ;)
RE: MSN PLuS should include Encryption button. by dotNorma on 03-16-2005 at 01:57 AM

quote:
Yah, like you know any hackers, so that would be a stupid feature. :dodgy:
What have you been talking about this entire time?

It doesn't matter if you know a hacker. Just because I dont know a murderer doesn't mean that I cant get murdered. :-/

quote:

And no, Your instant messages are sent accross a server to the other persons computer, UN-ENCRYPTED. :rolleyes: Anybody who intercepted these messages could read them. If I remember correctly,  A project was ran about a year ago by some "hackers" who monitored a bunch of MSN Messenger conversations for a while to prove how unsafe the MSN Protocol is.
RE: MSN PLuS should include Encryption button. by CookieRevised on 03-16-2005 at 02:25 AM

The things michael_m91 is saying are pure as it happens in the real world, in practice.

quote:
Originally posted by NoName
And no, Your instant messages are sent accross a server to the other persons computer, UN-ENCRYPTED. Anybody who intercepted these messages could read them.
I'm constantly surprised how paranoid people are... No hacker will seriously think about hacking into a server to monitor the traffic and to split out all the interesting stuff just to be left with your specific messages! They have 'better' things todo. And yes, you must be a realy very impressive professional hacker to pull this off.

The only exception would be if you're on a local network, where monitoring traffic from another computer is 'easy'. Easy enough for a somewhat experienced hacker. But 99,99999999999% of people out there are NOT on a local network, or at best on a local network in their own home. So, are you so paranoid that you think your 10 year old sister is going to "hack" you and monitoring your conversation with your schoolmate? come on.....

As michael_m91 said, the thing that can probably happen, and what you must fear the most, is that somebody in the family is reading your logs (although even this is rare), so simple encrypt them in that case...

Don't get me wrong, encryption can be a good thing (eg: companies), but don't get sucked into the "OMG They're watching me" paranoid stuff... For the average (and even pro) user, encryption of something like MSN Messenger is useless...

Ha, I even bet that, when I have access to your PC, there are tons more interesting and unprotected/un-encrypted stuff to read then some MSN logs...
(eg: a copy of the registry is enough, thank you :D)

So bottom line, don't get all paranoid people, encrypting is nice, but most of the time not needed at all, unless you're talking about bank account data and that sort of stuff...