Shoutbox

The number of times that I see someone type something then they stop - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: The number of times that I see someone type something then they stop (/showthread.php?tid=32118)

The number of times that I see someone type something then they stop by saintgtril on 09-26-2004 at 05:53 AM

Hi,

i am wondering what is the reason to this,
The number of times that I see someone type something then they stop.
When i verified with them on this, they told me nope, they were not typing anything!

This is odd.
Any reason why? 8-) Thanks :)

RE: The number of times that I see someone type something then they stop by CookieRevised on 09-26-2004 at 06:04 AM

The only true reason is that they DO type something (even a space)...

RE: The number of times that I see someone type something then they stop by WDZ on 09-26-2004 at 08:45 AM

What about stuff like Alt+Tab, or just standard Windows navigation keys? I always wondered about that, but never tested. :p

RE: The number of times that I see someone type something then they stop by CookieRevised on 09-26-2004 at 09:00 AM

did some test just now:

keys which are detected (besides the normal obvious ones): space, backspace, ctrl-enter

keys which are not detected: arrow keys, pgup, pgdn, end, home, navigation keys, shortcuts, etc...

RE: The number of times that I see someone type something then they stop by saintgtril on 09-26-2004 at 09:17 AM

What about typing on others chat box, meaning to say having a conversation with someone else? Will the typing something appears on my chat boz then? Cos my contact insisted that she didnt type anything !

RE: The number of times that I see someone type something then they stop by Chrono on 09-26-2004 at 09:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by saintgtril
Will the typing something appears on my chat boz then?
no, that would be silly :P
RE: The number of times that I see someone type something then they stop by Anubis on 09-26-2004 at 09:59 AM

The main cause of this I've noticed is when a contact uses my chat window to use a Plus command, usually the ones to change status. But what your describing could I suppose be a protocol error, but chances are they were actually typing a Plus command or hit a "responsive" key

RE: The number of times that I see someone type something then they stop by Plik on 09-26-2004 at 12:16 PM

From http://www.mess.be

quote:
Your contact will only be notified that you are typing a message if you enter an alphanumerical character (A-Z, 0-9), symbol ($, %, etc), backspace, a hard enter (shift+return/enter) and we've seen it happen once while pressing the Home key extensively. Nothing will show when you press shift, ALT-tab, arrow keys, delete key, return, enter, etc. Nor when you press special commands on certain advanced keyboard types like Play, Stop, Home, Email, etc. Also, clicking in the text area which gets the text prompt blinking does not alert your contact.