Shoutbox

What is this? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: What is this? (/showthread.php?tid=32199)

What is this? by RebelSean on 09-27-2004 at 09:03 PM

Look at that screenie, was lookin at a site and found a free website counter( yes as the screenie looks I am re-designing my site with crazyclown and jren207 :p)..Well I found it and put it in a .html and then it does this..Why dont it prompt me for it to scan? Isn't that illegal to do that and it dont promt you to ask if it can scan your computer?

RE: What is this? by MC Inferno on 09-27-2004 at 09:52 PM

This has nothing to do with your website Sean, but i sort of have the same problem from the [sarcasm] nice people at virtual bouncer [/sarcasm]

RE: What is this? by CookieRevised on 09-27-2004 at 11:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Sean
was lookin at a site and found a free website counter
you get what you pay for.... don't install dodgy things when you don't know how they work....
quote:
Isn't that illegal to do that and it dont promt you to ask if it can scan your computer?
you installed it yourself, so its perfectly legal
RE: What is this? by RebelSean on 09-28-2004 at 12:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
was lookin at a site and found a free website counter
you get what you pay for.... don't install dodgy things when you don't know how they work....
quote:
Isn't that illegal to do that and it dont promt you to ask if it can scan your computer?
you installed it yourself, so its perfectly legal

I read for 30 min on the counter, it did not say it would scan anything shit....And about the legal thing, I meant what about users who go to my site, they will get scanned not just me?
RE: What is this? by Concord Dawn on 09-28-2004 at 12:06 AM

Just use the code that comes with Microsoft Frontpage, if you have it.

RE: What is this? by RebelSean on 09-28-2004 at 12:11 AM

I dont, do you mind posting it for me :banana:

RE: What is this? by chris on 09-28-2004 at 12:23 AM

I dont think it really scans anything but its just part of the script you added, It adds the pop up saying that you could have spyware/adware even if you dont. Then it says u can click okay witch probaly redirects you to a webpage with some spyware scanner/remover.

RE: What is this? by RebelSean on 09-28-2004 at 12:33 AM

No realy, it does scan. I do have WeatherBug, and then it poped up again about the my search bar thing when I refreshed :).

RE: What is this? by Plik on 09-28-2004 at 07:16 AM

Then you have a realy un-secure computer:P
A script on a website shouldnt be able to scan your system, it shouldnt even see whats on your system. If it could, and could write to your system, the web would become chaos. So unless you have a very unsecure comp then it doesnt scan:P

RE: What is this? by fluffy_lobster on 09-28-2004 at 04:24 PM

I suppose it could just check for a couple of cookies or something... tbh it just looks like a hoax javascript msgbox that they use to persuade you to install their spyware-filled spyware remover :P

Give me a link

RE: What is this? by RebelSean on 09-28-2004 at 08:25 PM

I went to the site, and it just had information about adware and spyware and how to remove it ect...Then asked to put a link on my website :|