Shoutbox

Emergency Announcement to Developers - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Emergency Announcement to Developers (/showthread.php?tid=32407)

Emergency Announcement to Developers by jon on 10-02-2004 at 08:33 PM

TRADITIONAL PROXY SUPPORT HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM MSN MESSENGER

MSN Messenger 7 BETA has now been leaked.

Support for traditional proxying of data has seemingly been REMOVED. Any application that relied on modifying the "Server" key of HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger in order to proxy the data will no longer function whatsoever as this registry key has been [probably permanently] removed

I am developing a workaround for this issue. It may or may not be released open-source once it is complete. For additional information, please email me or add me to MSN Messenger with my email address jonathan[at]xeomax.net

To clarify, applications such as Messenger:Discovery will probably NOT work with MSN Messenger (although not tested). i would just like to clarify this is not connected with Messenger Plus! issues with MSN Messenger 7.

I look forward to hearing from any developers interested in a workaround to this issue.

Regards,

jon
Developer of Dimension (an MSN Messenger application made defunct by these changes)

RE: Emergency Announcement to Developers by eckocomplex on 10-03-2004 at 02:10 AM

That information is true, to a certian extent.

I feel it's my duty to say that MD will NOT work. Actually dude, it does. Just that nothing will work because MD is abondoned after the first session with the switchboard is closed...

RE: Emergency Announcement to Developers by RaceProUK on 10-03-2004 at 08:20 AM

That kinda scuppers my plans for Project RP too...

RE: Emergency Announcement to Developers by Millenium_edition on 10-03-2004 at 08:51 AM

goodbye useful add-ons...

RE: Emergency Announcement to Developers by Patchou on 10-03-2004 at 09:03 AM

quote:
goodbye useful add-ons...
Errr... thank you :p
RE: Emergency Announcement to Developers by riley on 10-03-2004 at 09:41 AM

"well never give up hope and keep your head up high" was the best advice i once had so i pass it on to you guys! ;) :never give up hope and keep your head up high!

RE: Emergency Announcement to Developers by jon on 10-03-2004 at 11:06 AM

I have been contacted by effekt of Messenger Discovery and we are collaborating on a fix to this issue... I will post additional information here that may be of use to the end-user or to other developers.

This is certainly a great hurdle to overcome, but I have confidence it can and will be completed. Soon. I have received word that MSN Messenger 7 will not be out until February 2005 which gives us plenty of time to work on a fix and have working BETA applications out by then that function with MSN Messenger 7.

RE: Emergency Announcement to Developers by Shadows_death69 on 10-04-2004 at 12:19 AM

So you guys are sordive saying, there may never be hope for Plus! or MD or any add-ons again... micro$oft you bitches! I hope bill gates dies. I'm sticking with Msn 6.0

RE: Emergency Announcement to Developers by CookieRevised on 10-04-2004 at 12:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Shadows_death69
So you guys are sordive saying, there may never be hope for Plus! or MD or any add-ons again... micro$oft you bitches! I hope bill gates dies. I'm sticking with Msn 6.0
No, they didn't...
1) never generalize! This is how rumours and untrue statements are started
2) Eventually there will be a workaround
3) Messenger Plus! doesn't use a proxy at all, so there is no problem there. Patchou had always stated that he wanted to do things in a certain (safe) way and thus would never include the use of a proxy, and this pays of now...
RE: Emergency Announcement to Developers by ipab on 10-04-2004 at 01:55 AM

this is sum real progress, for sum weird reason i am able to use messenger discovery (upto sum extent) ie sign in as webmessenger, tell when sumone opens a convo with me.

Its really random but its hapening more and more often now (me being able to use it).

I am  enclosing screenshots and MessengerDiscovery Debug info for further help :D

EDIT: looks like i cant upload the file, I wonder if i can convince chrono to do it :S, looks like he cant either :(

and way here is the external link to it http://ipab.kaonet.net/wtf.rar

RE: Emergency Announcement to Developers by jon on 10-04-2004 at 11:51 AM

We are having slow progress. There are two ways forward:

- HTTP proxying
- Winsock hooking

Both of these ideas are being looked into, but we are progressing most effectively with HTTP proxying for the moment.

RE: Emergency Announcement to Developers by eckocomplex on 10-05-2004 at 04:28 AM

Winsock hooking is going to be very tricky but the most likely way of doing this, if anyone knows someone that would be able to help (a VB or C++ coder is fine) could you please forward them to me or jon :).

RE: Emergency Announcement to Developers by RaceProUK on 10-05-2004 at 06:44 AM

I would like to lend a hand with this. My experience is rather limited, but I'm willing to try at least.

EDIT: Both VB (fairly good) and C++ (not bad and getting better).

RE: Emergency Announcement to Developers by jon on 10-05-2004 at 08:56 AM

I have contacted a developer and he is working on a winsock hooking DLL for me...

Another idea I had is to somehow REDIRECT the packets coming out of MSN 7 and FORCE them through my application... Though I have no idea how to do this or if it is possible.

RE: Emergency Announcement to Developers by Millenium_edition on 10-05-2004 at 02:49 PM

i have a great idea for dimension to do it without http proxy or stuff like that...

want it? contact me on msn.

RE: Emergency Announcement to Developers by ipab on 10-05-2004 at 08:19 PM

k M_E ill talk to u on msn then :P unless u blocked me :p

RE: RE: Emergency Announcement to Developers by jon on 10-05-2004 at 09:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition
i have a great idea for dimension to do it without http proxy or stuff like that...

want it? contact me on msn.

I have added you to MSN Messenger... You aren't online...

If this is regarding Winsock hooking, I already know...
RE: Emergency Announcement to Developers by jon on 10-13-2004 at 07:48 PM

BIG UPDATE:

I have just successfully proxied an MSN Messenger 7 connection. The problem is that it isn't CVR patched and MSN is rejecting MSN7 connecting -- BUT I CAN SEE THE PACKETS! And that's what counts!

If a protocol expert who knows what to change the MSNMSGRBETA to (tried it, didnt work) and how to in general spoof an MSN6.x client... Please add me to msn messenger ASAP: jonathan[at]xeomax[dot]net

Many thanks in advance,

jon
(very happy mood :))

RE: Emergency Announcement to Developers by RaceProUK on 10-13-2004 at 09:42 PM

If you can make it in such a way as to be able to change the content of the packets, then I would find that very useful indeed.

RE: Emergency Announcement to Developers by Funky_Monkey on 10-14-2004 at 06:09 AM

so does this mean that it would be wise to get rid of msn messenger 7 beta or can i still use it?

RE: Emergency Announcement to Developers by CookieRevised on 10-14-2004 at 10:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Funky_Monkey
so does this mean that it would be wise to get rid of msn messenger 7 beta or can i still use it?
This thread is for the people who want to make addons and such things for Messenger; to change the beheviour; add things; etc...

If you're not one of those people (who know exactly why they need it and how to do it) or you are not an official beta-tester of Messenger, then get rid of it; you're not suppose to use/have it...

The beta of Messenger 7 consists of a very huge security leak, that's why MS retracted this version and that's why people came up with the "CVR patch". But it is highly recommended that you don't use that because of the huge security leak.

As long as MS don't come up with an official release you're not supposed to use messenger 7.
RE: Emergency Announcement to Developers by RaceProUK on 10-15-2004 at 10:40 AM

Mess.be has an uber-patch with both re-enables MSN7 AND fixes the security hole.
However, it is still BETA software, and as such, shouldn't really be used by anyone. I have it for when Project RP gets to the point where I can start using it day-to-day, and will need to make sure it's compatible.