Shoutbox

New Virus - New Target - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: New Virus - New Target (/showthread.php?tid=32354)

New Virus - New Target by .blade// on 10-01-2004 at 02:28 PM

[Image: logo_home_top.gif]

Well as you probably know, I work @ McDonald's (:dodgy:) part time. Yesterday I was sent home from work early because the resteraunt had to be shut down. Want to know why? We were attacked by a virus/hacker. It started with the touch-screen tills acting up, then the screen that shows orders was frozen, then the server attacked itself, then the resteraunt computers, essentially, went into a lock-down. This apparently not the first time it has happened, and the motive for the attack appears to be to leach data off of the server :dodgy:. Very dodgy, but the good news is - if the resteraunt has to close for a while - I get $120/week of EI for doing jack squat :refuck:...:P (BTW, the server IS connected to the internet.)

Note:
Just in case you wanted to know, the server runs Microsoft Windows NT Server, and the tills run a revised edition of Microsoft Windows ME: Shit edition :reruck: ...:P

RE: New Virus - New Yarget by Anubis on 10-01-2004 at 03:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blade
BTW, the server IS connected to the internet
Apart from Uploading and downloading statistical information...and upgrades for the tills, I don't see a point...Seems more risk than worth it
RE: New Virus - New Yarget by user27089 on 10-01-2004 at 04:05 PM

The thing that i really don't understand is, why do they need to server to be connected to the internet, its not like people will be browsing on anything, all thats needed is a LAN with the required software on it, its a stupid idea, blade, maybe you should suggest that they don't connect it to the internet ;)

RE: New Virus - New Target by .blade// on 10-02-2004 at 01:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
The thing that i really don't understand is, why do they need to server to be connected to the internet, its not like people will be browsing on anything, all thats needed is a LAN with the required software on it, its a stupid idea, blade, maybe you should suggest that they don't connect it to the internet ;)

I know it's stupid, but they need it to read up on stuff on the internet for no apparent reason :dodgy:.
RE: New Virus - New Target by RebelSean on 10-02-2004 at 03:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by blade
[Image: logo_home_top.gif]

Well as you probably know, I work @ McDonald's (:dodgy:) part time. Yesterday I was sent home from work early because the resteraunt had to be shut down. Want to know why? We were attacked by a virus/hacker. It started with the touch-screen tills acting up, then the screen that shows orders was frozen, then the server attacked itself, then the resteraunt computers, essentially, went into a lock-down. This apparently not the first time it has happened, and the motive for the attack appears to be to leach data off of the server :dodgy:. Very dodgy, but the good news is - if the resteraunt has to close for a while - I get $120/week of EI for doing jack squat :refuck:...:P (BTW, the server IS connected to the internet.)

Note:
Just in case you wanted to know, the server runs Microsoft Windows NT Server, and the tills run a revised edition of Microsoft Windows ME: Shit edition :reruck: ...:P

Holy crap..That same exact symptoms happened at our mc donalds 4 days ago...I swear...I wsa in line about to order a double cheeseburger w/ ketchup only and it like realy freaked up bad...But to my point in this post, it was done by a 21 year old that lives 4 miles away from mc donalds...:p
RE: New Virus - New Target by CookieRevised on 10-02-2004 at 04:45 AM

quote:
all thats needed is a LAN with the required software on it
A LAN is only for a local network aka "inside the building" (not totally correct though), hence Local Area Network. You can't put up a LAN to a building that is 10 states away, or even in another country...

They proberly use the net to connect to other McDonalds affiliates and to the main office...
RE: New Virus - New Target by user27089 on 10-02-2004 at 07:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
all thats needed is a LAN with the required software on it
A LAN is only for a local network aka "inside the building" (not totally correct though), hence Local Area Network. You can't put up a LAN to a building that is 10 states away, or even in another country...

They proberly use the net to connect to other McDonalds affiliates and to the main office...

but blade said they only use it to connect to the internet to look at certain things, nothing else? But maybe you're right.

Can't they just have one pc connected to the internet? Then the whole building wouldn't be at risk constantly, just one pc, and have a firewall or whatever on it, and a lot of virus software.

Stupid Macdonalds... :banana:
RE: New Virus - New Target by CookieRevised on 10-02-2004 at 08:17 AM

Such systems require that all computers are linked to it, so that new prices, promotions, stock, etc. is updated automaticly and immediatly. This king of systems are use all over the world in almost all "net-aware" companies.

If only 1 PC was linked, then the system would be far to expensive and would actually be useless.

Of course a big and decent firewall-system needs to be in place. Also, it doesn't help if you install 10 virusscanners. Stick to 1 or 2...

Many of such attacks are done from the inside. But I'm not implying it was in this case though, only that it happens very frequently in many companies...

RE: New Virus - New Target by saralk on 10-02-2004 at 08:34 AM

cant they do something like only connect to the internet once every day, before closing down, therefore the shop isnt exposed all the time.

RE: New Virus - New Target by Chrono on 10-02-2004 at 08:58 AM

what about intranet then? :P

RE: New Virus - New Target by .blade// on 10-02-2004 at 02:36 PM

quote:
Can't they just have one pc connected to the internet?

Let me put it this way - if they had another PC in there, there would be no room left to work - it's too fucking small as it is...:dodgy: