Shoutbox

Sort by Subject, Author, Forum, Time - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: Sort by Subject, Author, Forum, Time (/showthread.php?tid=32119)

Sort by Subject, Author, Forum, Time by michael_m91 on 09-26-2004 at 05:55 AM

I'd be nice if you could sort search relsults by the subject, author or Forum.

And since the forum is already displayed by time, i'd be nice if it could sort it the other way like accending sorta thing, Oldest to Newest.

[Image: attachment.php?pid=313264]

RE: Sort by Subject, Author, Forum, Time by musicalmidget on 09-26-2004 at 09:14 AM

Remember that the basic search page is exactly that...basic.

If WDZ keeps adding features from the normal search page (like sorting the results by title, author, forum etc), then it's no longer a basic search script. ;)

RE: Sort by Subject, Author, Forum, Time by Johnny_Mac on 09-26-2004 at 09:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by musicalmidget
Remember that the basic search page is exactly that...basic.

If WDZ keeps adding features from the normal search page (like sorting the results by title, author, forum etc), then it's no longer a basic search script. ;)
Its already done the hard work and returned the results. I quite like the idea... maybe the "not so basic search". :P
RE: Sort by Subject, Author, Forum, Time by michael_m91 on 09-26-2004 at 10:13 PM

Hopefully this could be implemented.

eg. Subject sorting may present one of 2 events

1. The subjects are sorted by Threads.
Suggestion 1
Re: Suggestion 1
Re: Re: Suggestion 1

2. The subjects are sorted by The first post in each thread.
Suggestion 1
Suggestion 2
Suggestion 3
Re: Suggestion 2
Re: Re: Suggestion 2

Also Whatever the search sorting will look like (option1, option2, none of the 2) if you click on subject again it would sort it decending instead of accending, if you get the idea

RE: Sort by Subject, Author, Forum, Time by WDZ on 09-26-2004 at 10:17 PM

Sort by forum = useless, because you can already limit your searches to certain forums.

Sort by user = useless for similar reason.

Changing to ascending mode = useless because you can easily go to the last page of results, then work back from there. :p

RE: Sort by Subject, Author, Forum, Time by michael_m91 on 09-26-2004 at 10:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Sort by forum = useless, because you can already limit your searches to certain forums.

Changing to ascending mode = useless because you can easily go to the last page of results, then work back from there. :p

I'm not saying sort by forum, i'm saying sort by things like subject, and threads

RE: Sort by Subject, Author, Forum, Time by toddy on 09-26-2004 at 10:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ

Changing to ascending mode = useless because you can easily go to the last page of results, then work back from there

to sum up

wdz is to lazy to add these features
RE: Sort by Subject, Author, Forum, Time by WDZ on 09-26-2004 at 10:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by michael_m91
:dodgy:

Well, I might add the sorting by thread because it seems useful. I should also add an option to search within subjects, because right now it only searches in messages.

It's boring work though, so I don't look forward to it. |-)
RE: Sort by Subject, Author, Forum, Time by toddy on 09-26-2004 at 10:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ

It's boring work though, so I don't look forward to it

well its your job :P
RE: RE: Sort by Subject, Author, Forum, Time by michael_m91 on 09-26-2004 at 11:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
:dodgy:

Well, I might add the sorting by thread because it seems useful. I should also add an option to search within subjects, because right now it only searches in messages.

It's boring work though, so I don't look forward to it. |-)

Sorry your right I did say by forum, but I'd use this when I wan't it to search all forums, but then group them into the aprrpriate forums. That ones not to usefull.
RE: Sort by Subject, Author, Forum, Time by marissa on 09-27-2004 at 02:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ

quote:
Originally posted by toddy
to sum up

wdz is to lazy to add these features

not in this case, why add features if its already possible? :S

RE: Sort by Subject, Author, Forum, Time by michael_m91 on 09-27-2004 at 04:53 AM

Not all these features are already possible, read the posts and look at the picture. And this is why i said Forum.

quote:

Sorry your right I did say by forum, but I'd use this when I wan't it to search all forums, but then group them into the aprrpriate forums. That ones not to usefull.

RE: Sort by Subject, Author, Forum, Time by marissa on 09-27-2004 at 04:58 AM

aye...i guess WDZ just added [Image: decoration.jpg] for decoration, eh? :rolleyes:

Edit: well, when you search for something, you could just go choose the forum you think its in, if you search "remove adware" of course it wont be in T&T, so maybe he could allow us to search each part of a forum, but wait, we have that feature [Image: deoration2.jpg]

and if i were you, i wouldnt go around calling people dumbasses, thats what gets people banned :refuck:

RE: Sort by Subject, Author, Forum, Time by michael_m91 on 09-27-2004 at 05:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by marissa
aye...i guess WDZ just added [Image: decoration.jpg] for decoration, eh? :rolleyes:

Edit: well, when you search for something, you could just go choose the forum you think its in, if you search "remove adware" of course it wont be in T&T, so maybe he could allow us to search each part of a forum, but wait, we have that feature [Image: deoration2.jpg]

and if i were you, i wouldnt go around calling people dumbasses, thats what gets people banned :refuck:

Oh hey marissa, lol sorry i didnt know it was you, your right I shouldn't be calling people that anyway, I know we have search forum but i'm saying organise forum but i guess that not that uselful. But there are a few other things i circled in the pic.
RE: Sort by Subject, Author, Forum, Time by CookieRevised on 09-27-2004 at 05:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
I totaly disagree with that... Limiting the search to a forum and sorting on forums are two totaly different things. eg: I could search for something and might want to know in what forums it has been talked about. Now I have to scroll through every searchpage to know that. Yep, I have done this before and sorting on forums would have helped a lot...

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
I totaly disagree with that... Limiting the search to a user and sorting on users are two totaly different things. eg: I could se... blah blah blah, see above :D In fact sorting on user would be even more usefull then sorting on forums.

eg: I often need to search for a certain post, I know/remember roughly what was said in that post so I can search for those words, but I don't know exactly anymore who said it, but I will remember when I see the name. This happens a lot. Now I need again to scroll through every searchpage and clicking on various posts which I think it could be the post I was looking for. Sorting on author would again help a lot...

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Changing to ascending mode = useless because you can easily go to the last page of results, then work back from there.
true...

quote:

eg. Subject sorting may present one of 2 events:
Option 2 seems useless to me. Sorting should be done by threadnumber/postnumber because that is exactly what "subject" means, option 1 in other words... Or sorting alphabeticy on the threads title, but taking in account that "RE:" etc should count , so again option 1 (but then alphabeticly)...

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
I should also add an option to search within subjects, because right now it only searches in messages.
that would be excellent!

RE: Sort by Subject, Author, Forum, Time by michael_m91 on 09-27-2004 at 05:50 AM

quote:

eg. Subject sorting may present one of 2 events

Suggestion 1

Suggestion 1
Suggestion 2
Suggestion 3
Re: Re: Suggestion 2

Also Whatever the search sorting will look like (option1, option2, none of the 2) if you click on subject again it would sort it decending instead of accending, if you get the idea

Option 2 would also be usleful incase you didnt want to see all the replys, just the thread's subjects.
RE: Sort by Subject, Author, Forum, Time by CookieRevised on 09-27-2004 at 05:57 AM

quote:
Option 2 would also be usleful incase you didnt want to see all the replys, just the thread's subjects.
maybe, but I use the search function 24/7 and I never encountered a search were I needed that. Besides, if it is sorted according to option 1, then you also have all the threads neatly below eachother, so you can rapidly skip through the pages.

The point in sorting is to put order in something that is chaos. Sorting doesn't mean limiting (=same reason why I disageed with WDZ); there are other things for that: If you want to limit only to first-post-titles then it should be done with an initial limit option on the searchpage, not with a sorting-option on the result page... But even then, it still seems useless to me for above reasons...
RE: Sort by Subject, Author, Forum, Time by WDZ on 09-27-2004 at 12:08 PM

* WDZ slaps Cookie for destroying his poor excuses :d

*sigh* My basicsearch is becoming not_so_basicsearch... it will probably take me a few hours to get all these features integrated... :p

I guess it's important though... I always feel kinda embarrassed when someone says "search the forum!" because I know how much the search script sucks. :p

RE: Sort by Subject, Author, Forum, Time by michael_m91 on 10-02-2004 at 06:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
* WDZ slaps Cookie for destroying his poor excuses :d

*sigh* My basicsearch is becoming not_so_basicsearch... it will probably take me a few hours to get all these features integrated... :p

I guess it's important though... I always feel kinda embarrassed when someone says "search the forum!" because I know how much the search script sucks. :p

I noticed the Search is now better... Looking good WDZ! (y), thanks.
RE: Sort by Subject, Author, Forum, Time by WDZ on 10-02-2004 at 06:26 AM

Oh, I guess you didn't see this thread: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=32284 :p

RE: Sort by Subject, Author, Forum, Time by michael_m91 on 10-02-2004 at 06:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Oh, I guess you didn't see this thread: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=32284 :p

I didn't see it, i'm just saying thanks and looking good, in this thread where I first suggested it.

Once again good work