Shoutbox

MSN Messenger 7 - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: MSN Messenger 7 (/showthread.php?tid=32297)

MSN Messenger 7 by reisyboy on 09-29-2004 at 09:05 PM

Well its been talked about sooo long and now atlast its there :-O

quote:
Back in May, 2003 we exclusively revealed MSN Messenger 6.0. This time around it's 6.0's bigger brother, 7.0. MSN Messenger is clearly progressing in this early look at 7.0. You now have the ability to sign in as busy/away/offline etc which will please a lot of people. 3 Degrees is finally encorporated into MSN Messenger (something I had been writing about for more than a year). The interface is cleaner, smarter and the features are great!

Winks: Winks allow you to send kisses, hearts and all sorts of silly cartoons to your contacts.

Nudge: Nudge allows you to send a "shake" to your contact. Both your own and your contacts MSN Messenger window will shake, much like how Internet Explorer windows shake using the correct javascript.

Download packs: Download packs will allow users to grab winks/emoticons/display pictures and backgrounds straight from MSN. As these currently don't work we were unable to test them.

Games: As always MSN Messenger comes with games but these are currently down so we're unsure if there are any new titles.

Activities: Activities allow you to share files, calendars, photos and perform tasks such as remote assistance.

Deluxe Display Pictures: Although these are unavailable it seems like MSN are going to supply animated display pictures.

The build in question is 7.0.0205 and carries the beta tag throughout. The main MSN Messenger window is redesigned to show your display picture and includes the ability to scroll through tabs. There's no new options in the main options menu but you can change the position of the tab icons. When a contact signs in using MSN Messenger 6 or above you get the contacts display picture on the sign in toast. Custom emoticons are still the same, they still do not animate or allow animated GIFs etc. Check out the screenshots below for more features and the general user interface. MSN Messenger 7.0 is expected to be released into beta on November 11 with a general "MSN Messenger Wave 10" release as late as February 2005. We'll keep you updated but for now enjoy the screenshots.

Reliable as its Neowin lol :)

[Image: contactlist.PNG]

Full Screens can be found Here!
RE: MSN Messenger 7 by DarKnight on 09-29-2004 at 09:33 PM

Nice. I think it looks good. Can't wait for when betas get out. :)

RE: MSN Messenger 7 by Joe on 09-29-2004 at 09:34 PM

:Pabout time

RE: MSN Messenger 7 by marissa on 09-29-2004 at 09:36 PM

*cough* yahoo messenger *cough* if you havent experience the new yahoo messenger yet, just go download it, it'll be like msn messenger 7. heh...i laugh at the fact, i got rid of yahoo messenger for those reasons...they annoyed me, and they're coming back :(

but we dont know if its really true, do we? :dodgy:

RE: MSN Messenger 7 by BEWARE^^ on 09-29-2004 at 09:44 PM

well then i have to wait with downloading the new version of msn messenger untill i comeback from france (arround 7april i'll be back then) i hope it doesnt take longer then that :P

note one more post and i have "200 posts"

RE: MSN Messenger 7 by Joe on 09-29-2004 at 09:47 PM

Personally, I think the winks'll get annoying, i was testing the Beta of Three Degrees and yeah, it got pretty annoying...

RE: MSN Messenger 7 by CookieRevised on 09-29-2004 at 10:22 PM

Everything I've read so far about this beta (on other forums) is the same: "bloated", "useless things added", "annoying nudge/winks", "yahoo messenger"...

And tbh, this time I must agree with them. If this is the true direction they are taking, then it will stop right there for me....

But, only time will tell.... We'll see....

RE: MSN Messenger 7 by lizard.boy on 09-29-2004 at 10:23 PM

if microsoft was really good theyd detect weather you had style xp (legal visual styles) installed and skin the contact window to the visual style.

RE: MSN Messenger 7 by toddy on 09-29-2004 at 10:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Everything I've read so far about this beta (on other forums) is the same: "bloated", "useless things added", "annoying nudge/winks", "yahoo messenger"...

And tbh, this time I must agree with them. If this is the true direction they are taking, then it will stop right there for me....

But, only time will tell.... We'll see....

maybe you will be able to disable it ????

and if not, maybe patchou could make messenger plus stop things like nudge
RE: MSN Messenger 7 by CookieRevised on 09-29-2004 at 10:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by toddy
maybe you will be able to disable it ????
and if not, maybe patchou could make messenger plus stop things like nudge
That's besides the point, it shouldn't be there in the first place. They might as well add an "Flood all your contacts at once"-option....

Why are this kind of things added (if they are true at least) and not more things like choosing your signin status (which is btw also added). If you read thru the "features", you only notice a very few of such features. All other things are annoying UI bells and whistles which most people will disable immediatly (if at all possible)....

I remember the official msn messenger chat with microsoft. There was only talk about real, usefull stuff, not things like these....

Sorry MS(N), this time, I'm not with you :p Please proof me wrong in 2005 ;)
RE: MSN Messenger 7 by RebelSean on 09-29-2004 at 10:37 PM

Omg finaly somethign to go on...The screenshots are very cool, so is the information about msn messenger 7.0..I cant wait till the beta is out...See it in 2005!

RE: MSN Messenger 7 by BEWARE^^ on 09-29-2004 at 10:45 PM

yea you see it in 2005 and i see it this year nov the 11th :P

RE: MSN Messenger 7 by Chestah on 09-29-2004 at 11:13 PM

i can see the shaking windows getting very very annoying...!
what if your trying to play a game or sumthing and you have a dozen users shaking your msn window in the background? surely they will have an option to disable it!
Chestah

RE: MSN Messenger 7 by RebelSean on 09-29-2004 at 11:29 PM

Don't worry Beware^^ I will get to see it..I'll pay someone to send me it...And it will be out on the internet...How will you get it btw ^o)

RE: MSN Messenger 7 by Hank on 09-29-2004 at 11:51 PM

you that desperate to Pay for msn7.0 Beta?  what a waste of money, i'd have to agree with cookie. msn6 is nice, if these Features do turn out to be in the final, it'll be a  loss for the MSN Messenger Community an Microsoft , by the looks of msn7.0 has a lot of Bloatware in it, an that Search  Bar, you'll most likely be forced to use MSN Search an not have a choice of search engines

RE: MSN Messenger 7 by EvilSeph on 09-30-2004 at 12:11 AM

All I have to say is, it's for real.
And really, if you can get the beta, that's great. But parade that fact around and then say no when people ask you to send it to them and you will be hated. I find that rather annoying myself, so beware :p.

RE: MSN Messenger 7 by Dane on 09-30-2004 at 12:14 AM

Wow, this looks like a great version.  All I can say to those of you dying for it is just wait...It wont be private long, MSN Messenger Betas have always leaked and people have always gotten there grubby little fingers on it.

RE: RE: MSN Messenger 7 by Hank on 09-30-2004 at 12:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Dane
Wow, this looks like a great version.  All I can say to those of you dying for it is just wait...It wont be private long, MSN Messenger Betas have always leaked and people have always gotten there grubby little fingers on it.

wonder if this New an "improved" MSN Messenger7.0 will only work on  Certian Windows OS's . as Microsoft Has stated they wont make any Updates for IE6 for Windows98, only XP an Above an 2000 i think . IMO AMSN is Looking better ATM or even trillian :)
RE: MSN Messenger 7 by RebelSean on 09-30-2004 at 01:27 AM

Omg you saying that it wont work for  Windows 98? that will suck :( cause I have that

Still appliing that it might not work on some operating systems :p
RE: RE: MSN Messenger 7 by Hank on 09-30-2004 at 03:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Sean

only way to get a clear answer if emailing Microsnot about this, or by maybe asking Jonathan Kay
RE: MSN Messenger 7 by Jolo on 09-30-2004 at 04:55 AM

Mmm... Cool interface changes, but... I think could be better... And useless new features... :S What the hell is going to happen with the "Shake Window" feature? :S If your contact starts to "flood it"... :S

Expect to see what happens in the nexts months.

RE: MSN Messenger 7 by Mippo on 09-30-2004 at 06:11 AM

* Mippo sees loads of Messenger Plus! problems coming with this new (very cool) version... :P

RE: MSN Messenger 7 by RebelSean on 09-30-2004 at 11:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Jolo
Mmm... Cool interface changes, but... I think could be better... And useless new features... :S What the hell is going to happen with the "Shake Window" feature? :S If your contact starts to "flood it"... :S

It's like yahoo messenger, it's like the "BUZZ" feature..And I am sure that they will put a limit to how many times you can buzz a person in a short amount of time....And hopefully they will add a feature were you can block out the "shakes"..:d
RE: MSN Messenger 7 by BEWARE^^ on 09-30-2004 at 12:29 PM

well my point was that it will be a beta release  READ HERE !!!!!!! MSN Messenger 7.0 is expected to be released into beta on November 11 with a general "MSN Messenger Wave 10" release

RE: MSN Messenger 7 by MC Inferno on 09-30-2004 at 12:46 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jolo

It's like yahoo messenger, it's like the "BUZZ" feature..And I am sure that they will put a limit to how many times you can buzz a person in a short amount of time....And hopefully they will add a feature were you can block out the "shakes"..:d

I dont. I wouldnt be surprised at all if the was a flood of flooder's on the internet :P

I'm loking forward to the leaked BETA, but I am a little dispointed tbh
RE: MSN Messenger 7 by Kryptonate on 09-30-2004 at 03:53 PM

People waiting for betas... just wait till the official release is out, there's a reason why it is beta you know... :rolleyes:.

I don't like the new nudge feature, it will get really irritating. If people will use those cartoons (winks) a lot I will dislike it soon too.

RE: MSN Messenger 7 by MC Inferno on 09-30-2004 at 04:43 PM

quote:

Shakes With Fear Of Not Being To Use 7.0 :S
RE: MSN Messenger 7 by Millenium_edition on 09-30-2004 at 04:49 PM

damn. all useless, except animated DP's. interface is more graphics oriented than useful.

and animated dp's will get exploited. anyone remembers the popular msn crashers :rolleyes: ?

RE: MSN Messenger 7 by reisyboy on 09-30-2004 at 08:17 PM

heheh yup ;) even made a MSN Bot that when you talked to it crashed youu in perl... ahhh those where the days lol:)

Well im sure there will be attempts but im certain it will be all resolved in time.... remember all the crashers where before.... e.g. The Invalid Headers and Curroupted Images been sent all used to crash but not now :)

RE: MSN Messenger 7 by lizard.boy on 09-30-2004 at 08:51 PM

i bet that if the buzz and wink features were added someone would figure out how to disable them with a hex editor

RE: RE: MSN Messenger 7 by Hank on 10-01-2004 at 01:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lizard.boy
i bet that if the buzz and wink features were added someone would figure out how to disable them with a hex editor

the Next Question is.. will you or us users be forced into using MSN Explorer with MSN Messenger 7,  looking at Pics on Neowin.net an other pics, i dunno what to believe anymore
RE: MSN Messenger 7 by reisyboy on 10-01-2004 at 04:17 PM

Well definatly contact management in MSN Exp now also edits the contact managment of MSN Messenger 7, they are comming closer together..... however they are not merging by anymeans at the moment from the look of it.... just been cross compatable.... but this is microsoft, anything can happen.

RE: MSN Messenger 7 by user27089 on 10-01-2004 at 04:26 PM

I can't believe it, the time i was going to see a screenshot of msn messenger 7, they were removed by the request of microsoft, thats the most annoying thing in the world, so anyone got them saved to your pc? So I can see the pictures???

It sounds great... :banana:

RE: MSN Messenger 7 by John on 10-01-2004 at 04:53 PM

crap, that sucks. i saw them (but didnt save them) and personally i dont think you missed much. the only thing i liked is the DP in the online popups (which trillian has already anyway so it's nothing new to me)

RE: MSN Messenger 7 by reisyboy on 10-01-2004 at 05:00 PM

Anyone who needs them drop me an email to

reisyboy@gmail.com

RE: MSN Messenger 7 by tony on 10-01-2004 at 05:35 PM

wanna see the pictures too..:refuck:

RE: MSN Messenger 7 by dotNorma on 10-02-2004 at 03:29 AM

Looks nice but did we need a buzz/huge animated things apear on the screen feature? I hope that somebody figures how to remove them from our bar because it looks kind of too crowded.

RE: MSN Messenger 7 by reisyboy on 10-02-2004 at 08:36 AM

Im sure Patchou may make a plus feature to disable it, like the advert banner.... or someone will make a patch. :)

RE: MSN Messenger 7 by Chris.1 on 10-02-2004 at 09:07 AM

Talking about crashing MSN - do you think it's possible these pictures with virus' encoded into them will pose as a threat (say if they are used as display pictures or custom emoticons)? If so, a person could infect your computer just by you opening a contact window with them!

More info: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3701640.stm

RE: MSN Messenger 7 by reisyboy on 10-02-2004 at 10:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris.
Talking about crashing MSN - do you think it's possible these pictures with virus' encoded into them will pose as a threat (say if they are used as display pictures or custom emoticons)? If so, a person could infect your computer just by you opening a contact window with them!

More info: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3701640.stm
I doubt it because as we all know (from researching the ani-dp topic) MSN strip out any extra chunks in a PNG transfered like comments etc.... so i would think any virus code would first have to break the way MSN strips it down and then be sent..... although it is probably possible i doubt its been done at the moment.... and even if it did happen it wouldnt be long before MS released a patch... you would just disable CE a DP till its out :)
RE: MSN Messenger 7 by sizedude on 10-02-2004 at 10:02 PM

It doesn’t look like theirs animated DP :@ . I would have thought there would be more in MSN 7 then that, not to impressed. Better then 6 though

RE: MSN Messenger 7 by Darkness2k on 10-02-2004 at 11:26 PM

Theres something called "Deluxe Pictures"... no idea if thats animated... but its most likely subscription.

And, for all those people I read on the first few pages, you can turn "Nudges" off in the options (I haven't read all the pages of this thread if its already listed though, lol)

Tools, Options, Messages, Allow people to send me Nudges

If its disabled, you can't send nudges yourself either.

You can also stop playing Winks automatically too.  Only morons would abuse these features.. so why would you have them on your contact list anyway?

RE: MSN Messenger 7 by marissa on 10-02-2004 at 11:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Darkness2k
Theres something called "Deluxe Pictures"... no idea if thats animated... but its most likely subscription.

i was just thinking, maybe its how your dp is bigger to you, so you can see how it looks on the other end...just a though, and if im far off, i would have guessed the subscription thing too...
RE: MSN Messenger 7 by CookieRevised on 10-02-2004 at 11:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Darkness2k
CookieRevised's reply to suggestion for new plus version!
(although it is possible that some things have been changed (available in more countries, not a payed service anymore, etc...) , it will give you the idea about what MS actually means with "Deluxe Display Pictures". One thing is for sure and that's that they don't mean "Animated Display Pictures" like everyone thinks they are...)