Shoutbox

event logging - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Bug Reports (/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+----- Thread: event logging (/showthread.php?tid=32255)

event logging by digifriend on 09-28-2004 at 06:45 PM

Since I updated to the latest version, event logging has changed. In earlier versions, events were logged even when my status was set to "display offline". That feature doesn't work anymore, events are only logged when I am online (or set to away, busy, etc.).
Is this a bug, am I doing something wrong or is it meant to be that way in the new version?
Hope te see your reply, thank you.

RE: event logging by Patchou on 09-28-2004 at 11:38 PM

I just tried and I'm notexperiencing any problem.. can anyone else confirm?

RE: event logging by Chrono on 09-28-2004 at 11:43 PM

it works fine for me :)

RE: event logging by digifriend on 09-29-2004 at 01:23 AM

I discovered something additional.
When I start messenger, there is a small program called "msn proxy" that enables me to login with status "appear offline". The event logging doesn't work then.
When I go online, event logging starts and when I switch to offline again, event logging continues.
In the previous version, it worked from the start.

RE: event logging by CookieRevised on 09-29-2004 at 01:28 AM

MSN Proxy is an addon for MSN Messenger, just like Messenger Plus! an addon is. The fault/bug is with MSN Proxy in this case.

MSN Proxy is, as the name says, a proxy. This means it sits between MSN Messenger and the internet and catches everything to goes on between the two:

Messenger Plus!
  |
MSN Messenger  <--->  MSN Proxy   <--->   Internet

If MSN Proxy malfunctions (like it does now apparently) then you can see that nothing will work like it should in MSN Messenger and thus also in Messenger Plus!....

So, a simply removal of MSN Proxy will fix everything ;)

RE: event logging by digifriend on 09-29-2004 at 07:55 AM

Sorry, but everything else works perfectly, except the one thing I mentioned.
Is there anybody that also uses msn proxy to log in "invisible"?

RE: event logging by CookieRevised on 09-29-2004 at 10:05 AM

Most people use JnrzLoader for that, or Messenger Discovery (if it works, which doesn't for some people). For more info on signing in offline see:
CookieRevised's reply to how to sign in on appear offline?

RE: event logging by digifriend on 09-29-2004 at 11:51 AM

Okay, but my message wasn't about which addon to use for signing in offline.
MSN proxy works fine, nothing changed on my system, but after installing the latest version of plus!, I discovered the change I reported.
Is there a registry setting I can change so that event logging starts immediately, even when I sign in offline?

RE: event logging by CookieRevised on 09-29-2004 at 01:07 PM

Event logging is started immediatly when signed in offline with any other addon.
As I said, the problem isn't Messenger Plus! but MSN proxy...

RE: event logging by digifriend on 10-03-2004 at 09:26 AM

I tried a few things and found out what the problem is. It has nothing to do with msn proxy.
I have two accounts for msn messenger. In the registry there are preferences for both accounts and one of them is marked as the default configuration.
Event logging only starts when I sign in with the account of that default configuration, not with the other account.
When I change the registry and make that other account the default configuration, event loggings works with that account.
Does anyone recognize this? Can it have something to do with multiple msn (sign in on both accounts simultaniously)?

RE: event logging by kingshaka on 10-03-2004 at 09:53 AM

Yeah, i have the same problem. I use two accounts...i don't use my first one anymore, only occasionnally. The event logging only works on my old one, not on my new one. Can someone help me change this?

RE: event logging by digifriend on 10-03-2004 at 11:54 AM

If you only use one account, the change can be made in the registry.
Open the registry editor (regedit.exe) and go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Patchou\MsgPlus2
There you find a key called DefaultConfiguration and the value will be your old account name. Change that value into your new account name and event logging will work for that account, but it won't work for your old account anymore!!!!

RE: event logging by CookieRevised on 10-03-2004 at 12:50 PM

I use polygamy all the time, as I have 3 accounts, and all work perfectly nice with event logging. Everything logs immediatly no matter what status I'm in or no matter what the defaultconfiguration is...

RE: RE: event logging by digifriend on 10-03-2004 at 01:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by kingshaka
Yeah, i have the same problem. I use two accounts...i don't use my first one anymore, only occasionnally. The event logging only works on my old one, not on my new one. Can someone help me change this?

Do you use msn proxy??
RE: event logging by kingshaka on 10-03-2004 at 06:25 PM

no, i don't.
Edit : tried your suggestion, digiwhateveryournameis and it didnt work.
When i open eventslog.txt, i see the logging for when i last logged into msn with my old account. So i tried to close msn, reopen it (because i changed the registry while in msn) to no avail. I then thought i should delete the events log text, so that it could recreate it. Not there anymore, and it ain't beeing created.

RE: event logging by digifriend on 10-05-2004 at 09:22 AM

I'm glad I kept the setup file of version 3.01.94.
With that version everything works fine, so I'll wait until a next release comes and then try again.

RE: event logging by kingshaka on 10-05-2004 at 12:16 PM

Well, i also have alot of the old setup files. Well anyway, i needed the event logging to keep track of what happened when i was asleep (don't ask why). So all i did was just sign in with both accounts, and keep the old one (the one with which event logging works) as *appear offline*...Done with polygamy. Oh and i've found a few bugs in Msn 7.0 hehe. Anyone know how to change the colour of toasts?? i don't know.