Shoutbox

MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA (/showthread.php?tid=32404)

MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by RaceProUK on 10-02-2004 at 07:43 PM

Must be damned popular...
[Image: attachment.php?pid=316064]
I'm on a 10meg connection.

Find it on mess.be.

RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by user27089 on 10-02-2004 at 07:45 PM

its been online for a couple of days now

http://www.plasticangels.com

for review, screenshots, download

yours stigmata

RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by Mnjul on 10-02-2004 at 07:46 PM

Before anyone else posts: I bet the current Plus! version (3.20.100) is not compatible with the one on mess.be. Just don't bother telling us about this :) I myself will moderate all the kind of post away.

Edit: Wait... the file is named 7.0.250 but it's actually 205 right?

For now we shall just listen to Patchou so please do not post any download links, thanks.

RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by Vilkku on 10-02-2004 at 07:46 PM

When someone gets it, I have a few questions:

1) Will it install over Messenger 6 or can you have both 6 and 7 BETA installed at the same time?

2) Does it work with Plus! at this time?

RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by user27089 on 10-02-2004 at 07:47 PM

plus will not be compatible becuase patchou has a version gate, if it is not a recognizable version, it will not hook

and yes you can install over 6.2, and i doubt u will be able to use both at the same time

-stigmata

RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by RaceProUK on 10-02-2004 at 07:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
its been online for a couple of days now
w00t for mess.be being behind again... :dodgy:
RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by user27089 on 10-02-2004 at 07:48 PM

aint there fault. its just come up in the news today......

RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by Dane on 10-02-2004 at 07:55 PM

Yep, its now available. At request of certain people, I have not published a link here but if you know my site you can get it there :).

RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by Mike on 10-02-2004 at 07:57 PM

Yeah it spread out very quickly...

quote:
Originally posted by traxor

and yes you can install over 6.2, and i doubt u will be able to use both at the same time
You mean that i wont be able to use msn 6? :shocked:

Off-topic: raceprouk:
Is this a download manager for your browser or a P2P client?
If P2P which one?

RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by humanreflect on 10-02-2004 at 07:58 PM

I hope patchou makes the msg plus work,with msn 7 soon :(

RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by Tweaksoft on 10-02-2004 at 07:59 PM

there is another mirror

removed

It's a Dutch site, (yet under construction). but just click Download Nu: Msn Messenger

RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by spokes on 10-02-2004 at 08:06 PM

i have it, it rules, no Plus! tho :'( i am so terribly upset

RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by MessEnGer on 10-02-2004 at 08:11 PM

Isnt it more easier to find than messenger 6 beta was ??

quote:
Originally posted by MessEnGer
[thread http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=32312 ]but obviously will be leaked by someone or the other (according to me ms has a hand it )

well everyone will surely have a beta version before the final version

told you so :p (although it came out earlier then i thought)

now the time is not far thatr everyone (well almost)

will have it :)

its cool though :)
RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by Dane on 10-02-2004 at 08:14 PM

IMPORTANT: MSN Messenger 7.0 is BETA software, which means it was not released for the general public to use and may still have flaws ("bugs") in it.  Use it at your own risk!

If you visit any of the sites with the link, PLEASE consider that warning, Messenger Plus! 3.20 DOES NOT function on this copy, Patchou is aware.

RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by Menthix on 10-02-2004 at 08:16 PM

Patchou is already been mailed about Plus! not working yet on MSN7. He knows and is already working on it but i do not expect a fix to be released before the final release of MSN 7. As long as you can't download MSN 7 on http://messenger.msn.com/ then don't expect it to work with Messenger Plus! or run stable

quote:
Thank you very much for the beta Jae... I'll start working on it today :)

Patch

-----Original Message-----
Sent: October 2, 2004 2:30 PM
To: Patchou (xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
Subject: MSN Messenger 7 - First leak confirmed - Installer Included

Hey,

Just wana tell you the first version of MSN Messenger 7 got leaked.
Don't know if you already seen any of it. But i included the installer
for your pleasure. Looks like Plus! needs updating, i know don't like to
program plus! on a beta msn, but you could do some early tests anyway :)

Didn't see that much of it yet, just have it like 5 minutes. But it's
real for sure, everyone is talking about it on irc now.
- MenthiX

RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by ~INVASION~ on 10-02-2004 at 08:20 PM

sooooooooooooooooooo slow is there any other mirrors that might not be as flooded with ppl downloading it

RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by Mnjul on 10-02-2004 at 08:24 PM

I don't think asking for mirrors is appropriate either. :)

RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by Dane on 10-02-2004 at 08:24 PM

Mines not being flooded...I cant post a link to, if you know my site address though just go there, its in the announcements.

RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by user13774 on 10-02-2004 at 08:27 PM

*hint* His sig *hint*

Well whatever. I'll try the beta myself on another pc. Don't want my msn 6 to be overwritten. Cuz if you uninstall 7 and want to install 6.2 again you have to add all ur dp's and custuom emo's right?

RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by ddunk on 10-02-2004 at 08:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Markus
*hint* His sig *hint*

Well whatever. I'll try the beta myself on another pc. Don't want my msn 6 to be overwritten. Cuz if you uninstall 7 and want to install 6.2 again you have to add all ur dp's and custuom emo's right?

Nope, my DPs and CEs are still here after uninstalling  and reinstalled 6.2 :)
RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by spokes on 10-02-2004 at 08:29 PM

lol, nudge a messenger 6x contact, spellin mistake found!

You cannot sent a Nudge to your contact because he or she is using an older version of Messenger.

RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by RebelSean on 10-02-2004 at 08:36 PM

Wow...I have it, and im not leaking it either...:dodgy:...Anyways im not using it because it sucks...It reminds me of yahoo messenger :|..Anyways, the reason I ain't using it, is cause it freezs sooooooo easily, plus dont work :cry:, and the fact that all my display, custum emoticons, and backgrounds are not included when using that version....

But tis a nice build tho!

RE: RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by GJ-tje on 10-02-2004 at 09:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by spokes25
lol, nudge a messenger 6x contact, spellin mistake found!

You cannot sent a Nudge to your contact because he or she is using an older version of Messenger.

And where would the mistake be? I don't see it... ;)

And why are you posting that here? The forums around here, aren't about MSN Messenger's development itself... It's about Plus!... :D
RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by Dane on 10-02-2004 at 09:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Microsoft MSN Messenger 7

should be...

You cannot send a Nudge to your contact because he or she is using an older version of Messenger.

RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by spokes on 10-02-2004 at 09:28 PM

the mistake is senT it should be send, i dont know why i posted it here

RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by sizedude on 10-02-2004 at 09:54 PM

It doesn’t look like theirs animated DP :@. I would have thought there would be more in MSN 7 then that, not to impressed. Better then 6 though

RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by Dane on 10-02-2004 at 10:26 PM

Theres "Regular Pictures" and "Deluxe Pictures"....I dont know what the diff. is except that MSN Messenger 6 pictures are classified as Regular and there is nothing in the Deluxe category.

RE: RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by Grand Edgemaster on 10-02-2004 at 10:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by sizedude
It doesn’t look like theirs animated DP :@. I would have thought there would be more in MSN 7 then that, not to impressed.

Remember that its only a BETA and not all features are implimented yet (deluxe dps, get more.. links, etc)

Deluxe dps will be animated i think
quote:
mess.be
Animated display pictures, officially called Deluxe Display Pictures. The new help files clearly tell us the following: Impress your friends with a custom, animated avatar. So this makes animated avatars 100% official. We can even tell you how to select a animated avatar in MSN Messenger 6.2:

1. In the main MSN Messenger window, click the Tools menu, and then click Change Display Picture.
The My Display Picture window opens.
2. Scroll to the Deluxe Pictures list.
3. Select a picture from the list, and then click OK.

UPDATE: The so-called deluxe display pictures aka animated avatars are most probably going to be an integrated version of the Korean MSN PowerPlus instead of 100% customizable avatars similar to the display pictures.

RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by ddunk on 10-02-2004 at 10:30 PM

I attempted to add a short, 4 frame animated DP and it just came out as a 96x96 DP divided into 4 parts with each quarter holding one frame :undecided:

RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by Grand Edgemaster on 10-02-2004 at 10:36 PM

I tried this with a 25 frame gif and it showed first 3 frames but narrowed.

I found this too refering to deluxe display pics:

quote:
Source: MSN Messenger 7 Help - MSN Messenger 7 Beta Help
Dynamic display pictures change automatically according to your mood.

1. Click the Tools menu, and then click Change Display Picture. (If menu choices don't appear at the top of your window, you may have hidden your window frame. Click in the upper left corner, or press ALT to restore it.)
   2. Click Create a Dynamic Display Picture.
   3. On the MSN partner site, create and download (Copy a program or file from another location, such as the Internet, to your computer.) the dynamic display picture you want to use. The picture will be automatically installed.

Notes

* Some features may not be available in your country or region.
    * If you have billing problems or questions when purchasing MSN Messenger components or services from an MSN content partner, you must contact the content provider directly: Click the Help menu, point to Billing Support, and then click the component or service that you would like billing assistance with. MSN Product Support cannot resolve billing issues with other companies.
    * MSN Messenger components purchased from MSN content partners can only be used on the same computer and with the same Passport account with which they were purchased.
    * You can block others from seeing your display picture. Click the Tools menu, and then click Options. In the left pane, click Personal. Clear the Show my Display Picture and allow others to see it check box.
    * You can block display pictures from other people. Click the Tools menu, and then click Options. In the left pane, click Personal. Clear the Show display picture from others check box.

Microsoft is sooo confusing (see below)
RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by CookieRevised on 10-02-2004 at 10:58 PM

Must Read Note about the "Animated Display Pictures"

This is to all who are waiting and freaking on the "integration" of the "Animated Display Pictures"...

The "Animated Display Pictures" will NOT be the thing you expect!!!! Heck, it isn't "Animated Display Pictures" but Deluxe Display Pictures!!!!

Everybody is expecting that you can use an animated GIF instead of a regular GIF or PNG. This will NOT be the case!

So don't go like "MSN lied, they said they were gonna include this and they didn't"...

Also see here: CookieRevised's reply to suggestion for new plus version!

RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by Jolo on 10-02-2004 at 11:18 PM

No Messenger Plus!, no MSN Messenger 7 for me at now.

Waiting for Patchou to release an update, while I'm still using MSN Messenger 6.2.

RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by 4ke. on 10-02-2004 at 11:50 PM

works fine for me can't wait for the update of the plus!  :D

RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by chris on 10-03-2004 at 01:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Jolo
Waiting for Patchou to release an update,
quote:
Originally posted by 4ke.
works fine for me can't wait for the update of the plus!   
quote:
Originally posted by Str.
quote:
Originally posted by Jolo
No Messenger Plus!, no MSN Messenger 7 for me at now.

Waiting for Patchou to release an update, while I'm still using MSN Messenger 6.2.

So do I.
just so you know it could be awile so hope you can be pacient
RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by Chop on 10-03-2004 at 01:59 AM

Oh man, i cant see when someone uses big images, they lock in the standar size :(

RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by RebelSean on 10-03-2004 at 03:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by gerardo_cm2
Oh man, i cant see when someone uses big images, they lock in the standar size :(

That is because msn 7.0 is not compatable with messenger plus! therefore making the plugins not work..:)
RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by matty on 10-03-2004 at 04:19 AM

Beta: http://messenger.msn-int.com/SetupNT.msi

RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by banky on 10-03-2004 at 04:21 AM

just a question but if we download and install beta will be sued by microsoft

RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by matty on 10-03-2004 at 04:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by The Don
just a question but if we download and install beta will be sued by microsoft
No that wont happen, now if you resell it then yes.
RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by ~*McoreD*~ on 10-03-2004 at 04:52 AM

Immediately downgraded to version 6.2 after realizing Messenger Plus! doesn't work. lol.

RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by Pr0xY on 10-03-2004 at 05:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by GJ-tje
And why are you posting that here? The forums around here, aren't about MSN Messenger's development itself... It's about Plus!... :D
No it isn't.  Why else is there a Tech Talk thread, a MSN/Messenger thread, and a Testing and Trashing thread?  Let the guy post, without you commenting on it. 
RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by Mike on 10-03-2004 at 05:32 AM

Just a question:
Will it overwrite MSN 6 ?

RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by banky on 10-03-2004 at 05:40 AM

yes it will unless u do wut the person in a previous thread did  :D

RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by -dt- on 10-03-2004 at 05:40 AM

mike2 it probly will because thats what all the other msn versions have done so i wouldnt expect this one to change. anyway i wont be installing it for a while anyway , i dont like how your dp is the same size as your contacts and quite a few other things like nudges would get annoying + i cant live without plus

RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by illuzn on 10-03-2004 at 07:06 AM

-dt-: you can change the size of your and ur contacts dp to small like it originally was... problem solved.

also people may notice custom tabs don't work anymore... never fear daniel has released a new patch Tabserve patch for msn messenger 7 to make tabs work with it... and it removes the search box too...

now all we need is an ad patch and plus! and i'd like the new client...

btw.. to all those who don't like winks and nudges... they can be turned off in the options under the messages tab.

RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by Mike on 10-03-2004 at 07:30 AM

How to keep your "Display Pictures", "Custom Emoticons" and "Backgrounds" in Msn 7:

1) Install Msn 7.
2) Sing in.
3) Exit messenger (singing out isn't enough! You have to right click msn from the tray icon and click "Exit")
4) Click Start -> Run and type "%appdata%" (without the quotes) .
5) Open the folder named "Microsoft" and then the one named "MSN Messenger" (not "MSN Messenger Beta!")
6) Select all the folders.
7) Press "Ctrl + C" on your keyboard
8) Click the "Back" or "Up" button
9) Goto the folder named "MSN Messenger Beta" this time
10) Press "Ctrl + V" on your keyboard
11) Open msn  7
12) Sing in.

You should see all your dps, ces and backgrounds there! :D

Good lucK!

Edit: I found out that my custom emoticons where not transfered!
But the DPs and Backgrounds where transfered ;)

RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by TheDude on 10-03-2004 at 10:04 AM

Polygamy doesnt work, you get a connection error when you try to sign in on your second account.

RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by CookieRevised on 10-03-2004 at 10:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by TheDude
Polygamy doesnt work, you get a connection error when you try to sign in on your second account.
There are some different polygamy patches and most are version specific. So don't expect that all the patches work with this beta. Anyways, it might be good if you provided exactly what polygamy patch (exact name and version or download location) you've used...

And on mess.be and neowin.net there are already tons of polygamy patches which do work on Messenger 7.
RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by riahc4 on 10-03-2004 at 01:34 PM

quote:
RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA

Must Read Note about the "Animated Display Pictures"

This is to all who are waiting and freaking on the "integration" of the "Animated Display Pictures"...

The "Animated Display Pictures" will NOT be the thing you expect!!!! Heck, it isn't "Animated Display Pictures" but Deluxe Display Pictures!!!!

Everybody is expecting that you can use an animated GIF instead of a regular GIF or PNG. This will NOT be the case!

So don't go like "MSN lied, they said they were gonna include this and they didn't"...

Why are you so negitive? the point of DDPs are that they are animated. And if you say they wont be animated please post a source so u can prove it

Another thing can this Messenger 7 be installed over Messenger 6.2 the after trying it out reinstall 6.2 over it?
RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by Twan on 10-03-2004 at 02:16 PM

I will only download it when the real version is there on the dutch msn site.. not earlier :)...

also If there is I still wait untill msgplus has a new version for it... because msn is useless for me without msgplus :)

RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by ayjay on 10-03-2004 at 02:43 PM

I'm confused about deluxe d/p. In the d/p panel thing I can see all the regular pics but none under the deluxe section. I clicked change d/p like someone posted but I see nothing to do with deluxe ones.

RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by Guido on 10-03-2004 at 02:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by riahc4
And if you say they wont be animated please post a source so u can prove it
Err... shouldn't you post a source to prove they "will" be animated, since their name says "deluxe", not "animated"? :rolleyes:
RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by CookieRevised on 10-03-2004 at 04:41 PM

quote:
Why are you so negitive? the point of DDPs are that they are animated. And if you say they wont be animated please post a source so u can prove it
I did not say they were not animated! I said they wont be the thing that you think it will be. And I'm not negative, I'm stating a fact. And for more details see the link that I posted in my previous post (I suggest you to read it and follow the links and references given there; I'm not going to repeat everything here what has been said months ago in dedicated threads).
RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by dragon2611 on 10-03-2004 at 08:25 PM

the winks dont work on my desktop pc it keeps saying i needs to install the latest flash player

thing is ive already done that and its still happening

RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by riahc4 on 10-03-2004 at 08:43 PM

quote:
I did not say they were not animated! I said they wont be the thing that you think it will be. And I'm not negative, I'm stating a fact. And for more details see the link that I posted in my previous post (I suggest you to read it and follow the links and references given there; I'm not going to repeat everything here what has been said months ago in dedicated threads).

OK but how do you know they arnt the thing im thinking they're gonna be? I belive your post on the threads was that MSN Server system couldnt do animated DPs (correct me if im wrong...) If thats the case then MSN could changed the system a bit you know. Like they did for the non grouped contacts in our contact lists.
RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by DarKnight on 10-03-2004 at 08:49 PM

I noticed lvback.gif doesn't work anymore. :(

RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by CookieRevised on 10-03-2004 at 08:53 PM

quote:
OK but how do you know they arnt the thing im thinking they're gonna be? I belive your post on the threads was that MSN Server system couldnt do animated DPs (correct me if im wrong...) If thats the case then MSN could changed the system a bit you know. Like they did for the non grouped contacts in our contact lists.
I'm sorry but no that has nothing todo with it... So reread the post again and follow all the given links before posting further on this subject. It is briefly but clearly stated what they actually are and how they work. If you want to know more details follow the given links in that post...
RE: RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by lotacus on 10-03-2004 at 11:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dragon2611
the winks dont work on my desktop pc it keeps saying i needs to install the latest flash player

thing is ive already done that and its still happening

it's because you've installed some hack that modified msn messenger 7. I installed the mess.be games pack thing and the winks wouldn't work. I then uninstalled it and they work fine now.
RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by siebe on 10-04-2004 at 07:59 AM

DPs ARE animated Gifs, they only loop once. Send a GIF over the protocol and it will show it, but it DOESNT animate.. Yet. I think that either the support hasnt been finished yet or de MSN Object should be changed somehow in order to make it animate.

Animated GIFs are also used for animated emoticons (They work!). If you add one itll show up crap to you, but the other contact sees it animated. Can also easily be done using the protocol, just send a GIF instead of a PNG.

Winks can be exploited -- The code in the Flash files is unprotected, anyone with a bit knowledge can run any actionscripting on your PC as they like. Someone made a patch that disables every P2P crap using memory, but mind you, that also disables DP/s and everything. I suggest you use a Hex Editor and simply change the GUID's of the INVITEs used for transferring Winks (So Messenger will decline them as it does not know what it is).

MSGR7 has a lot of bugs, but overall its a very nice beta. Too bad some stuff hasnt been finished yet. But oh well, can't have everythiing now, can we ;)

RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by Stijn on 10-04-2004 at 02:52 PM

I think that the beta they are gonna release is going to be called msn messenger 6.8 or msn messenger 7.0 without the beta and then call the one that is going to relaesed in 2005 7.2 or 7.<something> cause they told me that they don't release public beta's @ least that's what i heard!!

RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by marissa on 10-04-2004 at 03:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Stijn
cause they told me that they don't release public beta's @ least that's what i heard!!

It wasnt released as a public beta, it was leaked by some non-trustworthy person. If microsoft picked you to be a beta tester, wouldnt you feel good about that and not ruin their trust for you?:S
RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by LuCkEy_BoY on 10-04-2004 at 04:02 PM

why dont you do a little plugin for Msg Plus 3! just to work with MSN 7.0 BETA? :$

I know that can have some bugs but at least work... :^)

RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by VuDu on 10-04-2004 at 09:41 PM

ai ai essa tshirt tao linda no avatar ;)

well i dont think anyone is willing to develope such a plugin since patchou already announced he was working on a v3.21 compatible with the 7.0 beta ;)

RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by CookieRevised on 10-04-2004 at 11:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by LuCkEy_BoY
why dont you do a little plugin for Msg Plus 3! just to work with MSN 7.0 BETA? I know that can have some bugs but at least work...
see and read: "Plus! and Messenger 7"

quote:
Originally posted by VuDu
well i dont think anyone is willing to develope such a plugin since patchou already announced he was working on a v3.21 compatible with the 7.0 beta
Nobody, except Patchou, can make Plus compatible.
RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by Jolo on 10-05-2004 at 01:17 AM

WARNING!

MSN Messenger 7 Beta, exploited

As MSN Messenger 7 goes into private beta, Neowin has learned of several exploits resulting in the "winks" feature of MSN Messenger 7. A Neowin member wishing to remain anonymous has alerted us that users can generate their own flash movies and send them across MSN Messenger. As flash movies can open other things on the system such as Internet Explorer, this could be fatal. As MSN Messenger 7 is only beta and isn't available publically this isn't a major exploit but it does show that added features to a product like this makes it less secure and more open to attack/exploit.

MSN Messenger 7 is beta and is available in copies floating around the internet. We strongly advise members not to use the current beta until this flaw has been resolved. MSN Messenger 7 effectively opens your system up to allow a hacker to run numerous tasks on your machine.

We ask members not to post any exploit code or how to exploit MSN Messenger 7, thank you.

http://www.neowin.net/comments.php?id=24625&category=main

RE: RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by Fredzz on 10-05-2004 at 04:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by siebe
DPs ARE animated Gifs, they only loop once. Send a GIF over the protocol and it will show it, but it DOESNT animate.. Yet. I think that either the support hasnt been finished yet or de MSN Object should be changed somehow in order to make it animate.

Animated GIFs are also used for animated emoticons (They work!). If you add one itll show up crap to you, but the other contact sees it animated. Can also easily be done using the protocol, just send a GIF instead of a PNG.

Winks can be exploited -- The code in the Flash files is unprotected, anyone with a bit knowledge can run any actionscripting on your PC as they like. Someone made a patch that disables every P2P crap using memory, but mind you, that also disables DP/s and everything. I suggest you use a Hex Editor and simply change the GUID's of the INVITEs used for transferring Winks (So Messenger will decline them as it does not know what it is).

MSGR7 has a lot of bugs, but overall its a very nice beta. Too bad some stuff hasnt been finished yet. But oh well, can't have everythiing now, can we ;)

yep they only play once.. i hope this will be fixed :lol:
RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by Fredzz on 10-05-2004 at 03:01 PM

OMG OMG :o i can have any size emoticon animated and all.. for some reason..theres one emoticon that loops dunno why... ill atach it..its from DA..does it only loops with me??

RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by BooGhost on 10-05-2004 at 10:54 PM

it's a bug :P,  your contact gets it resized to 19x19 pixels

it'll be surely fixed :P

RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by ~INVASION~ on 10-06-2004 at 06:23 AM

heres something i seen that was weird i used a code in my name and this is what it showed after i tested it
notice the IMsecure is typing a msg watsup with that anybody know??
[Image: attachment.php?pid=317495]

RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by Chop on 10-06-2004 at 06:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ~INVASION~
heres something i seen that was weird i used a code in my name and this is what it showed after i tested it
notice the IMsecure is typing a msg watsup with that anybody know??
[Image: attachment.php?pid=317495]
Man.. Thas really weird :S.!
RE: RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by n[i]tro on 10-06-2004 at 07:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by gerardo_cm2Man.. Thas really weird :S.!

I think its a program the other user is using, I see it with a guy I know and him only - regardless of if I have a random ascii character in my nickname or not
RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by ~INVASION~ on 10-06-2004 at 07:18 AM

well the other guy was my brother who is not running a weird program because he is on his xp file just switched users and im on if that made sence:P

but it only seems to happen when i put codes in my name:S

RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by ~INVASION~ on 10-06-2004 at 07:25 AM

heres another bug me and this contact are both set to away and this is what it shows in the yellow bar
[Image: attachment.php?pid=317509]

im startin to :spam: here [Image: hide.gif]

RE: RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by n[i]tro on 10-06-2004 at 07:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ~INVASION~
well the other guy was my brother who is not running a weird program because he is on his xp file just switched users and im on if that made sence:P

but it only seems to happen when i put codes in my name:S

Well IMSecure is software (http://www.broderbund.com/product.asp?OID=4155265 )

but yeah it should display all the time I would have thought shrug - but its not limited to being displayed in MSN 7, ive seen it in 6.2
RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by ~INVASION~ on 10-06-2004 at 07:36 AM

TADA!! thx so much i was wonderin what it was

i just got zone alarm so that explains it all :)

(now i gotta figure out how to use it:P)

RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by Sherro on 10-06-2004 at 09:50 AM

Hey i just found something out all of a sudden my msn7 started telling me when pple close or open the convo window!!

fat pizza says:
«I has joined the conversation window.»
[Image: untitled686.th.jpg]

RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by CookieRevised on 10-06-2004 at 10:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Sherro
Hey i just found something out all of a sudden my msn7 started telling me when pple close or open the convo window!!
That isn't Messenger 7. That is "fat pizza" using Messenger Plus! and the /me command.

He himself typed:
  /me has joined the conversation window
And since you don't have Plus!, you see it as:
  «I has joined the conversation window.»
instead of
  fat pizza has joined the conversation window.

And a notification for starting a conversation would come before the conversation window is openend. (Otherwise it would not make much sense to be notified)
RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by Sherro on 10-06-2004 at 11:11 AM

he dosnt have Plus! i got rid of msn7 reinstalled 6.2 and done the /ping command, to get no reply i have also asked him if he has Plus! and he asked what the hell it is, this has also happened exactally on another contact wich i helped install msn yesterday and he too dosnt have Plus!, srry if this sounds like flameing, its not :D

RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by CookieRevised on 10-06-2004 at 01:24 PM

It IS a Plus! message. Getting no reply to a ping doesn't mean anything: It can be dissabled. It is NOT from MSN Messenger 7, but a simple command (/me) used with Plus!. These are facts...
Believe what you want though...

RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by Daninku on 10-06-2004 at 06:02 PM

Hey Guys, I was brwosing on the net and searching and found this article,  I was shocked :|

Anyone running MSN Messenger V7.0 build 0205 will need to downgrade. If you do not downgrade, you will be unable to sign into the Messenger service. We're unsure whether this will effect other builds.

This paragraph is copied from here: http://www.neowin.net/comments.php?category=main&id=24668

which is a website with recent updated news about software.  Just take a look and read the whole article.

RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by benjyrama on 10-06-2004 at 07:25 PM

yeh, i heard bout this, tho, without msn plus messenger 7 is nothing really

RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by Gin on 10-06-2004 at 09:51 PM

I read somewhere around here that there is a way of getting to "nudge" continually on msn7, without having to wait. Can somebody tell me how, please??

RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by BlackStar on 10-06-2004 at 11:29 PM

I just saw this on Winbeta.org

After what seemed to be the shortest Microsoft leak, Microsoft has put an end to MSN Messenger 7 beta toll, for now.

After about a few weeks of the leak, no more users can login to MSN Messenger 7 anymore. If you try, you will get a prompt asking to upgrade to a newer version of Messenger, which in terms is a downgrade, to 6.2. You will have to un-install version 7.0 to re-install 6.2, as you will get an error about a later version of messenger already installed on your computer. It is said that Microsoft will ship the next beta, without the winks and nudges. After the wink exploit, many downgraded to 6.2. Read more here. More info will be posted, on MSN Messenger 7 BETA.

News source: WinBeta

RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by RebelSean on 10-06-2004 at 11:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BlackStar

After what seemed to be the shortest Microsoft leak, Microsoft has put an end to MSN Messenger 7 beta toll, for now.

After about a few weeks of the leak, no more users can login to MSN Messenger 7 anymore. If you try, you will get a prompt asking to upgrade to a newer version of Messenger, which in terms is a downgrade, to 6.2. You will have to un-install version 7.0 to re-install 6.2, as you will get an error about a later version of messenger already installed on your computer. It is said that Microsoft will ship the next beta, without the winks and nudges. After the wink exploit, many downgraded to 6.2. Read more here. More info will be posted, on MSN Messenger 7 BETA.

Already a workaround for this: http://forum.mess.be/index.php?showtopic=846
RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by Gin on 10-06-2004 at 11:33 PM

What are the winks exploits?

I've had no problems at all running the beta version, and have not come across this error yet, either.

RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by RebelSean on 10-06-2004 at 11:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Gin

I've had no problems at all running the beta version, and have not come across this error yet, either.

Wink Exploits are:
quote:
As MSN Messenger 7 goes into private beta, Neowin has learned of several exploits resulting in the "winks" feature of MSN Messenger 7. A Neowin member wishing to remain anonymous has alerted us that users can generate their own flash movies and send them across MSN Messenger. As flash movies can open other things on the system such as Internet Explorer, this could be fatal. As MSN Messenger 7 is only beta and isn't available publically this isn't a major exploit but it does show that added features to a product like this makes it less secure and more open to attack/exploit.

[source:http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=32520&pid=317060]
RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by Lt.Col.DraGon on 10-07-2004 at 12:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Gin

The BETA is now not working... u must return to 6.2 now because they are bunch of idiots that dont let us to use 7.0 at our own risks. When im signing in it tells me that i must insatll a newer version of MSN but i guess that it will just get you back to 6.2. Im really pissed off
RE: RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by Sherro on 10-07-2004 at 12:35 AM

quote:

The BETA is now not working... u must return to 6.2 now because they are bunch of idiots that dont let us to use 7.0 at our own risks. When im signing in it tells me that i must insatll a newer version of MSN but i guess that it will just get you back to 6.2. Im really pissed off

EDIT: Patchou has removed the link and i dont want to get introuble spreading it :$
RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by Protocol on 10-07-2004 at 02:28 AM

How much trouble could u get into? :S

RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by Sherro on 10-07-2004 at 02:55 AM

i dont know lol i spose if any1 wants it they can ask me

RE: RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by Hank on 10-07-2004 at 03:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Sherro
i dont know lol i spose if any1 wants it they can ask me

why would any1 want a Beta anyway? even though i had it, i wasnt gonna install it for the reasons that were posted warning users of security  flaws etc in the beta.
RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by izcool on 10-07-2004 at 04:20 AM

This is a bug that I had found in MSN Messenger 7.  I don't believe that anyone has reported it yet, other than me.

When I right-click on a contact who is offline, I get a series of options - 3 of which are separated into expanding menus.

The only disabled one is "Audio/Video".

The two that are enabled, "Send Other" and "Group Options" are expandable, but nothing inside them are enabled.

Why would they disable one from being expanded and the other two from not ?

[Image: msnlist2_JPG.t.jpg]

My $0.02.  :)

- Mike.

RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by matty on 10-07-2004 at 04:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by izcool
This is a bug that I had found in MSN Messenger 7.  I don't believe that anyone has reported it yet, other than me.

When I right-click on a contact who is offline, I get a series of options - 3 of which are separated into expanding menus.

The two that are enabled, "Send Other" and "Group Options" are expandable, but nothing inside them are enabled.

- Mike.
Sorry to report that it is not a bug. It is the way the menu is coded. Cause what happens if they are offline but have a Mobile number there, if you disable Send Other when the contact is offline then you wont be able to send a message to a mobile device. I hope you get what I mean.

Contact Offline - No Mobile Number
--> No options available in Send Others

Contact Offline - With Mobile Number
--> Send Message to Mobil Device.

See they wont disable the entire menu because of that, this just disable the ones accordinly to the contact.
RE: RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by izcool on 10-07-2004 at 05:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Matty.
quote:
Originally posted by izcool

- Mike.
Sorry to report that it is not a bug. It is the way the menu is coded. Cause what happens if they are offline but have a Mobile number there, if you disable Send Other when the contact is offline then you wont be able to send a message to a mobile device. I hope you get what I mean.

Contact Offline - No Mobile Number
--> No options available in Send Others

Contact Offline - With Mobile Number
--> Send Message to Mobil Device.

See they wont disable the entire menu because of that, this just disable the ones accordinly to the contact.

That could very well be.  I don't think it would take a lot of effort or time to write a few extra codes to see if they have a Mobile Phone, then enable the menu to be expanded.  I never would have thought of that.  ;)

- Mike.
RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by Stijn on 10-07-2004 at 03:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BlackStar

all you have to do is start msn explorer and sign in and you get signed in on msn messenger 7 also if it is running!! really simple

RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by benjyrama on 10-07-2004 at 06:18 PM

if u really want to carry on using msn 7 u can go to mess.be and download the cvr patch thats been posted. It should be somewhere in the latest news about carry on using msn 7

RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by find_your_spot on 10-07-2004 at 09:09 PM

But how dangerous is it now to use msn messenger 7 ?

RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by matty on 10-07-2004 at 09:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by find_your_spot
To be honest, with all the exploits and bugs in the software that alone wouldn't make it safe. I suggest using MSN Messenger 6.2 until the final release of MSN Messenger 7
RE: RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by find_your_spot on 10-08-2004 at 10:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Matty.
quote:
Originally posted by find_your_spot
To be honest, with all the exploits and bugs in the software that alone wouldn't make it safe. I suggest using MSN Messenger 6.2 until the final release of MSN Messenger 7

a friend of my said that using a hardware firewall is enough.
but is that true?
RE: MSN Messenger 7.0.0250 BETA by Stijn on 10-08-2004 at 01:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by marissa
quote:
Originally posted by Stijn
cause they told me that they don't release public beta's @ least that's what i heard!!

It wasnt released as a public beta, it was leaked by some non-trustworthy person. If microsoft picked you to be a beta tester, wouldnt you feel good about that and not ruin their trust for you?:S

duh i know that but that they wont release a public beta later on!!