Shoutbox

Please Help - MS Access - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Please Help - MS Access (/showthread.php?tid=32249)

Please Help - MS Access by M73A on 09-28-2004 at 04:56 PM

can anyone tell me how you make a drop down box (using look up wizard) that when u select a certain one gives u certain fings to choose from in a diferent field ....a bit like a tree diagramm

nokia - model1
            model 2
Panasonic -
                    model XV
                    model XC

(nokia and panasinoic being the choices in the first drop down box) and (model ** being the answers for selecting nokia or panasonic)

sorry if this is confusing

RE: Please Help - MS Access by DJeX on 09-28-2004 at 10:55 PM

Google Search: http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=Java...down+menus&spell=1

Site From Google Search: http://www.searchbliss.com/webmaster_tools/javamenu.htm    (Y)

RE: Please Help - MS Access by M73A on 09-29-2004 at 06:26 AM

thanks but dont seem to help.....is there like a button or a wizard in ms access where u can do this?

RE: Please Help - MS Access by RaceProUK on 09-29-2004 at 09:58 AM

You could try using VBA.
When you change the selection in the first, it fires an event. In this event, repopulate the second listbox with the relevant items.

RE: Please Help - MS Access by CookieRevised on 09-29-2004 at 10:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by DJeX
Google Search: ......
Site From Google Search: ......
Javascript hasn't got anything to do with this...
quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
You could try using VBA.
You even don't need VBA to do this ;)

----

hint: All you need to do is creating the dropdown menu and let it depend on a query which takes its input from the first dropdownbox. Nothing needs to be programmed as this is a basic Access database thingie; this can easly be done by Access itself and some wizard (lookup wizard or whatever, it has been a while since I worked in access and I don't know all the menu's, etc from the top of my head and I haven't got it installed atm to show you)...

RE: Please Help - MS Access by M73A on 09-29-2004 at 05:13 PM

i NEED this in ms access, do u no the name of this function? thanks cookierevised.....

RE: Please Help - MS Access by CookieRevised on 09-29-2004 at 05:20 PM

erm, it isn't a single function... it is just basicly how access works....
When you add a dropdown on a form (and you have the wizard thingie on) it will ask you from where you want to get the input:
1) use a table/query/whatever (<= what you need to select)
2) type the input yourself (as in make your list right now)

As I said, it is a bit complicated to explain in words. Maybe you should try and find a tutorial of Access on the web. Or a book in the library. Because working with queries, rerouting the output, using tables, etc.. that's all basic Access stuff...

I'm sorry I can't help you more...

RE: Please Help - MS Access by M73A on 09-29-2004 at 05:22 PM

i fink i get it...kinda, thanks a lot...its cleared a lot of crap up

RE: Please Help - MS Access by toddy on 09-29-2004 at 05:24 PM

make a new form in design view.
select combo box.
draw in the box where you want it
the wizard will come up and ask if u want to look up the values from a table.
slect yes and then tell it which table to look up.

then to make your second drop down box, u will need to create a relationship between the two table, so that it knows which values to look up.

how this helps !!!! if it doesn't then i will try explain it better later. busy atm and don't have access to access.

RE: Please Help - MS Access by M73A on 09-29-2004 at 05:36 PM

THANKS LOADS toddy....im reli new to this and need it for coursework.....so nefing ne1 knows is helpful!

RE: Please Help - MS Access by CookieRevised on 09-29-2004 at 05:44 PM

If you're new to Access, then I REALLY suggest to search for a beginners tutorial. Access can be quite complex. And you need to know what certain things are in databases and how they work before you can properly use them (types of relationships between tables, different types of queries, etc...)... "Trial and Error" will not teach you much with databases and in Access, in fact you will bump into one problem after the other and it will all seem unlogic...

RE: Please Help - MS Access by M73A on 09-29-2004 at 05:45 PM

hmmmm, ok. thanks...probs saved me LOADS of time, lol.....