Shoutbox

More Messenger Discovery - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: More Messenger Discovery (/showthread.php?tid=32135)

More Messenger Discovery by satnam99 on 09-26-2004 at 02:45 PM

Well anyway, after finally getting it installed etc, I now cannot sign into my account..........it tries for a few seconds then stops. A friend however can log onto his account from this computer and I have been able to log into an older account too. Any ideas whats wrong?

RE: More Messenger Discovery by Millenium_edition on 09-26-2004 at 03:07 PM

I think it's your listcache... Try searching for files named "listcache.dat" and delete them all.

RE: More Messenger Discovery by satnam99 on 09-26-2004 at 03:31 PM

that didn't work :S

any ideas anyone?

RE: More Messenger Discovery by paperless on 09-27-2004 at 03:50 PM

aaah
Thats not because md that have hapenned to me 3 times and i tried exactly the same and i asked a friend to log in with mine and it worked
since tday i dontunderstand that.
If anyone knows what it is reply plz.

RE: More Messenger Discovery by MessEnGer on 09-27-2004 at 04:08 PM

Local Disk (C:/ usually)-->Documents and Settings-->(your current user)-->Application Data-->Microsoft -->MSN Messenger you will see a couple of folders there just delete them all and try again

it'll take some time to log in but will sign-in

All the best :)

RE: More Messenger Discovery by satnam99 on 09-27-2004 at 04:19 PM

that is the same thing as Millenium_edition suggested seeing as it is removing the listcache.dat files...........however i tried it and still no luck :(

RE: More Messenger Discovery by lopardo on 09-27-2004 at 04:24 PM

Before deleting anything, try going to Messenger > Tools > Options > Connection and make sure "Use a proxy server" is unchecked.
BTW, those names can be different, I have the Spanish version, so I don't know what are the exact names in English.

RE: More Messenger Discovery by satnam99 on 09-27-2004 at 04:26 PM

yep thats definately unchecked..........i dont understand why i can sign in perfectly well on some accounts and not on the one i want to use :S

RE: More Messenger Discovery by lopardo on 09-27-2004 at 04:30 PM

Check this thread: Cannot login to (ONLY) MSN msger on (ONLY) my laptop

RE: More Messenger Discovery by satnam99 on 09-27-2004 at 04:32 PM

yeah i have to uninstall discovery to log back in, as soon as i reinstall it, i cannot login my account at all, just i want to use discovery :(

btw thank you everyone for the help so far, still no luck so far though

RE: More Messenger Discovery by lopardo on 09-27-2004 at 04:37 PM

BTW, do you have the latest Messenger and MD versions? What OS do you have?

RE: More Messenger Discovery by satnam99 on 09-27-2004 at 04:38 PM

yep, downloaded the new MD from mess.be yesterday and i have 6.2.0137 also.

I am running windows xp home edition SP2

RE: More Messenger Discovery by MessEnGer on 09-27-2004 at 04:45 PM

Is it MessengerDiscovery Build 2.6.0 (2601) ??

cause as far as i knoe this was a problem with the older version of messenger discovery

if this aint your messenger discovery version download it from www.messengerdiscovery.com

RE: More Messenger Discovery by satnam99 on 09-27-2004 at 04:47 PM

yep it started after a while using the older version and its still happening with the current one which i downloaded yesterday

RE: More Messenger Discovery by Millenium_edition on 09-27-2004 at 04:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lopardo
Before deleting anything, try going to Messenger > Tools > Options > Connection and make sure "Use a proxy server" is unchecked.
BTW, those names can be different, I have the Spanish version, so I don't know what are the exact names in English.
soo... I guess you want to disable MessenerDiscovery then 8-)
RE: More Messenger Discovery by lopardo on 09-27-2004 at 04:58 PM

Sorry, I haven't used MD for a while and I don't remember how it worked. It doesn't work at all if you disable it as a proxy? If you can't connect, then I'd try disabling the proxy first.

RE: More Messenger Discovery by satnam99 on 09-27-2004 at 05:03 PM

discovery works fine on other accounts which is what's confusing me........i cant log into my main one though. the proxy is all set up how it should be for MD also

RE: More Messenger Discovery by lopardo on 09-27-2004 at 05:09 PM

Maybe some registry problem? Damn, I have almost no bandwidth left to download MD and test... You already tried deleting your user folder in %appdata%\Microsoft\MSN Messenger, right?

RE: More Messenger Discovery by satnam99 on 09-27-2004 at 05:13 PM

lol what are you downloading?

hehe yeah i tried that and also tried manually deleting the listcache.dat files using windows search

RE: More Messenger Discovery by lopardo on 09-27-2004 at 05:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by satnam99
lol what are you downloading?
The GTA video someone posted over there :)

Well, I downloaded and installed MD, and it doesn't work at all here, I can't log in into any account when it's running. Windows XP Firewall (SP2) asked me if I wanted to block but I clicked "no".
RE: More Messenger Discovery by satnam99 on 09-29-2004 at 04:55 PM

:s im rather confused

any more ideas on this?

RE: More Messenger Discovery by matty on 09-29-2004 at 05:53 PM

Just a suggestion, with MD running, open MSN Messenger > Tools > Options > Connection

Choose I use a proxy server
Type: SOCKS Version 4
Server: 127.0.0.1
Port: 1863

RE: More Messenger Discovery by satnam99 on 09-29-2004 at 06:27 PM

Thanks, but I made sure of that earlier and tried unchecking even though that would mean MD not connecting :P

But yeah, when I unchecked, I signed into my account as normal but as soon as i checked the box again and tried to reconnect, it wouldnt allow me to sign in on that account :S

RE: More Messenger Discovery by matty on 09-29-2004 at 07:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by satnam99
Thanks, but I made sure of that earlier and tried unchecking even though that would mean MD not connecting :P

But yeah, when I unchecked, I signed into my account as normal but as soon as i checked the box again and tried to reconnect, it wouldnt allow me to sign in on that account :S
Do you have Windows XP SP2? Or are you running a software/hardware firewall?

I just noticed in your previous post that you do have SP2

Make sure that you set an Exception to the firewall for MD to connect.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security..._wfexceptions.mspx
RE: More Messenger Discovery by satnam99 on 09-29-2004 at 07:17 PM

I have SP2 yes and i have sygate firewall pro but its all set up to allow discovery..........i give it full access when it asks me anyways

I don't have xp firewall enabled at all