Shoutbox

CoolWWWSearch and Lop - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: CoolWWWSearch and Lop (/showthread.php?tid=32305)

CoolWWWSearch and Lop by MSGPlusRox on 09-30-2004 at 01:49 AM

Does the new version of Plus include this spyware? I just got done cleaning Lop off my computer and want to be sure it's not caused by this wonderful program.

RE: CoolWWWSearch and Lop by RebelSean on 09-30-2004 at 01:52 AM

Yes it still does. But it has ALWAYS been optional to download and install..During the installation look for this page and select NO dont like it install:
[Image: mp3_sponsor.png]

Hope this helps :).

RE: CoolWWWSearch and Lop by MSGPlusRox on 09-30-2004 at 01:58 AM

I'm not sure if I remembered to click No. Is there any way I can find out, or do I need to uninstall/reinstall?

RE: CoolWWWSearch and Lop by RebelSean on 09-30-2004 at 02:00 AM

You should un-install then re-install and then dont let it install the sponser :).

RE: CoolWWWSearch and Lop by MSGPlusRox on 09-30-2004 at 02:02 AM

OK I'll do that in just a bit.

RE: CoolWWWSearch and Lop by Chrono on 09-30-2004 at 02:14 AM

well if u installed it u would see a searchbar on internet explorer :P
And remember that its not spyware but adware :)

RE: CoolWWWSearch and Lop by MSGPlusRox on 09-30-2004 at 02:18 AM

I did see a search bar in IE, plus altered favorites and icons on my desktop. :)

Thanks for the tips! Looks like I got it licked (finally). Lesson here is to read what I'm doing, not just click on buttons blindly.

RE: CoolWWWSearch and Lop by RebelSean on 09-30-2004 at 02:45 AM

Plus does not alter your icons on your desktop..That would be just dodgy, and I dont think that it alters favorities either :S

RE: CoolWWWSearch and Lop by surfichris on 09-30-2004 at 02:54 AM

The sponsor program does.

Please get your facts straight before posting about it.

RE: CoolWWWSearch and Lop by matty on 09-30-2004 at 03:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton

It only adds icons (Shortcuts to websites) to the desktop, it doesn't change any of the original icons.
quote:
Originally posted by Sean
Plus does not alter your icons on your desktop..That would be just dodgy, and I dont think that it alters favorities either :S
What Sean was trying to say is what i posted above. It doesn't change other items just adds more.
RE: CoolWWWSearch and Lop by RebelSean on 09-30-2004 at 11:44 AM

quote:

Sorry, it never done it to me before :)...

quote:
Originally posted by Matty.
quote:

It only adds icons (Shortcuts to websites) to the desktop, it doesn't change any of the original icons.
quote:
Originally posted by Sean
What Sean was trying to say is what i posted above. It doesn't change other items just adds more.

Ya thats what I was implying :p
RE: CoolWWWSearch and Lop by Sam Spade on 09-30-2004 at 01:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
well if u installed it u would see a searchbar on internet explorer :P
And remember that its not spyware but adware :)

The EULA says:

""If you change your home page, search page or default error page after installation of the Software, a Pass-Through Toolbar will be installed at the bottom of your web browser and shall remain active as long as the Software is installed ***and information related to such change, including but not limited to the web address (URL), for the new home page, search page and default error page will be sent to C2's servers or third party servers.***"

That makes it spyware. My home page and search engine preferences are my own business.

RE: CoolWWWSearch and Lop by CookieRevised on 09-30-2004 at 01:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Sam Spade
The EULA says:

""If you change your home page, search page or default error page after installation of the Software, a Pass-Through Toolbar will be installed at the bottom of your web browser and shall remain active as long as the Software is installed ***and information related to such change, including but not limited to the web address (URL), for the new home page, search page and default error page will be sent to C2's servers or third party servers.***"

That makes it spyware. My home page and search engine preferences are my own business.
Spyware is software that collects things WITHOUT your knowledge.

Since an EULA is MEANT to be read and since it clearly informs you about what it is doing, makes it that it is NOT spyware!
RE: CoolWWWSearch and Lop by SpecimenB on 09-30-2004 at 02:04 PM

quote:

Since an EULA is MEANT to be read and since it clearly informs you about what it is doing, makes it that it is NOT spyware!

Who cares what it is? The fact is that it was deceptively installed on my machine. And don't give me that line about EULA is MEANT to be read. That's a bunch of crap and you know it. EULA's aren't read. The developers know this and they hide it in the EULA to sneak it past unwary installers so they can make a quick buck. It's underhanded and deceptive.
RE: CoolWWWSearch and Lop by CookieRevised on 09-30-2004 at 02:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SpecimenB
The fact is that it was deceptively installed on my machine.
erm, it wasn't, you choosed to do it while it was asked first. And you even didn't have to read the EULA for that!!!!! You only had to read the first paragraph in that box. WWhich is, btw, ALWAYS completely visible and always translated in the users language and clearly states that you easly can opt out. Besides, you even didn't had to read that! You only had to read 2 lines besides the round radiobuttons:

[Image: mp3_sponsor.png]

quote:
And don't give me that line about EULA is MEANT to be read. That's a bunch of crap and you know it. EULA's aren't read.
And who's fault is that? Not the developers faults though! If it was put there to be skipped, then why put it there in the first place? developers don't include those things for fun. They can spend their time much better....

RE: CoolWWWSearch and Lop by ddunk on 09-30-2004 at 02:11 PM

quote:
Who cares what it is? The fact is that it was deceptively installed on my machine. And don't give me that line about EULA is MEANT to be read. That's a bunch of crap and you know it. EULA's aren't read. The developers know this and they hide it in the EULA to sneak it past unwary installers so they can make a quick buck. It's underhanded and deceptive.

EULA = End User License Agreement

6 entries found for contract: 1 a : a binding agreement between two or more persons or parties

Essentially, the EULA is a contract, it's not the developer's fault if the User doesn't read the "contract" the same as if a person signs on the dotted line before reading the fine print. At least in this case, you can uninstall the sponsor even though you didn't read the fine print. Again, it's not the dev fault if the user doesn't read.
RE: CoolWWWSearch and Lop by smurlos on 09-30-2004 at 02:12 PM

How can I remove the searchbar and the crap it's installed with it?
Me being the dumbass I am, totally forgot about selecting yes and no... so now ive got toolbars coming out of my ears! Argh why do people have to even have this crap? Does annoying people make them happy or something?

Anyway, I've uninstalled messenger plus 3, did an adware check, removed all the adware stuff, then i restarted, installed messenger plus 3 again but selected no this time and then restarted again and the sh!tty toolbar is STILL invading my screen... and it's not even in my programs list in control panel...

RE: RE: CoolWWWSearch and Lop by Sam Spade on 09-30-2004 at 02:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
The EULA says:

<sigh> I have seen that attempt at justification elsewhere in this forum.  Does it not concern any of you that the same excuse is often used by disreputable software vendors?   

To be spyware, software does not have to be secret, or act in secrecy.  It simply needs to report a user's actions/movements/preferences.  Spyware is often successfully installed because the purveyors rely on human kind's natural tendency to trust those that appear to be reputable; spyware purveyors also depend on habit, carelessness and social engineering, or innocuous non-descriptive phrases like 'sponsor program' that give no clue about what is actually going to happen.

To illustrate alternative points of view...

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=spyware

and

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/spywarewhat.mspx

The first link makes no reference to "without your knowledge"  For the second link, the key point is 'APPROPRIATELY obtaining your consent'.

The really important thing is that y'all KNOW that users are not reading the EULA, and have known for a long time, yet nothing is done to improve the situation.  Is this because, to quote Patchou "it could be redesigned to warn you better but then, nobody would install it"?

RE: CoolWWWSearch and Lop by CookieRevised on 09-30-2004 at 02:22 PM

quote:
It simply needs to report a user's actions/movements/preferences.
Then everything on the net is spyware: Servers log your IP all the time! Also, more then half of the websites on the net log your IP address and things you do on the site, they even record what type of browser and OS your are using!

quote:
Spyware is often successfully installed because the purveyors rely on human kind's natural tendency to trust those that appear to be reputable;
This goes for A LOT of things, including harmless software which hasn't anything todo with spyware or even adware. So... That's not a defination of what spyware is!

quote:
Spyware purveyors also depend on habit, carelessness and social engineering, or innocuous non-descriptive phrases like 'sponsor program' that give no clue about what is actually going to happen.
Again, not a definition.... Besides, no clue? "sponsor agreement", I dunno what more clue you want and also for the details: that's why the EULA is there!!!

quote:
To illustrate alternative points of view...
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=spyware
The link makes no reference to "without your knowledge"
Read the bold part
quote:
Definition: any software that covertly gathers information about a user while he/she navigates the Internet and transmits the information to an individual or company that uses it for marketing or other purposes; also called adware
covertly: meaning without the user knowing! And since it is clearly stated in the EULA what the sponsor will do, this only proofs again that the sponsor isn't spyware by this definition....

also called as: meaning, people call it that way. It does not mean "is the same as"... eg: you call the adware sponsor, "spyware"... thus this definitions states that quite correctly "also called as"

quote:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/spywarewhat.mspx
For this link, the key point is 'APPROPRIATELY obtaining your consent'.
That is not what it is told there. Read it again...
quote:
Spyware is often associated (again, this doesn't mean "it is") with software that displays advertisements (called adware) or software that tracks personal or sensitive information. That does not mean all software which provides ads or tracks your online activities is bad. For example, you might sign up for a free music service, but "pay" for the service by agreeing to receive targeted ads. If you understand the terms and agree to them, you may have decided that it is a fair tradeoff (and if you didn't, then you select "I don't agree" and nothing will happen). You might also agree to let the company track your online activities to determine which ads to show you.
The next part clearly talks about the difference between spyware and other things:
quote:
The key in all cases is whether or not you (or someone who uses your computer) understand what the software will do and have agreed to install the software on your computer.
and that is indeed is the difference between adware and spyware. Spyware will NOT ask you to agree upon something!!! Once again, it only proofs the opposite of what you are telling...

Also, all adware wants is to show you it's here (with a search bar or popup advertisement), hence ADware.

Another GOLDEN quote from the same site:
quote:
Step 4: Surf and download more safely
Here are a few helpful tips that can protect you from downloading software you don't want:
• Read all security warnings, license agreements, and privacy statements associated with any software you download.

quote:
yet nothing is done to improve the situation.
Clearly shows that you don't know exactly what your talking about. Do I need to post all the screenshots since the sponsor was added to show you how many things have been improved?

quote:
Originally posted by smurlos
How can I remove the searchbar and the crap it's installed with it?
By simply uninstall Plus! and following the instructions (closing every browser window, entering the validation number in the checkdialog, rebooting, ....). This method works!

However, when you tried to delete it yourself (with programs like ad-aware) that will only screw up the uninstall process. And in that case you can indeed be left with things.

To fix this, you need to reinstall Plus! again WITH the sponsor (so the uninstall routines are fixed again) and right after (without doing anything with ad-aware or anything) uninstall Plus! again...

After all this is done, you can install Plus! again, but don't forget to tick "don't install sponsor" then...

detailed official instructions can be found here: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=21598
unofficial instructions can be found here: http://aux.udcx.com/?action=sponsor

quote:
Argh why do people have to even have this crap?
To make a living.
RE: CoolWWWSearch and Lop by MSGPlusRox on 09-30-2004 at 02:27 PM

I was able to do it with just uninstalling it. It told me everything would be removed when I rebooted, and so it was.

RE: CoolWWWSearch and Lop by Sam Spade on 09-30-2004 at 02:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MSGPlusRox
I was able to do it with just uninstalling it. It told me everything would be removed when I rebooted, and so it was.

The big problem that I see is that:

1.  People don't read the EULA, as y'all well know.
2.  The 'sponsor program' is not installed until 36 hours after Messenger Plus is installed.
3.  People who don't read the EULA cannot make the association between the install of Messenger and the sudden appearance of adware and browser hijackings.

Despite all the cards being stacked against them, the hapless user is told in this forum that everything is their fault because they didn't read the EULA and because they used reputable anti-spyware software to clean up their system.

Now, IF users were properly warned about what the 'sponsor program' is and does during installation (For heavens sake, I've done my share of working with VB and VB .NET and know how easy it is to add a window saying that 'lop.com will be installed on your computer in 36 hours time. Lop.com will change your home page and search engine settings and generate pop up advertisements), and IF the sponsor program alerted users as to what was happening when it spontaneously installed itself after 36 hours delay instead of installing silently, with no message windows at all, then PERHAPS a supportable argument could be made for current Messenger Plus and lop.com install protocols.
RE: CoolWWWSearch and Lop by MSGPlusRox on 09-30-2004 at 02:43 PM

Well at least it wasn't a very bad variant of Lop. I've heard of some that are so bad, you end up needing to reinstall Windows.

RE: RE: CoolWWWSearch and Lop by smurlos on 09-30-2004 at 02:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

quote:
Argh why do people have to even have this crap?
To make a living.

Yes, fair enough, but it's not like they HAVE to do that to earn money. Plenty of other ways...

Thanks for the guidance btw - it's gone. finally. i was panicking a bit hehe. Thought I was gonna be doomed to be stuck with it for the rest of my computer's life...
RE: RE: CoolWWWSearch and Lop by Leif on 09-30-2004 at 02:46 PM

quote:
Now, IF users were properly warned about what the 'sponsor program' is and does during installation (For heavens sake, I've done my share of working with VB and VB .NET and know how easy it is to add a window saying that 'lop.com will be installed on your computer in 36 hours time. Lop.com will change your home page and search engine settings and generate pop up advertisements), and IF the sponsor program alerted users as to what was happening when it spontaneously installed itself after 36 hours delay instead of installing silently, with no message windows at all, then PERHAPS a supportable argument could be made for current Messenger Plus and lop.com install protocols.

May I quote Patchou:
"...the sponsor’s license agreement (yes, it could be redesigned to warn you better but then, nobody would install it, let’s be honest)..."
RE: CoolWWWSearch and Lop by MSGPlusRox on 09-30-2004 at 02:50 PM

Isn't there some kind of donation system? I'm sure Plus users would be more than happy to donate.

RE: RE: CoolWWWSearch and Lop by SpecimenB on 09-30-2004 at 02:55 PM

quote:
Isn't there some kind of donation system? I'm sure Plus users would be more than happy to donate.

I liked the software. I'd have been willing to donate.
RE: CoolWWWSearch and Lop by WDZ on 09-30-2004 at 02:58 PM

quote:
Really? :chrongue: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=32...d=313713#pid313713
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
The donation page was online for more than a year and only about 10 people out of 2 million donated.

RE: RE: RE: CoolWWWSearch and Lop by SpecimenB on 09-30-2004 at 03:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Leif
May I quote Patchou:
"...the sponsor’s license agreement (yes, it could be redesigned to warn you better but then, nobody would install it, let’s be honest)..."

Being honest, if it had given me better warning and still let me refuse, the I would have still installed it anyway without the sponsor program.

The quote above only confirms to me that Patchou knows he's being sneaky and thus cares more for the payoff than the satisfaction of the users.

Also, as far as sponsorship goes, there are far better choices than lop. Choices that don't hijack the users' browser.

RE: CoolWWWSearch and Lop by WDZ on 09-30-2004 at 03:04 PM

quote:
Also, as far as sponsorship goes, there are far better choices than lop. Choices that don't hijack the users' browser.
People are always saying that there are better options, but I have yet to see proof of this. :-/
RE: RE: CoolWWWSearch and Lop by SpecimenB on 09-30-2004 at 03:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
People are always saying that there are better options, but I have yet to see proof of this. :-/

There's no better option than deceiving the users?

RE: CoolWWWSearch and Lop by CookieRevised on 09-30-2004 at 03:11 PM

quote:
The big problem that I see is that:
1.  People don't read the EULA, as y'all well know.
2.  The 'sponsor program' is not installed until 36 hours after Messenger Plus is installed.
3.  People who don't read the EULA cannot make the association between the install of Messenger and the sudden appearance of adware and browser hijackings.
1) true, but that is not the developpers fault or the developpers task to do something about it. The only task for the developper is to make it clear. And in this case, it IS clear, despite all the things you're trying to proof... This sounds harsh, but people need to change their attitude and start reading the contracts they sign upon (cause that is exactly what an EULA/agreement is)... For every person who comes here bitching about how the sponsor installed without they knowing about it, there are 2 persons who admit that they forgot to read the EULA or admit in accidently pressing the wrong button...

2) 24 hours.... This is a current experiment. If it turns out this is not of the likings of many people, it will be removed again. (again proofs only that Patchou is concearned about it and is doing every possible thing to try and improve it!)

3) At last a small valid point (and that is also one of the reasons why the current delay is experimental). But, unless people are installing new things every day. The associating is easy to make. Also, it has 1 big benefit! The user can decide to keep Plus! or not without any sponsor being installed during this time. If the user decides to uninstall Plus! again, nothing will happen and the sponsor wasn't even installed during that time.

quote:
Now, IF users were properly warned about what the 'sponsor program' is and does during installation
For the last time: they ARE! That is exactly why the EULA is there...

quote:
Lop.com will change your home page and search engine settings and generate pop up advertisements
read the EULA, it is clearly stated there...

quote:
Yes, fair enough, but it's not like they HAVE to do that to earn money. Plenty of other ways...
If you have a better way (which will give Patchou a steady income) then by all means share it with us, we wouldn't be happier... Patchou will be the first person to remove the sponsor if such a method existed....

quote:
I liked the software. I'd have been willing to donate.
There is always the option to buy something from the online shop. In that way you also support Messenger Plus! (without the need of the sponsor) Donation has been taken of for the reasons which you can read in the link that WDZ provided....

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Leif
May I quote Patchou:

Being honest, if it had given me better warning and still let me refuse, the I would have still installed it anyway without the sponsor program.

The quote above only confirms to me that Patchou knows he's being sneaky and thus cares more for the payoff than the satisfaction of the users.
What Patchou meant was the sponsor. People wouldn't install the sponsor anymore. And that means Patchou will loose his income, and Plus! will stop being developped because of lack of time...
RE: CoolWWWSearch and Lop by WDZ on 09-30-2004 at 03:11 PM

quote:
There's no better option than deceiving the users?
The deception is debatable, but what I meant was, if you know of something that you think is better, post it.

Patchou has put a lot of thought into this, and if there was another option that would really work, he probably would have found it by now. Nobody likes the complaints about the current sponsor...
RE: RE: CoolWWWSearch and Lop by Sam Spade on 10-01-2004 at 12:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:

Two words. Google Ads.
RE: CoolWWWSearch and Lop by WDZ on 10-01-2004 at 12:36 PM

Well, if you browse around the MsgPlus home page, you'll see that there are already advertisement banners. On http://msgplus.net/features.php for example. It's my understanding that they don't provide much money...

RE: RE: CoolWWWSearch and Lop by Sam Spade on 10-01-2004 at 01:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
Really? :chrongue: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=32...d=313713#pid313713
quote:
The donation page was online for more than a year and only about 10 people out of 2 million donated.

The same happened to me.  My website has had over 533,000 unique visitors in the past few years.  I tried Paypal and other donation streams, as did a friend of mine whose data rescue software was downloaded over 700,000 times before he gave up on paypal and started charging $5 per copy.  Better to charge a token amount than to subject users to adware and spyware.

Donations don't work because those who are looking for freeware are, by the very fact that they want it to be free, often not willing to pay anything. So, I continue to work ridiculous hours in full time employment to pay the bills, and try to support the cost of my voluntary, free to all, high end technical support (I have a family and 2 teenage kids to support) by using Google Ads which generates a nice steady stream of income without hijacking my visitor's browser, without forcing pop up ads, and without taking over home pages or search engine settings.  Sure, my income from Google Ads doesn't even cover the cost of my internet access account, but I'll be damned if I will put income before what is best for my visitors.  Free is free as far as I'm concerned, and free does not include hijacked home pages, search engines and unwanted pop up ads that advertise sometimes disreputable software.

The fact that the donation system doesn't work (welcome to the real world of freeware and shareware), is NO REASON to minimise up-front disclosure in a conscious attempt to maximise installation of the sponsor program (minimising by hiding all information in the EULA, and by hiding lop.com behind the innocuous name of "sponsor program").

Patchou KNOWS that the EULA is not being read. Patchou doesn't do anything about the problem, because (I have no choice but to assume this from his own statements) 'nobody would install it [the sponsor program]' if the installation was more 'frank' about what would happen, thereby affecting his income.  To make things worse, at no time during the installation or uninstallation of the "sponsor program" is the sponsor program given a name.  Why is that?  Is it because lop.com has such a bad name?

One telling statement by Patchou, made in what I admit was a stressful moment, is more honest, more truthful and more telling than all the manouvering and excuses and blameshifting that I see in this forum by his supporters.

Here's a free cluestick from somebody who's been there and done that.  Trying to shift blame on to users by pointing to an EULA that you all KNOW, and have known for a long time, is not being read, a situation that y'all allow to continue despite knowledge of the problem, because 'nobody would install it [the sponsor program]'  if the required changes were made, is not doing Patchou any favours. 

We know that Patchous is trying to preserve his income. Fine, let him do that, many of us have families to support and all of us deserve to earn a crust, but for god's sake wake up and smell the roses.  It is not doing your reputation, or the reputation of Patchou any good, by having him admit that there is a problem and that things could be better (on one hand) while at the same time his supporters are saying its all [the user's] fault at the same time.  The two statements do not join together.

If y'all REALLY believe that Patchou's decision is justifiable, be honest.  Don't try to shift blame when Patchou himself has acknowledged that things could be better.
RE: CoolWWWSearch and Lop by Patchou on 10-01-2004 at 11:34 PM

Of course thigns couldbe "better"... and the definition of better for most of the people who post about the sponsorwould be "no sponsor at all" or "display 3 confirmation boxes before installing".

I understand your point Sam Spade, however, you should notthat I've never said anythignabout reading the EULA. I know nobody does, and that's why it says "sponsor agreement" in bold on top of the window. That's also why I add a text explaining what's the sponsor at the beginningof the EULA and this text is translated in every language supported by Plus!... the way itworkscurrently makes a good balance between peopel who install withthesponsor and people who don't.... hundred of thousands of people install Plus! withoutits sponsor every month, I think that's proof enough that the agreement window is clear. I agree, it could be clearer but as you said yourself, if I add too many warning in this window, nobody will ever install the spnsor which defeats the whole purpose. I've always been honest about this. I don't put the blame on anybody and again, that's why I take the time to ensure that the uninstaller works like a charm.

My software is freeware and I continue to claim it because it's the truth. You don't need any serial (or crack) to make it work at its full potential and it doesn't check if the sponsor is installed before launching (like many softwares including Kazaa).

As for the ads on the web site, they cover the price of the server (if you've hosted things in the past, you can imagine what costs servers that are able todeliver between 1 and 2 Terrabyte of data every month) :).

Edit: because of all the recent posts about the sponsor and because I don't want to look like a guy who doesn't care (because wether you believe ir or not, I do), I'm going to try something new in the sponsor agreement window in version 3.21. I will make the change available for maybe 1 out of ten downlaods first and I'll see what theresults are. Of course, if thigns are better for my users, itwon't be good for my own salary but if it's not so bad, I'll keep it that way (if no one installs the sponsor with the new agreement window, I'll change it back, sorry). At least, I'm trying (and I've already tried... I don't always talk about this kind oftest publicly :)).

RE: RE: CoolWWWSearch and Lop by Sam Spade on 10-02-2004 at 06:15 AM

quote:
Edit: because of all the recent posts about the sponsor and because I don't want to look like a guy who doesn't care (because wether you believe ir or not, I do), I'm going to try something new in the sponsor agreement window in version 3.21. I will make the change available for maybe 1 out of ten downlaods first and I'll see what theresults are. Of course, if thigns are better for my users, itwon't be good for my own salary but if it's not so bad, I'll keep it that way (if no one installs the sponsor with the new agreement window, I'll change it back, sorry). At least, I'm trying (and I've already tried... I don't always talk about this kind oftest publicly :)).

I will be very interested to see what the changes are, and all credit to you for 'biting the bullet'.  But why limit it to 1 in 10 downloads?  I, for one, am not inclined to download the new version over and over and over and install over and over and over in hopes that I will be able to see, and report on, the changes. :(
RE: CoolWWWSearch and Lop by Patchou on 10-02-2004 at 07:24 AM

check out http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=32...d=315831#pid315831 :)