Shoutbox

Internet Explorer Script Error when MSN loads - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Internet Explorer Script Error when MSN loads (/showthread.php?tid=32140)

Internet Explorer Script Error when MSN loads by frankiedaman on 09-26-2004 at 04:19 PM

Hello,

A day or so after i updated to v3.20 of messenger plus, i've been recieving an error when MSN loads. A screenshot of it is shown below.

[Image: scripterror.JPG]

I presume it has something to do with the ad hiding. The advert isnt showing up, it's just this error comes up every time i load MSN. Is there any way around this?

Thanks very much,
Frankiedaman

RE: Internet Explorer Script Error when MSN loads by Patchou on 09-26-2004 at 05:02 PM

Na... this can't be related to Messenger Plus! in any way :)

RE: Internet Explorer Script Error when MSN loads by Millenium_edition on 09-26-2004 at 05:31 PM

quote:
Is there any way around this?
yes, there is. by adding this line to your hosts file
code:
rad.msn.com 127.0.0.1

RE: Internet Explorer Script Error when MSN loads by frankiedaman on 09-26-2004 at 07:59 PM

Thanx very much. Where would i find the hosts file? (However by adding this entry, would that mean i can't access the main MSN site tho?)

Thx again,
Frankiedaman

RE: Internet Explorer Script Error when MSN loads by Plik on 09-26-2004 at 08:06 PM

The hosts file is in "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc"
And adding that entry doesnt mean that you wont be able to access the main site. Only rad.msn.com, which is msns ad-server

RE: Internet Explorer Script Error when MSN loads by toddy on 09-26-2004 at 08:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by frankiedaman
Thanx very much. Where would i find the hosts file?

start > run

then type in "notepad C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts" with out the quote marks
RE: RE: Internet Explorer Script Error when MSN loads by ekerazha on 07-04-2005 at 04:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
Na... this can't be related to Messenger Plus! in any way :)

I've always had this issue after installing "Messenger Plus!" (on a clean windows installation).

So I think this is really MsgPlus related ;)
RE: Internet Explorer Script Error when MSN loads by RaceProUK on 07-04-2005 at 07:17 PM

You do know how old this thread is yes? And it's got nothing to do with Plus!, as has already been shown.

If you have a problem similar to this, post in a new thread, with full details.

RE: RE: Internet Explorer Script Error when MSN loads by ekerazha on 07-05-2005 at 08:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
You do know how old this thread is yes?
[...]
If you have a problem similar to this, post in a new thread, with full details.

And then? I have this same issue, full stop. I think it's better to write here than opening a new, useless, thread. Isn't it?

quote:
And it's got nothing to do with Plus!, as has already been shown.

Take the facts:
1) Fresh installation of Windows (XP, for example).
2) I install MSN Messenger 7 (every build).
3) I install Messenger Plus (every build for MSN Messenger 7).
4) ISSUE
5) I uninstall Messenger Plus --> no more ISSUE
6) Other people have this issue (like this thread confirms).

P.S.
Excuse me for my English but it isn't my native language :)
RE: Internet Explorer Script Error when MSN loads by Sypher on 07-05-2005 at 10:22 AM

I guess it's just coincidence...

Do you use some kind of Firewall, Software/Router based?
What ServicePacks do you use, Do you have all updates released by Microsoft?

Do you have other browsers?

What about using A-Patch?

RE: RE: Internet Explorer Script Error when MSN loads by ekerazha on 07-05-2005 at 11:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Sypher
Do you use some kind of Firewall, Software/Router based?
What ServicePacks do you use, Do you have all updates released by Microsoft?

I have this problem with or without "software firewall" installed.
I have this problem with or without Service Packs installed.
I have this problem with or without updates.

;)

quote:
Do you have other browsers?

Mozilla Firefox obviously (but this is an IE/MSN Messenger/Messenger Plus relates issue). However... I have this issue with or without Mozilla Firefox ;)

quote:
What about using A-Patch?

I'll take a look at it... but I need logging to TXT local files (this is the only feature I need from Messenger Plus).
RE: Internet Explorer Script Error when MSN loads by Sypher on 07-05-2005 at 11:33 AM

Yeah ok.. but with A-patch you can patch away the banner, and the error message :)

A-Patch has nothing to do with Plus, only with MSN itself..

RE: RE: Internet Explorer Script Error when MSN loads by ekerazha on 07-05-2005 at 11:35 AM

quote:
Yeah ok.. but with A-patch you can patch away the banner, and the error message :)

Yeah... I've already tried to remove the banner using a patch I found on mess.be, but the "ie javascript error" is still here.
RE: Internet Explorer Script Error when MSN loads by Sypher on 07-05-2005 at 11:49 AM

Maybe it's not the banner, but the config MSN requests from the server..

Or the games/applications things

RE: Internet Explorer Script Error when MSN loads by RaceProUK on 07-05-2005 at 01:23 PM

I would like to point out that, since Plus! only uses the Internet for stat reports and Custom Sounds, it doesn't interfere with the inner workings of Messenger at all, especially not the embedded IE instances or the protocol. Therefore, the JavaScript error you're seeing is to do solely one of the pages Messenger requests from the Internet.

I don't mean to be rude or anything, so please don't read think I am. I'm just stating the facts as I understand them, and applying my own knowledge and experience to the situation to come up with a logical conclusion. I'm sure that this JavaScript error is like the millions of others you may see during a Web surf - mistakes in the script. If MSN is aware of these mistakes, it will correct them, and the error will disappear by itself.

If it happens again, could you see if you can get a screenshot of the dialog? It should contain the address of the page containing the error.

RE: RE: Internet Explorer Script Error when MSN loads by ekerazha on 07-05-2005 at 02:57 PM

quote:
Maybe it's not the banner, but the config MSN requests from the server..

Or the games/applications things

It appears when I open the contact list, so it's something in the contact list.
RE: RE: Internet Explorer Script Error when MSN loads by ekerazha on 07-05-2005 at 03:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
I would like to point out that, since Plus! only uses the Internet for stat reports and Custom Sounds, it doesn't interfere with the inner workings of Messenger at all, especially not the embedded IE instances or the protocol. Therefore, the JavaScript error you're seeing is to do solely one of the pages Messenger requests from the Internet.

I don't mean to be rude or anything, so please don't read think I am. I'm just stating the facts as I understand them, and applying my own knowledge and experience to the situation to come up with a logical conclusion.

I know... but the facts are (update: *was*) these.

quote:
I'm sure that this JavaScript error is like the millions of others you may see during a Web surf - mistakes in the script. If MSN is aware of these mistakes, it will correct them, and the error will disappear by itself.

If it happens again, could you see if you can get a screenshot of the dialog? It should contain the address of the page containing the error.

LOL... I can't reproduce this issue anymore. If I'll have this issue again, I'll take a screenshot (however... it was a page of http://rad.msn.com )
RE: Internet Explorer Script Error when MSN loads by matty on 07-06-2005 at 04:02 AM

[Image: attachment.php?pid=490931]

Uncheck Display a notification about every script error
Check Disable script debugging.

Most likely its caused by the Ads or MSN Today.

RE: Internet Explorer Script Error when MSN loads by RaceProUK on 07-06-2005 at 11:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ekerazha
it was a page of http://rad.msn.com
Yep - it's the ads.
RE: Internet Explorer Script Error when MSN loads by rav0 on 07-10-2005 at 04:44 AM

I understand that Messenger Plus! doesn't affect Internet Explorer, but, if the problem is only occuring when Messenger Plus! is installed, it could be being caused by the sponsor program if it is also being installed, because that does affect Internet Explorer.

RE: Internet Explorer Script Error when MSN loads by Junius38 on 11-06-2005 at 04:27 PM

I just installed MSN Messenger 7.5 update, and this Script Error is still happening.  I have been having this script error problem for months, which is reproduceable.  Whenever I load MSN Today from Messenger I get the message three times, "an error has occurred in the script...line 374, ch2, unspecified error".  I had done the Internet Explorer, Internet Options, "Disable a notification about every script error" long ago.  I have been unable to clear this irritating recurrance. It occurs erratically when I only open MSN Today web page.   I do not receive such script error messages with any other Internet Explorer browsing.

RE: Internet Explorer Script Error when MSN loads by matty on 11-06-2005 at 04:54 PM

Then it is a scripting error on MSN Today. That is the least useful feature they included and it can be disabled.

Tools > Options > General > Uncheck Display MSN Today when Messenger signs in

RE: Internet Explorer Script Error when MSN loads by ups101 on 05-10-2008 at 09:10 AM

editing the hosts file solves the script error on the add banner. However, the hosts file should read:

127.0.0.1    rad.msn.com

and not the other way round.

Thanks for your help, this way of rerouting rad.msn.com is by far the easiest and cleanest solution to this annoying problem.

RE: Internet Explorer Script Error when MSN loads by rubenv07 on 08-17-2008 at 10:21 PM

this is what comes up on mine... ive tried everything you guys have said but the script error dtill keeps coming up :(

line:      2
Char:    29877
Code:   0
URL:     http://db2.t.msn.com/en-gb/home.aspx?ver=8.5.1302&did=1

RE: Internet Explorer Script Error when MSN loads by CookieRevised on 08-17-2008 at 11:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rubenv07
this is what comes up on mine... ive tried everything you guys have said but the script error dtill keeps coming up :(

line:      2
Char:    29877
Code:   0
URL:     http://db2.t.msn.com/en-gb/home.aspx?ver=8.5.1302&did=1
see also Getting an odd Script error when I sign into WLM 8.5